Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Toning coins  (Read 3811 times)
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« on: October 23, 2014, 05:09:36 PM »

I've just straightened out two hammered pennies and they are very bright silver now. Is a dip in bleach best to re-tone them or another method ?
grego
NWDD Member

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »

Hi Chris i believe bleach will make them go very black,then you will have to rub them in foil to get the highlights back again.

Grego
WEBBER

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:37:24 PM »

Yes I agree this works well for the coins I have straightened just keep your eye on them when they are in the bleach.
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:05:55 PM »

Cheers for your answers boys, might try it. I was hoping for something a bit less severe.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »

I've not tried the bleach method.

There's several things you can try - depends on how far you want to go Smiley

I personally have found that the acid I use when I'm cleaning corrosion off coins, when spent, can be mixed with a little Ciel hand soap (or some other brands) - if you rub the coin with this mixture you can basically have almost any colour toning you want (purples, blues, yellows, even dark toning if you leave it for long enough).

You could also find someone who smokes a lot and leave the coin in their house for a while.

Or you could leave them outside on a flat roof for a couple of months - I used to use this method for bronzes too.
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »

These coins are a voided long cross and a John shortcrooss. I've put a split in the longcross but the John coin has turned out well. I'm struggling to id mint and moneyer as the coins are so bright after annealing, any more ideas please ?
jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »

hope your not still using the hammer and anvyl method chris lol have a look at these 2 vids they show anyone who wants to do it the proper way to do it Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC_WcytrR9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Q0EFpobME

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 02:30:50 PM »

These coins are a voided long cross and a John shortcrooss. I've put a split in the longcross but the John coin has turned out well. I'm struggling to id mint and moneyer as the coins are so bright after annealing, any more ideas please ?

ive herd a boiled egg,mash the egg cover the egg and coin together its suopposed to work
or a candle that puts a black soot on it
or blech but dont leave it in long and then spit and foil

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 03:29:46 PM »

hope your not still using the hammer and anvyl method chris lol have a look at these 2 vids they show anyone who wants to do it the proper way to do it Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC_WcytrR9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Q0EFpobME
The longcross was already split but the shortcross has turned out well. Both of them are very bright now and hard to id (especially with my eyes ).  I just want a contrast to make an id easier.
grego
NWDD Member

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 04:48:12 PM »

Very good vidios Jason.

Grego
Rob Two Spades

XP Deus

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 06:36:45 PM »

Get a little bit of yellow sulphur (Gardening suppliers sell it to kill fungus on greenhouse plants and kill bugs too) and home made iron filings and heat it up with a small butane torch. Put the burnt remains in a jam jar.
Put your coin into the middle of a cotton wool ball soaked in water and drop the ball into a the jar. Carefully add some dilute acid to the bottom of the jar (I use a bit of industrial cleaner that is 6% hydrochloric acid). Make a small hole in the jar lid and tighten on the jar. Leave the jar outdoors and away from kids or pets etc for 8 hours.  The result is a coin that is chemically identical to a hammered coin thats been in the ground for years. Rub it with a bit of foil and you get that smelly gas coming off.

2017:
9 Hammereds - best: Edward IV Groat
46 Roman Bronze
1 Roman Denarius
Late Saxon strap end
2 Roman rings
2 Roman brooches
1 Roman Seal box
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 06:46:05 PM »

After hearing all these methods I think bleach is far the simplest and on the whole the safest too but make sure you degrease the coin first, nail varnish remover will do the trick, or you can end up with a perfect black and silver fingerprint to bring out the high points either aluminium foil or I use Duraglit silver wadding as it's far more controllable Wink
win

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 07:15:27 PM »

Hi Chris i believe bleach will make them go very black,then you will have to rub them in foil to get the highlights back again.

Never rub coins in foil, I can't believe people are still suggesting this, its leaves your coin covered in a mass of small scratches.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »

True Win the rubbing action should be your fingers over the foil and not the foil over the coin but after 6 or 7 hundred years knocking about in the soil the majority are pretty scratched anyway Wink
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I think that I will give them the bleach treatment and I'll let you know how I get on.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal