Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Yesterdays buy... East Wiltshire unit  (Read 12166 times)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« on: December 10, 2014, 07:03:11 PM »

I thought id show the newest coin to the collection, its a East Wiltshire silver unit. Iv done a small but interesting cut and paste below... Thanks to detectorists Wink

The East Wiltshire tribe is a small group striking uninscribed coinage in gold (mainly base) silver & bronze. For many years the East Wilts coins were looked upon as crude contemporary copies of the Dobunnic series but thanks to many more being found by metal detectorists in recent years they are now recognised as much more than this. Found in North & East Wiltshire, Oxfordshire and occasionally in West Berkshire this tribe occupied land sandwiched between the Dobunni to the North & Atrebates to the South both of which must have been friendly neighbours as if not then surely the East Wilts Tribe would never have been as successful as to strike quite a series of coinage.

* 005.JPG (70.66 KB, 558x480 - viewed 2149 times.)

* 006.JPG (73.51 KB, 633x480 - viewed 2127 times.)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 07:57:22 PM »

I thought id show the newest coin to the collection, its a East Wiltshire silver unit. Iv done a small but interesting cut and paste below... Thanks to detectorists Wink

The East Wiltshire tribe is a small group striking uninscribed coinage in gold (mainly base) silver & bronze. For many years the East Wilts coins were looked upon as crude contemporary copies of the Dobunnic series but thanks to many more being found by metal detectorists in recent years they are now recognised as much more than this. Found in North & East Wiltshire, Oxfordshire and occasionally in West Berkshire this tribe occupied land sandwiched between the Dobunni to the North & Atrebates to the South both of which must have been friendly neighbours as if not then surely the East Wilts Tribe would never have been as successful as to strike quite a series of coinage.
Another one for the collection Dale, they are fasanating little coins, and that's s nice example mate.   Wink Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:56:12 PM »

Cheers Paul Wink They are fascinating coins. The good thing about the Dobunni tribe is there's a massive variety of units,  but one thing iv always wondered was why there dished??
nonker10

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:29:32 PM »

iv'e found a couple of quarter gold staters locally in hereford  one of corio and one uninscribed and they are beautiful coins.a freind of mine found a full gold stater 20 yards from me and the workmanship is stunning.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 11:32:32 PM »

The dishing is just how they made the dies - I sometimes think it helped centre (and hold) the blank when striking - if you think about it there are many dished ancients - even coins of Alexander the great have a dished reverse and domed (by virtue of the image of 'Alexander') on the obverse 0 it also makes it a bit more an imposing coin for less metal it seems
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 09:41:45 AM »

Great explanation probono , I know one thing I've been lucky enough to find quite a few staters and 1/4 s and as you sieve through the soil with your hands you don't have get excited when you feel that dished coin, my Dobunic Comux was found at night ( legally I mite add) and I knew what I was holding before I set eyes on it, obviously never knew it was gold till the light shone it, a great feeling Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »

iv'e found a couple of quarter gold staters locally in hereford  one of corio and one uninscribed and they are beautiful coins.a freind of mine found a full gold stater 20 yards from me and the workmanship is stunning.

I remember your two quarters nonker, your uninscribed looked very similar to the Corio, I later found out the obverse die for this coin was used until completely obliterated, that's why it looked blank.
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 08:37:15 PM »

The dishing is just how they made the dies - I sometimes think it helped centre (and hold) the blank when striking - if you think about it there are many dished ancients - even coins of Alexander the great have a dished reverse and domed (by virtue of the image of 'Alexander') on the obverse 0 it also makes it a bit more an imposing coin for less metal it seems

Cheers for the info probono Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 08:40:49 PM »

Great explanation probono , I know one thing I've been lucky enough to find quite a few staters and 1/4 s and as you sieve through the soil with your hands you don't have get excited when you feel that dished coin, my Dobunic Comux was found at night ( legally I mite add) and I knew what I was holding before I set eyes on it, obviously never knew it was gold till the light shone it, a great feeling Wink

Don't rub it in Paul Cheesy Cheesy Fair play you've done well over the years, as you've said before the finds don't come with out the hours Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 10:19:35 AM »

I remember being told that when I was first starting to collect ancients - many of the fakes aren't dished - at least they weren't when they were being pressed. I was also told to look out for completely parallel faces on the coins - genuine coins are usually a bit thicker on one side than the other.
topcat
Rally attendee

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 09:27:32 PM »

This is a little silver i found near Newbury Berks a few years ago Caraticus have not seen many of these .

* coin0002.jpg (35.68 KB, 240x245 - viewed 1788 times.)

* scancoin0003.jpg (11.87 KB, 155x133 - viewed 2205 times.)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 09:06:31 PM »

This is a little silver i found near Newbury Berks a few years ago Caraticus have not seen many of these .

Nice find thanks for showing Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 09:26:26 PM »

I thought id show this one from the Treasure Hunting mag, what a find !! A Iron age coin die Wink

* 002.JPG (74.13 KB, 640x480 - viewed 798 times.)

* 001.JPG (53.1 KB, 640x480 - viewed 832 times.)
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »

I saw that some time ago (the article rather than the die!).

It would be quite a magic thing to find one of those.
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 01:37:22 PM »

I thought id show a new silver unit I bought, this one is known as the East Wiltshire Upavon Moon Head.

* 004.JPG (71.34 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 729 times.)

* 003.JPG (77.34 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 717 times.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:43:32 PM by Dale » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal