Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sites in North Wales (beaches or inland)  (Read 6654 times)
Alty_Steve
Rally attendee

"What does a guy have to do to dig some holes?"

« on: October 28, 2014, 09:10:28 AM »

Hi Guys

Really glad to be here, bought a Garrett Ace 250 2 years ago, then lost all hope of using it after finding nowhere to detect locally (farmers here rent the land from petroleum giant Shell or its owned by the national trust)
Anyways I have 2 boys (now 10 and 12) wanting to get stuck in. I love North Wales and know there are many beaches, but I was hoping someone could give me a steer on decent sites that aren't too busy with people (whilst we find our feet)?
Though a novice I've soaked up lots of info from you guys by trawling this site and others (where to look on beaches, permissions required by the crown, no detecting on private land without permission and the code of conduct Etc.)
Gaining permissions at this phase is out of the question due to me not knowing anyone in the vicinity, I was planning on Talacre for a day this week as my kids would probably like some old .303 casings (if they turned up) but I hear the area is not too 'desirable' anymore?

Thats not me being snobby by the way, just have to balance where I take my kids, any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated

Garrett Ace 250
jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:52:58 AM »

if you want to go to talacre the man to talk to is Resurgam he always goes down there collecting (items ) Smiley

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
Alty_Steve
Rally attendee

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »

if you want to go to talacre the man to talk to is Resurgam he always goes down there collecting (items ) Smiley

Thanks, that's very kind of you, I'll seek him out

Garrett Ace 250
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 10:11:54 PM »

Hi Guys

Really glad to be here, bought a Garrett Ace 250 2 years ago, then lost all hope of using it after finding nowhere to detect locally (farmers here rent the land from petroleum giant Shell or its owned by the national trust)
Anyways I have 2 boys (now 10 and 12) wanting to get stuck in. I love North Wales and know there are many beaches, but I was hoping someone could give me a steer on decent sites that aren't too busy with people (whilst we find our feet)?
Though a novice I've soaked up lots of info from you guys by trawling this site and others (where to look on beaches, permissions required by the crown, no detecting on private land without permission and the code of conduct Etc.)
Gaining permissions at this phase is out of the question due to me not knowing anyone in the vicinity, I was planning on Talacre for a day this week as my kids would probably like some old .303 casings (if they turned up) but I hear the area is not too 'desirable' anymore?

Thats not me being snobby by the way, just have to balance where I take my kids, any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated

Don't let not knowing people stop you from asking, what's the worst they can do?

XP Deus user
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:41:58 PM »

Welcome to the forum Alty Steve

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Alty_Steve
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »

Thanks for the responses guys...anyone recommend a better beach in North Wales than Talacre?

Garrett Ace 250
roaljodaka
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 07:35:09 AM »

Thanks for the responses guys...anyone recommend a better beach in North Wales than Talacre?

Splash point  Smiley
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »

Conwy Morfa

Old Victorian dump bordered the beach, now where the dunes are, erosion results in bottles and odds and sods being washed onto the beach from time to time.

XP Deus user
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 08:52:45 PM »

I have worked Talacre, Prestatyn, Barkby, Rhyl, and Kinmel Bay but most of my beach finds have been off Talacre sands; with the oldest coin being a George III halfpenny. My buddy has had a rare trading token and I have heard of a silver hammered being given up by the sands.

Most detectorists avoid Talacre due to the large amount of scrap and WWII projectiles that litter the beach but I am convinced that there are better things to be found if we will only have the patience to endure the scrap and keep detecting. Even days when finds are few and far between; clues to better things turn up during conversations with locals and visitors.

I will be on the Talacre sands all day on Sunday. If you are there, I will more than happy to stop detecting for a chat.

Chris   Smiley

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Alty_Steve
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 11:56:47 AM »

So here is my 'haul' from Talacre yesterday, spent 3 hours there and enjoyed it very much. Mostly worked the pebble line to the left of the carpark. The Garrett Ace does not like wet sand though! False readings and phantom/erratic beeps. May need a wand and scoop to expedite finds in future.

Big thanks to Chris (Resurgam) for the info and low down on the beach  Grin

* image.jpg (138.97 KB, 648x484 - viewed 796 times.)

Garrett Ace 250
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 12:31:56 PM »

All the scrap at Talacre certainly gives us plenty of practice and we occasionally get that good find. I am still convinced that there are some hidden beauties just waiting for one of us to discover them, and I'm not talking about the nude blond that sometimes sunbathes close to the dunes!  Shocked

Had you walked further west until you came to the third old WWII pillbox, you would have found loads of WWII projectiles and perhaps a coin or two.
I sometimes use a Garrett EuroAce and find that it also hates the wet sand. If I knock back the sensitivity it will perform acceptably but suffers a loss of depth.

Don't be disheartened by your first attempt at Talacre, there are finds there to be made!  Wink

* Some Talacre finds.jpg (173.47 KB, 580x397 - viewed 762 times.)

* Sunday March 9th.jpg (120.44 KB, 422x596 - viewed 1096 times.)

* Talacre Sunday 8th September.jpg (215.6 KB, 573x400 - viewed 1102 times.)

* Sunday March 23rd.jpg (209.25 KB, 400x541 - viewed 1081 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Alty_Steve
Rally attendee

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 08:17:46 PM »

Thanks Chris, I'm definitely keen to do more and my boys would love a good old Lee Enfield 303 cartridge ( I used it use them in army cadets)

Do you recommend the Garrett pro pointer to get the finds out quicker?

Steve  Smiley

Garrett Ace 250
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 08:51:34 PM »

A pinpointer is a great asset to improving recovery of your targets. I use a Garrett ProPointer but did run into a few problems with it after a while. It is presently performing quite well at the moment. There are a number of other pin pointers on the market, but don't be tempted to purchase one of those cheap ones from Maplins!

Some time ago, whilst out detecting with the "North Wales Dirt Diggers", I managed to recover an Elizabeth I hammered silver sixpence and a Henry VIII hammered that was minted posthumously at York. I recon without the ProPointer I would probably not have recovered either coin.  Cool

Alty_Steve
Rally attendee

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »

Yes I thought they looked useful. I dug a few holes at Talacre and still had a while before I found the metal, figured pin pointers were a good idea. Desperately looking for land to try now

Did you get my message Chris?

Garrett Ace 250
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »

Got the pm and will email you the promised map and information just as soon as I get back home and have access to my other files.

Also put in a good few hours at Talacre today and recovered £1 x1, 20p x1, and 2p x5. You mussed have missed them when you were there!  Shocked

Richie Sixpence, from Flint, also worked along side me and bagged a few coins and some WWII scrap.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal