Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gray Ghost or Sunray headphones  (Read 7255 times)
Richy
Superhero Member

« on: June 08, 2009, 01:02:19 PM »

I'm in the market for a new set of phones and its a toss up between Gray Ghosts and Sunrays.

Have any of you lovely peeps got experience of either of these phones?

Which of these would you recommend? 

You can show a gift horse water but a pencil must be lead.
the sutt

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 01:18:08 PM »

sorry richy i use the big blues, cant help you on this one.
waltonbasinman
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »

Sorry Richy, had  the Hunters free with me detector a few years ago and they never let me down yet.
Debbie

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 02:16:58 PM »

Richy - I use the Grey Ghost with the E-Trac. Very happy with them - big clear bell-tone on the goodies  Grin Grin
U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 03:01:17 PM »

Depends rather on the detector you use. The standard Grey Ghosts and NDT's have a click volume control which with some machines without a volume control leaves the volume to loud, so you click one down and then their not loud enough.

When I tried the SunRays they seemed to work better with more machines.

My current favourites are Killers B's ST Optima's. Don't think you can get them in the U.K. unfortunately. My back ups are Grey Ghosts and Mole Superphones. Some are better with one machine but worse with others. Any chance you could try a few out at a Rally ?
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 03:18:22 PM »

Yeah I'm after a new set of phones as well , for my DFX so I'll keep an eye on this thread Richie. I like the big ear cups on the Koss UR30 , any other phones got the earcup that goes around your ear?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Debbie

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 03:23:51 PM »

Depends how big your ears are Rob..............  Grin You can try mine for size when I next see you  Kiss
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 03:49:31 PM »

Thanks for your replies, I should have mentioned they're for my e-trac.

I have bad tinnitus in my left ear so I need phones with separate volume controls.

Debbie do your Ghosts have a click volume control that Brian mentioned?

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 04:41:07 PM »

Hi Richy, What phones are you using at the moment ?

chef
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »

Geoff I'm using Hunter phones from Regton.

KenKelowna

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 09:35:49 PM »

My opinion is to go with the Gray Ghost NDT, they are more reliable than the Sunray.
My Sunray broke down after 1 month, flimsy wires, cost a lot to repair under warranty.
Gray Ghost NDT have been good for me.

Tesoro Gold Star Dealer.

I not only sell Tesoro, I use them.
Debbie

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 08:00:41 AM »

Hi Richy
Yes, the volume control is a 'click' one, but the steps are small.  Volume controls are on both ears (some other makes of headphones are just on one).  I have mine cranked up to the max - and, forgive me for sounding rather 'thick' here ( I don't care how a car works - as long as when I get in it and turn the key it starts and goes  Grin Grin), but I don't know whether it is either the headphones or the detector that has a limiter in it - but I get a nice crisp loud signal if the coin is 2" deep or 10" deep - I then glance at the depth indicator on the screen to get an idea of how deep the target is.  The volume in the detector is on the max setting too. Other detectors / headphones I have used in the past have given a quieter signal if the target is deep.  This is why though, with the E-Trac, I am confident that if I go over something, I will get a signal that it is there, and if I don't find anything special when I am out, then it is because I just haven't gove over it.  Sad  I have put my name down to go on Sunday (weather being fair  Cheesy) so you can have a listen through them then.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 09:46:21 AM »

Both the Grey Ghost's and the Sun ray's are excellent headphones, the only real difference is that the sun ray's employ a switch to turn the limiter on or off.
Both use the same make of headset and speakers. the one complaint that some people have with the Grey Ghosts is as UK Brian has said is the volume steps are to large also that the limiter works too well making all targets sound off at the same level. Also the price of both units is very high compared to the cost of the parts used.

The choice of headphones is a very personal thing as it is completely subjective i.e. if you have only used your hunters with the E-Trac then to you that is how the E-Trac is meant to sound.
Not trying to feather my own nest (much) but the Koss UR 30's use the only speakers that have been matched to the sign wave generated by Minelab machines.
Unfortunately they have used the same headset of the UR20's which is designed for home HiFi use and so does not lend itself well to the rigours of outdoor detecting.
That is why I have started upgrading other peoples and will be making my own headsets based on the Koss speakers.
So after that bit of techno-babble what I would suggest is try before you buy let your ears be the judge on sounds not on other peoples views.

Chef
Richy
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »

Debbie,Ken and Geoff thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Ken the Sunray phones seem to have a manufacturing fault as I've noticed a few people on other forums have had problems with wires breaking etc. Sad

Debbie very helpful info, thanks for taking the time to reply.I'll take up your kind offer at the next rally  Smiley

Geoff, sound advice as usual, cheers mate.  Smiley

U.K. Brian

Pulse's,XP's,Nautilus's,T2,Whites,Minelab etc

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 08:16:12 AM »

One important point that didn't come up is the jack plug type. If the jack is on the back of the control box  (ie facing the coil) then a right angle jack plug is best. Use a straight plug and the wires break down quicker.

Have a machine like the Whites XLT/DFX etc with the plug going into the rear of the control box then the box cover prevents a right angle jack being pushed in sufficiently.

There are also a few U.S. sets that use a flat/round jackplug that catches on the edge of the control box on the detectors that have the socket placed tight into the corner.

Picture is of my most used headphones. The yellow Mole Super Phones are the oldest and still look like new as all plastic and stainless steel (now on third replacement lead), The Grey Ghosts rust round the external controls and the right angle jacks fail so these have been replaced a few times. Present favourites are the Killer B's (top middle). Good tone, very comfortable. Large external controls make them noisey on the beach in high winds so you have to stretch a woolly hat over.
The other pairs are home made or modified with a ton of sound insulation for beach use in storm conditions/crashing waves. No external controls for the same reason.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal