Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Roman few hours with Mike . . .  (Read 3152 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: October 20, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »

On Sunday I managed to pop out for a quick swing at a site Mike and I annually visit in Newport, that has been know to produce the odd Roman coin or twenty!

Anyway after slogging our way to our prefered location (which is no bigger than a tennis court), we discovered that three quarters of it was still unavailable.

We were about to start, when I asked Mike to remind me what the Romans we had found here in the past sounded like. His impression had a few of the neighbouring magpies cocking their heads. One step and half a swing later, much to my bemusement and Mikes appaling language, I had a third century Roman coin in my hand!

Four more steps and a curious signal had me the largest fibula I have found to date in my muddy paws! Mike was by now muttering and glaring across the stubble at me.

To improve the mood, he quickly joined me with a helmeted Roman of his own, and I added another that had met the plough before me.

Now I would love to report that the rest of the day we were showered in Roman coins and artefacts but it wasn't to be the case. It all went quiet then apart from a sixpence on the way back to the car.

Great to see the area still releasing the Romans though and I dare say we will revisit in a few weeks time.

Thanks Mike for a great few hours and your expertise at horse whispering!

Cheers
Neil

* 10451706_10152519389555777_7000858527146154147_n.jpg (42 KB, 480x640 - viewed 4338 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »

Well done Neil you have the same "mismatch" enigma as a lot of us in that the brooch is around 200 years earlier than the coin so a long established site Wink
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »

Rofl, great finds Neil, especially that broach

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 01:03:20 PM »

~Aye Chef - we were bemused as all the coinage is 3rd Century and as Mike rightly said the fibula was early. Oddly it has a deliberate hole in the catch plate end. Is that common as I have not seen that before?

Thought you might like that Dylan - want to swap for the last ring you found?

They are like buses - two from my last three outings with 70 miles in between sites!

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »

I'm afraid that ring has gone to the land of never to be seen again for a couple of years, Mark Ludvich says it's possibly late
Medieval,

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »

nice write up mate , I didn't even get my machine switched on and u had a roman  Shocked

that brooch is a monster , lets hope we can winckle a few more out when that crop is gone  Wink Wink

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »

nice one gentlemen ,some cracking finds and that brooch is huge

the mighty xp Deus
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 05:06:46 PM »

Nice finds - be good to see Mike's as well - glad you managed to get out Mike.

The lefthand roman is more like 4th century (c. 320) rather than third century though. - that is a bit of a monster of a fibula - surprised Mike didn't find it - he seems to find fibulas everywhere! Smiley
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 05:45:43 PM »

Nice finds - be good to see Mike's as well - glad you managed to get out Mike.

The lefthand roman is more like 4th century (c. 320) rather than third century though. - that is a bit of a monster of a fibula - surprised Mike didn't find it - he seems to find fibulas everywhere! Smiley

ha , it helps if you got your machine turned on mate , my roman was a bit of a dog im afraid but all the coins from here are c.320 - 350 so around that date for mine

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 06:47:04 PM »

On Sunday I managed to pop out for a quick swing at a site Mike and I annually visit in Newport, that has been know to produce the odd Roman coin or twenty!

Anyway after slogging our way to our prefered location (which is no bigger than a tennis court), we discovered that three quarters of it was still unavailable.

We were about to start, when I asked Mike to remind me what the Romans we had found here in the past sounded like. His impression had a few of the neighbouring magpies cocking their heads. One step and half a swing later, much to my bemusement and Mikes appaling language, I had a third century Roman coin in my hand!

Four more steps and a curious signal had me the largest fibula I have found to date in my muddy paws! Mike was by now muttering and glaring across the stubble at me.

To improve the mood, he quickly joined me with a helmeted Roman of his own, and I added another that had met the plough before me.

Now I would love to report that the rest of the day we were showered in Roman coins and artefacts but it wasn't to be the case. It all went quiet then apart from a sixpence on the way back to the car.

Great to see the area still releasing the Romans though and I dare say we will revisit in a few weeks time.

Thanks Mike for a great few hours and your expertise at horse whispering!

Cheers
Neil
Well done guys look far ward to the next instalment and more Roman. Wink
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 08:39:45 PM »

Nicely done guys Smiley  Cracking Fibula Smiley   I've got a field down Newport that we havent touched yet, I might take a trip down there I think Wink  Doubt it will produce anything like that though...

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
nonker10

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 10:17:48 PM »

a horse whisperer you say was he carrying the dried toad?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal