Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hazards Of Detecting With Animals And Children!!  (Read 6983 times)
Spooyt Vane
« on: November 07, 2014, 04:03:51 PM »

Detecting this week on grass field with a Shetland pony for company .That every so often would sidle up to you and proceed to bite you if you didn't get out way quickly..A little later on I went back to my bag to find the horse had nicked my sandwiches out of my bag and bloody well eaten them...B-------D..Then the owner arrived with two dogs and then the dogs decided to scrap.Then the horse joined in ..Like a Millwall v Westham match at its height.The baby woke up next screaming and I decided to retreat..better part of valour...Detecting is a Grin

funny old hobby .
mrstonytrees

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Shetland pony - tiny horse, massive attitude
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 12:21:36 AM »

Grin Grin Grin just like a pantomime

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:56:49 PM »

I often detect at Talacre in North East wales and I get to meet many dogs that are not on leads. Most are just curious and want to see what I am digging for and some even try to help with the digging.

On Monday, whilst I was down on my knees, a giant Newfoundland beasty decided to have a good old sniff in my bag. Knowing the dog from past meetings, I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and said get out of it! Being over twice the weight that I am; he totally ignored me and slobbered away at my cheese butties. His owner eventually called him away and my dinner was saved.

Mind you, there was one occasion when a dog peed in my bag and lunch was a total loss. Not been bitten yet though! Or do I speak too soon and tempt providence?  Undecided

Oh, the hazards that we detectorists face!  Shocked

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 10:59:34 PM »

Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 11:20:46 PM »

Strange this thread should re-appear today.  I was swinging along minding my own business when this Cocker Spaniel appears in front of my with a ball in his mouth. He puts it down at my feet and stands wagging his tail and looking at me expectantly.  Oh, says I, you want me to throw it for you. Big big mistake. Once turned into half a dozen and then I got worried he might be a stray. I looked around for an owner and the only  person I could see was walking in a strait line away from us, head in the air, all prim and proper, spick and span, looking like and advert for a magazine for the over 50's. No hint she was the owner, she didn't even look our way.
Much to my surprise the dog took off after her. Phew, back to swinging.  About 20 mins later the dog re-appeared. Same thing all over again only this time the lady was walking back with a friend. They walked strait past us so I shouted over to her, Is this your dog. Yes, says she and just carried on. The dog dutifully ran after her.  What a stuck up Moo. All that poor dog wanted was some attention. She couldn't even throw a ball for it.  Don't know why some people keep them.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »

Quite, this was last week , out with Nobby and JCB - The animal in the video is neither of them by the way - I dont trot that way Wink

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152940550023081&l=6075981539623499315

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 12:01:56 AM »

I hate dogs, they always want to pee on the bag or detector. Bitches just seem to want to be friendly. Unless peeing on ya bag is a way of being doggy friendly?

The same day that the Newfoundland wanted to munch my cheese sandwiches, two ladies (without dogs) approached me to ask for directions to the lighthouse. As I looked up, one of the ladies was a dead ringer for an old friend that had died of cancer some years ago. I was only when she spoke in a cultured accent that similarity was gone and I was left feeling a little shaken. As the two ladies left to make their way to the lighthouse, I was left with the feeling that we had spoken before but I couldn't recall where or when. Perhaps the isolation of the sands is getting me?  Undecided

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 12:04:08 AM »

Quite, this was last week , out with Nobby and JCB - The animal in the video is neither of them by the way - I dont trot that way Wink

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152940550023081&l=6075981539623499315

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin You just made my day!!!!!

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 02:36:22 AM »

It's a way of claiming territory Chris.    It could have been worse. There's only one other way of marking their patch, and we wont go into that  Roll Eyes

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
JBM

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 09:35:44 AM »

Lickers are fine, its the biters that are a problem. Wink Smiley  Jerry..
mrstonytrees

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »

I've had an Alsation (the dog obviously) wee on my fishing bag once when I was on aberavon beach. When I complained to the owner he was quite taken aback and said that it wasn't his fault. I did point out that he held a lead in his hand that was obviously not attached to the dog but he still didn't think it was an issue. I'm a dog lover, but not everyone is and some people are absolutely terrified of them. Use some common sense, i say!
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 02:18:36 PM »

It's a way of claiming territory Chris.    It could have been worse. There's only one other way of marking their patch, and we wont go into that  Roll Eyes

Val

Shocked

Dylan
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »

The biters are definitely the problem.

I was once in the middle of a large field in the middle of nowhere concentrating on detecting and oblivious to everything around me.  I just happened to look up and saw these 2 big dogs about 20 yards racing towards me.  I thought to myself that they were coming to say hello but I soon realised that that wasn’t their intention – their lips were drawn back, their teeth were bared and they were growling and snarling.  One went to one side of me and the other went to the other side and I realised that they were pretty serious about attacking me.  I stuck out my arm with the detector on as far as I could to ward one dog off and the other arm with the spade (unfortunately a mini one and not a full-sized one) towards the other.  This worked briefly but then they started to circle me trying to find a way past.  I had to try and somehow watch dogs both in front and behind me.  This went on for a couple of minutes until the owner suddenly appeared in a gap in the hedge.  I shouted over ‘are these your **** dogs – get them under control’ (or words to that effect!).  ‘Oh sorry’ he said, ‘I didn’t expect to see anyone out here’ and promptly called his dogs over before walking off without even a ‘sorry’.

I think I was pretty lucky to escape unscathed but I was pretty shaken up by it even though I’m a dog lover.  My young daughter often comes with me and I dread to think what might have happened had she been there on that occasion as I probably couldn't have defended the two of us.

I wish I had come to my senses quickly enough to either get some details from the owner or get a photo of him (with or without his dogs) and report him to the police as these dogs were clearly a danger and young girls from the local stables often ride down the track at the edge of the field – who knows what might have happened had the dogs met them….
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »

One word....Headphones!
Dogs hate headphones no not just mine but all of them  Grin A dog's eyesight isn't what we would consider great and lacks the detailed information that our sight gives working mainly or shape and movement with their senses of smell and hearing more than making up for it, "most" dogs don't get upset until they get relatively close and this is because the top half of your body is now in silhouette and the shape of your head is just wrong! (no offence Dylan Cheesy), so if your worried about dogs get those headphones off before they get in range and hope they're not just nasty little b*****ds Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal