Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another newbie  (Read 3916 times)
Romanytony
Rally attendee

« on: November 09, 2014, 07:59:24 PM »

Always wanted to try detecting, and the recent BBC series finally did it, so here I am. I have just printed off a NCMD application form have ordered a C-Scope (only a 440) and a folding spade and am ready to fill a flask and make some sandwiches.
I have never tried this before so could use any advice, I live in West Wales, near Newcastle Emlyn, so am close to the coast.  I never thought to check if the C-Scope is any good in wet sand, might have to buy another already!
I understand permission has to be obtained from land owners, so is there any land that is open to all? I know I will want to be out as soon as the scope arrives.
I studied Ancient History and Archaeology at Lampeter and have been on a couple of digs with them, and one of the lecturers is very interested in any old aircraft finds. I live in an old woollen mill that was used to house Americans and Italian POW's in the last war. That's another question, sorry, do metal detectors read through tarmac? Anyway, glad you are here to point me in the right direction.
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 08:49:36 PM »

Welcome to the forum Tony Smiley

I havent used one of the newer c-scopes, my last was a VLF600 way way back... I think you will struggle on the wet sand, there arent that many machines that will cope well on the wet stuff, but there is plenty of dry sand to get out on and see if you like the hobby before shelling out more cash, like we all do... Wink

No land is really open to all I'm afraid, even public footpaths belong to the farmer, best get knocking on a few doors or maybe join a local club if there is one local.  The closest to open land is the foreshore, you just need a free CROWN ESTATE permit that you can get instantly online, just google for it.

Its always worth trying a rally if you jjust want a day out...

Good luck and keep us posted Smiley
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:51:13 PM by Da Monkey » Logged

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 01:11:30 AM »

Welcome to the DW Forum Tony

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Johnboy25

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »

Welcome and enjoy  Tony to a friendly  group.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 01:45:06 PM »

Welcome to DW Tony.  As already said there isn't any 'Open to all' land.  Sounds as if you'd be hard pressed to do any better than detect around the old Mill you live in.   You're sure to find something nice.  Best place to start with a new detector is you're own back garden. You'll be amazed how much will be there.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »

welcome Tony  Wink

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
alun

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 05:47:11 PM »

Welcome to DW Tony.
You are in a prime area for some great finds in Newcastle Emlyn buddy. And with your knowledge of Archeology, you should be finding interesting details soon.
I used to have a few statics in Aberdwylan and Cenarth, with The farms around Llechryd always being open to the history on their land. The beaches have been busy all through the summer, so beach work should be well up for it, especially Poppit sands. I am not a beach work guy, so advice on which is best I can't advise, but the dunes down by the car park, chalets and the sandy lane has always paid dividends in the past. Wish I could say that gold was in my pouch, but silver and coins are all in high numbers if you hit the right spot.
Don't forget to get the "crown estates" permit first, this is free and on line to down load. Don't venture across the lane towards the car park, as Ceredigion council don't allow detecting in any shape or form.
Also try Mwnt, but be aware of the cliffs and also do not be tempted to detect the dunes or around the car park, as it's National Trust land.
Have fun Tony, hope you enjoy our hobby and look forward to seeing any finds.
P.S: If you find gold watch out for Badger.  Roll Eyes
You will find out the longer you post in here buddy.  Grin

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
whosyouruncle

Dig attender

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »

Hi Tony.
Welcome and good hunting M8. Smiley

whosyouruncle
Romanytony
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 11:28:37 AM »

Thanks for your welcome, and the good advice Alun. Ceredigion doesn't surprise me, I've heard they're a nasty lot up there. Still waiting for the new toy to arrive. In the meantime I am watching YouTube videos to gain knowledge, I am amazed at the price of a CTX 3030! That would take a lot of penny's to get that sort of money back, but I suppose when the bug bites hunting fever takes over. My home is surrounded by a lot of Tarmac, it was converted into a leisure centre for a while so a lot of it is car park, and the rest is built on rock.  But I did read somewhere that it stands on the site of a Saxon corn mill. I need to join a local club, hope they not all using 3030's and make fun of my modest toy.
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 06:46:03 PM »

Welcome Tony,and good luck.
anthonyjay

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 06:59:31 PM »

Welcome Tony to a great site/club, you should enjoy this lot who are all very helpful. ATB Tony ( AJ )

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal