Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Is permission required to detect on Common Land?  (Read 7927 times)
ShadowPilot
Rally attendee

« on: October 21, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »

Hello All,

There are a few areas of common land nearby, do I require permission off the local council to detect on it or can I just get stuck in?

Thanks,
Steve.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »

Hello All,

There are a few areas of common land nearby, do I require permission off the local council to detect on it or can I just get stuck in?

Thanks,
Steve.
Hi Steve, if only mate the answer is no, all land is owned and thus requires permission from relevant owners Wink
Dusty

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:52:29 PM »

Council don't own land, it's held in trust for us lot to enjoy if memory serves me.

I'm not lucky enough to have permissions so I just detect in local parks. 9 times out of 10 I've been left alone. Do remember to fill your holes in  Smiley
ShadowPilot
Rally attendee

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »

Hmmm, maybe the old saying of... It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission... Applies here....

*ducks for cover....
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »

I disagree  Smiley I would say its better to show the hobby in its best light and abide by the law.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 02:02:13 PM »

im with taff on this one , the more people with that attitude will give more honest detectorists a bad name and i think that is something we could all do without

the mighty xp Deus
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »

We have one small area that is still common land and in the old days when annual fairs were run on these commons the common people would walk the bounds to keep them in the hands of the people..But greedy local government have laid claim to them..Only a legal challenge might get them back to where they really belong ..In the hands of us common folk..But I think it would be to expensive path to follow Angry
ShadowPilot
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »

Don't worry guys, I was only teasing.  I have my beach permission sorted already and know a number of farmers in the area so will be starting with them Smiley

My parents live next to some common land, I have photos of it from the late 1800s with a worn path along it which was still there when I was a kid, although its almost gone now.  It would be really interesting to detect along it.

How would I go about getting permission on such land?
Dusty

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 05:35:48 PM »

How would I go about getting permission on such land?

I think you'll get 'computer says no' if you're asking the council.

In all honesty I don't see detecting on common land giving us a bad name if you do the basic's, filling in holes, not being a pain to anyone else.

Personally I'm much more concerned about dog owners who don't clean their mutts **it up especially where kids play  Angry
Radnor Bandit (Ian)

Keep banging them rocks together

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 05:54:41 PM »

Have a word with the neighbouring farmers as they may know who owns it. The "common land" round my way is owned by a local gentry family and an approach to them may be worth it. Nothing ventured etc.
As Celtic Spikey said, all land is owned by someone.
Common land is basically private land that commoners (not oiks) have a right to specific uses of. Ie grazing rights or access.
As a tenant to my landlords 2nd farm I could theoretically graze a few sheep or a couple of cattle on my local common..
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 06:35:24 PM »

Shadow, I tried to gain permission on Llantrisant Common. I had to go through the Free Masons - I got a no.

John Winter

Scribbler

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »

Shadow, I tried to gain permission on Llantrisant Common. I had to go through the Free Masons - I got a no.

Rob, I understand that most of the Common is a site of Special Scientific interest and permission wouldn't be granted anyway. I don't think freemasons are landowners as such. Are you confusing them with the Llantrisant Freemen?:  http://www.llantrisant.net/freemen.htm

outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 09:25:56 PM »

While iin Bristol area last year, part of a farm I was detecting,some land was common, the owner said he was chairmen of the graziers who grazed the common with their livestock, He said at the time that he had control over that area and it was his decision what the land was used for  Huh

We all I would assume ask the land owners permission, so do you all ask the landowner if there is a tennant farmer who rents the ground gives you permission Huh?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:28:22 PM by outlaw » Logged
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »

Rob, I understand that most of the Common is a site of Special Scientific interest and permission wouldn't be granted anyway. I don't think freemasons are landowners as such. Are you confusing them with the Llantrisant Freemen?:  http://www.llantrisant.net/freemen.htm

Ahhh I did it again John, I keep calling them Freemasons - Last time I explained the story I called them the Stonemasons  Sad

galoshers

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 09:52:03 PM »

they like to keep it in the family ,why not join up ?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal