Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flo Shropshire  (Read 5532 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »

I don't show the Farmer hardly any finds before recording but then again I've made it clear that all finds will be recorded and the vast majority are returned to them afterwards and even those I ask to keep a copy of the PAS record is given.
I have only been asked by two farmers not to record and I honoured their wishes which was easy as I simply never detected their land, I don't have many requirements when asking for permission but recording is the one non-debatable one.
I detect for the love of the hobby yes but most of all for what history the finds unlock about the land, as I've said before without recording we are not "saving history" we are stealing it as when we die regardless how lovely our collections they will inevitably be broken up and sold or given away but the importance of relative locations of finds will probably have gone to the grave with us making what could have been an historically important collection into a few boxes of "bits" that hold no more importance than if they had been bought from a Cairo bazaar.   Wink
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »

Youre being silly if you pardon the phrase Roll Eyes

When you are detecting on farmers or landowners fields dependant on the agreement you have if any, all finds on his property as a matter of courtesy should be brought to the land owners attention and discuss whether he wants the items recorded, bearing in mind that both parties should be reminded the law of the land and act responsibly. If there are no traceable decendants available, would you not question the validity of detecting on ground whereby you have not got permission to detect.

Its just common courtesy to inform the landowner before recording items. Grin

Now doubt you will wish to have the last word  Tongue

Parus
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:05:05 AM by Radnor Bandit (Ian) » Logged
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 01:03:25 PM »

For general recording in the future you may want to go self record,
At least you have access to all your finds and copies of the reports can be printed off and given to your landowners.
Though it initially has to be set up by Peter ( i think just to allow you access the 2nd level security on the PAS website) But the BM or another FLO may be able to do it as well.
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 10:44:09 PM »

I am not advocating that items that should be recorded through pas, are not, because a given landowner prefers them not to be, as I agree with Geoff that all farms I detect, I also stipulate that I detect as a responsible detectorist. However it is still courtesy  if no agreement is in place between you and the landowner to tell them you intend to record through pas. I cannot see why there would be a problem with that. I have never come across anyone who has asked me not to record.

Jeff at Cpat suggested a while ago that I might start self recording under his watchful eye, I did not feel confident or as knowledgeable as some to self record, I would worry that I might get it wrong.
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 10:57:07 PM »

There is detailed guide for self recording on the scheme available.
I was given one when I went self record. It explains  how to correctly record objects and what elements and terminology are needed for coherent recording.
All self recorded items are double checked and amended if necessary by FLO anyway ,  so any mistakes arn't a problem.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 10:58:03 PM »

You don't have to worry about getting it wrong as long as you can photograph it, measure and weigh it and add a map ref the find itself is checked thoroughly by the FLO so even if it's a hammy and you don't know of who the FLO will do the rest Wink
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 11:07:42 PM »

Thank you Geoff,

I am collecting a number of silver coins and artefacts that have gone through pas, from Mark Lodwick shortly, and will discuss self recording when we meet up  Grin

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal