Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New Safari outing today.  (Read 15826 times)
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 10:12:15 PM »

Thanks m8; now to get my hands on that Talacre treasure!  Grin Grin Grin

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
sinky

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »

hi all just wondering  would any one know the settings for the vikeing v 30 as my nephew has just bought one  ta  sinky .
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 11:16:52 PM »

Don't know what settings you're using Chris but rule of thumb is did everything that even hints at being other than iron and that includes the iffy signals.  Iffy can be iron with something hiding under or close by.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 01:33:34 AM »

Same as Val said.  I run mine wide open ..... no discrimination and dig -4 to +40

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 04:07:53 PM »

Initially I ran the Safari in conductive and all metals, just to see how I coped with the tones. I also tried all four pre-set settings, just to see them working. Conditions were so wet and muddy that I had trouble digging and replacing the turfs. Knowing that the site is so contaminated with hacked aluminium cans I eventually chose to ignore them and concentrate on coins.

It was really a get to know you session for me and the new machine. I wasn't too concerned about missing all those diamond rings and hammies;  I was to wet and caked in mud to worry to much. It took me ages to clean up all the gear when I got home.

Interestingly, last night I did a couple of test with copper clad decimal coins and they came up as -10's; as did a 5p decimal. I'm going to set up a test bed in the back garden and also use some of my earlier finds for a quick in-air test, just to get a better idea of what I'm looking at.

Thanks for all you replies and advice folks; hopefully I will be posting plenty of pictures of new finds during the new year. I wish you all a blessed and peaceful
Christmas and may Santa bring you all that you desire.   Wink

Stay safe and happy hunting.

Chris  Smiley 

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 04:20:54 PM »

Chris, only use the screen reading to get you used to possible targets.  Don't rely on it or take for granted what it says.
Remember it wasn't made for the U.K.   
As soon as you can try to use the tones.  Left side (Conductive) settings......LOW is good.   RIGHT side (Ferrous)   HIGH is good.

Modern 'coppers' do register as iron because of the core metal.

Val

bristolminelab
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »

if you use conductive tone low tone low numbers good as well as high number high tone good, High tone minus numbers will be iron .
If you use conductive tones use small use amount of discrim other wise you will get ear ache, and most important when using dicrim is swing slow Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 09:11:30 PM »

I have seen it advised that ( left side ) conductive tones without discrimination is best for English usage and sniffing out
hammered coins. Although my new ChefPhones, sitting under the Christmas tree, are not the advised ones for the Safari; they will suffice
better than my old ham radio phones that I have been using for the EuroAce and the CS4PI. That is until I can get my hands on a set of Wodland
ChefPhones.  Grin

I never used to run the CS4PI with any noise level because it irritated me, but I found the threshold setting on the Safari
quite acceptable. The depth indicator seemed quite accurate and I liked having the oppotunity to  choose the volume level for target tones. I have
read that it is better to run the machine on high volume and reduce the volume on the headphones; this helps to pick out the weeker signals?  Undecided

I remember once seeing a tv clip where an old lady asked a New York street worker " how do I get to Karnegi Hall?" and he
said "practice, lady practice". And that about summs up my present situation; get out there, in the field, and practice practice practice!  Smiley

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 09:26:14 PM »

Chris it not that the CP2's are not advised rather they are not the recommended set but there are many users happily using them on FBS machines, those recommendations are just my choices but I have the luxury of choice Wink
bristolminelab
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 09:29:04 PM »

i use chefphones cp1 they are great i have the volume on the machine turned right up and back in off on the headphones to suit, conductive tones are good on clean sites without much iron , but can be quite nosiey with a lot of iron and you have to keep looking at the screen in case you get a high tone with high numbers in the case of silver,
Most of the time i uses ferrous and listern to the tones closely and dig to way signals -5 and above , safaris are great with silver that gives a very high tone even higher than copper,
slowly slowly catchy monkey Wink
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:34:42 PM by bristolminelab » Logged
bristolminelab
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 09:32:44 PM »

If you give ring pulls a miss you could also also be missing rings and hammies along with loads of other goodies, remember the Minelabs were designed in Australia with an eye to the American market neither of which has Roman or hammies so ignore signals at your peril  Wink

i had a very worn jetton a couple of weeks ago that gave me -2 on the display so no not ignore the low numbers or you will miss out as Chef says
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 01:41:05 AM »

For the duration of my first detecting session with the Safari I kept the sensitivity on automatic but during an in air session with some of my finds from over the last couple of years I put the sensitivity on manual & maximum and was gobsmacked by the potential increase in depth. How are you folks finding the sensitivity performance on both beach and pasture? What sort of depths are you getting?

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 05:02:33 AM »

As I've told you before Chris, too high with the sensitivity on the beach can be a nightmare, especially around my area where the beaches are heavily contaminated.  The depth is amazing but it makes for hard work digging up so much rubbish. I tend to run it at no higher than 16 on the beach.
Fields, depending which ones, I go up to 20.  The same rule applies here though.  Very heavy mineralised and you need to go down or it sounds like your playing Pan Pipes.  All down to practice and experience really. Depending on size of target I have had signals from as deep as a ft.   What I'm waiting for is that Bronze Axe.  Bet that'll give one hell of a ring. Grin
 I never cease to be amazed at the tiny little things the Safari will pick up, especially silver or aluminium.

Val

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 08:59:49 AM »

Good morning Val, you were up early! Remembering what you had said earlier about sensitivity and depth, I didn't even try coming out of automatic on my very first session with the Safari. It was only last night, as I ran a couple of in-air tests, that I started to play with the sensitivity and upon seeing the potential depth thought
 "if only"!

Whilst waiting to escape and get some more Safari detecting under my belt I was just wondering about some more details of targets and depths that you folks are getting.

Have a safe day and happy hunting.  Smiley

Richie sixpence

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 08:44:21 AM »

Hi Chris
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the Safari. Good luck and happy hunting my friend.

Regards Richie sixpence  Smiley

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal