Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Detecting Wales Rally 83 - ‘The Slip-Sliding Away Rally’  (Read 14490 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 08:36:45 AM »

That's a great ID on the chafing dish item, you learn something new every day! I really thought it looked older. Is there a picture anywhere of a complete chafing dish? I just want to understand the purpose of the face part being able to swivel. Is the face part meant to be the leg or foot part of the dish? Can't figure out what a chafing dish looks like. What would it have been used for?

Swivelling support from a copper alloy chafing dish. The find consists of two elements, an incomplete bar, topped by a grotesque man's head shown in profile, he has a large nose, thick lips and a wide trapezoid eyes, these details being shown by deeply incised lines. A beard may be suggested, but there is no hair, the head perhaps being covered by a cap. The bar curves away to form rounded shoulders below which it is broken. The other element is a straight, bifurcated, tuning fork like, bar, the first part being secured between the arms by a rivet which passes through both parts. It too is truncated. Supports like this were used in sets of three on chafing dishes, the part bearing the head being riveted to the dish to form legs and the other part being free to swivel over the top of the dish to support the plate. These supports are discussed by Gordon Bailey (Detector Finds 4. 58-9) with illustrations of their use. A date in the sixteenth or seventeenth century is likely.

Anyone got a copy of this book ?

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 08:57:58 AM »

yes taff, looking at it now

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »

Well researched chaps. Heres another image of a similar item.

Great to see that we are all still learning on the finds identification front.

* wmid-c2b365.jpg (42.36 KB, 585x500 - viewed 2365 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »

Wow Mark I think you might have stolen find of the rally with that one Shocked At first I thought "La Tene III all the way" but looking at that spring I'm now thinking earlier, It could add weight to Mikes pin being closer to Bronze Age and also throw wide open the age on that figure Undecided

Well ignore the above Cheesy It's a middle Anglo-Saxon lozengiform brooch 700-900 AD and still the find of the rally for me and still leaves the pin and face wide open Wink

It's a great find Mark and well-spotted on that ID Geoff. I thought it was 100% La Tene when I saw it, and I wasn't aware that there were Saxon brooches in this one-piece form. The write-up of another on the PAS site is interesting:

Naomi Payne is currently reporting on some examples recently excavated at Sedgeford in Norfolk. She notes "Middle Anglo-Saxon safety-pin brooches appear to be a type found mainly in the east of England. Hattatt published two examples (Visual Catalogue, fig. 140, nos. 1442 and 1385) from Norfolk but misattributed them to the Bronze Age or Iron Age. Excavations at Flixborough, Humberside, have produced nine, eight of which are similar and one almost identical. There is another parallel from Brandon, Suffolk (no. 5007). A further example from Gringley on the Hill, Nottinghamshire has been recorded on the Portable Antiquities Scheme database (reference SWYOR-B804D7)." Further examples on the PAS database now include GLO-8D5E03, SF7054, KENT1321 (no illustration) and NLM7136 (no illustration). Two have characteristic 8th-century animal art (HAMP-CEBED7 and NMS-829627). See also K. Leahy, The Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Lindsey, page 146, Fig 52

I hope I am excused therefore, as Hattatt himself got it wrong!
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »

We will let you off on this occasion Peter, but try not to make a habit of it! Wink

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
nonker10

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 10:30:27 PM »

i love it. well identified everyone concerned,a right bunch of sleuths. Shocked
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 12:51:08 AM »

Tut tut Peter  Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal