Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hawking Ring or Vervel  (Read 2160 times)
John Winter

Scribbler

« on: December 17, 2014, 12:07:43 AM »

Hawking rings or ‘vervels’ are rare detectorist finds. They were once attached to the leg of a bird of prey as a mark of ownership and those made of silver help in illustrating the development of hawking as an aristocratic pastime in the 17th century. A modern analogy would be a pigeon ring that bears details relating to the owner.

READ MORE
http://www.johnwinter.net/jw/2014/12/the-hawking-ring-or-vervel/

jtalbot0001

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 12:24:46 AM »

I knew I lost that somewhere! Don't reckon they will give it back to me though, pitty Smiley

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
nonker10

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:11:10 PM »

i found one but without my glasses it looked like a small washer but i could make out some writing on it.which read tho-salway-of throckmorton(worcestershire)..thomas salway who acted as guardian to to sir francis throckmorton.in the area of the findspot resided one of the seven sisters of thomas, (anne) married peter dauncer,esq of moreton in the county of hereford,so thomas was probably visiting anne and lost the vervel while hawking in herefordshire.hereford museum aquired the vervel which i was pleased about.who would have thought so much information would come from a seemingly insignificant find.all credit due to peter reavill flo who invested so much time in this.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:37:00 AM »

i found one but without my glasses it looked like a small washer but i could make out some writing on it.which read tho-salway-of throckmorton(worcestershire)..thomas salway who acted as guardian to to sir francis throckmorton.in the area of the findspot resided one of the seven sisters of thomas, (anne) married peter dauncer,esq of moreton in the county of hereford,so thomas was probably visiting anne and lost the vervel while hawking in herefordshire.hereford museum aquired the vervel which i was pleased about.who would have thought so much information would come from a seemingly insignificant find.all credit due to peter reavill flo who invested so much time in this.

Well done Nonker, thats what I love about detecting

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
nonker10

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:37:18 PM »

me too mate i feel i have found something which may never have come to light.cant beat it !!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal