Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Saxon hoard found WW  (Read 24375 times)
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2014, 11:10:21 PM »

Coin rubbing is more of a collectors obsession when they're in that condition it was dropping them all in the same bag was what got me, I'm amazed they didn't block lift it Huh

Agree I thought the same, the way it was excavated was very unprofessional.

They can learn so much about how it was deposited by block lifting - it was exciting to see them being lifted - I just hope none were broken on the way to storage...and just think of the information that has been lost.
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2014, 11:20:10 PM »

Coin rubbing is more of a collectors obsession when they're in that condition it was dropping them all in the same bag was what got me, I'm amazed they didn't block lift it Huh

Agree I thought the same, the way it was excavated was very unprofessional.

They can learn so much about how it was deposited by block lifting - it was exciting to see them being lifted - I just hope none were broken on the way to storage...and just think of the information that has been lost.

Is block lifting more of a bronze fussed together hoard method? extracting loss silver may be different, but did I read somewhere it was in a lead bucket, I haven't seen and photos of that, they must of left it behind Cheesy
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2014, 12:33:24 AM »

Well - unless the bags of coins they have lifted out were in sequence and labelled as such, they have lost any information pertaining to how the hoard was deposited - and to be honest in the bags as they are, they don't have any information of whether the coins were parcelled up into smaller bags in the lead box / bucket / sheet of lead covering them - it certainly looked as if they were in some kind of shape in some of the pictures - but they didn't seem to be in a square shape which would have indicated something like a wooden box
jamiepearce

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2014, 09:53:46 AM »

Well - unless the bags of coins they have lifted out were in sequence and labelled as such, they have lost any information pertaining to how the hoard was deposited - and to be honest in the bags as they are, they don't have any information of whether the coins were parcelled up into smaller bags in the lead box / bucket / sheet of lead covering them - it certainly looked as if they were in some kind of shape in some of the pictures - but they didn't seem to be in a square shape which would have indicated something like a wooden box
I agree it does seem a shame that the hoard was not lifted out in one.
Is there a set of rules or procedures that FLO should follow or can they do want that feel fit?
 Huh
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »

I would think the reason they didn't block lift was that the extent of the hoard wasn't imagined to be as big the hole itself is far too narrow to excavate the hoard "properly", Mellonhead told me that they started out bagging layer by layer but as the light was failing it became obvious that they had to think more of getting it to safety.
Dale block lifting is used either for items that are very fragile and are being held together by the surrounding soil or for anything that you want to study "as is" in more controlled conditions.
If the coins are as reported just from Ethelred and Cnut then you're only looking at a 57 year period and so the chronology of how the hoard was laid down isn't quite as great but I'm quite sure that the rally site will be having a good investigation now by the local county archaeologist as having seen its location I feel pretty confident that the hoard was buried below the floor of a manorial complex with attached village. Wink
jamiepearce

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »

Wink thanks chef
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2014, 11:51:10 PM »

I see cheers for the info Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2014, 11:25:37 PM »

Better pics and report now up on WW site.......Not sure whether to go WOW! and drool or just be sick Grin

http://www.weekendwanderersdetecting.com/INTRODUCTION/Calendar_of_Events/SAXON_HOARD_/saxon_hoard_.html
david995

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2014, 11:45:20 PM »

As you say geoff  well actually what can you say !! but WOW

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2014, 11:49:43 PM »

Thanks for the link.

Even my missus has shown some interest in that hoard. She wasn't bothered about mine..........!
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2014, 11:49:58 PM »

Yes - serious drooling here  Grin
jamiepearce

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »

Any chance of a id on the cleaned coins Doc?
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2015, 01:43:22 PM »

WOW  WOW  WOW

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2015, 05:39:37 PM »

Truly an awesome hoard, worth a fortune monetary wise and for future research  Wink from the looks of the field there's some interesting earthworks going on as well, settlement of sorts, no doubt all will be revealed in time. The only problem I foresee is bettering the find in 2015  Grin Grin
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2015, 07:04:02 PM »

Any chance of a id on the cleaned coins Doc?

Just quickly, they all seem to be Aethelred II apart from the bottom right which is Cnut. I'm sure there will be an interesting reason why they were buried and not recovered - will have to wait to see if any later coins are included (i.e Harthacnut, Harold I etc) to tie it down to events.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal