Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Raglan Ring  (Read 4098 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 25, 2008, 09:12:50 AM »

Article Date: 16 April 2007

The Raglan Ring is a massive and ornate gold signet ring which was found near Raglan, Monmouthshire, by Ron Treadgold using a metal detector, and was declared treasure. The ring has a circular bezel engraved with a design of a lion on a bed of flowers, within a single cable border with the legend: to yow feythfoull or feythfoull to yow and initials W A either side of the lion.

The finest example of late medieval gold jewellery to be found in Wales
The shoulders of the ring are decorated with flowers and leaves and is significant for the study of late medieval rings as very close comparisons exist in the engraving on the gold episcopal ring of John Stanbury, Bishop of Hereford (1452-1474), a mid 15th century cross from Winteringham, Lincolnshire and a gold ring from Godstow Priory, Oxfordshire. The Raglan ring is likely to date from the middle or third quarter of the 15th century, and is perhaps the finest example of late medieval gold jewellery ever to be found in Wales.

The ring's owner
The original owner of the seal has yet to be identified, though the finding of the ring near Raglan and initials W A make William Herbert, first Earl of Pembroke (executed after the battle of Banbury during the Wars of the Roses, in 1469) a possibility. He married Anne Devereux, and the initials might stand for William and Anne.

The size of the ring suggests that it was worn by a man, and the inscription may be regarded as a sign of faithfulness to his wife. Herbert was one of two men referred to as the 'chosen and faithful' to the new king, Edward IV, and on Edward's coronation he was ennobled. However, the identification of the ring as that of William Herbert is not proven and other names are possible.

At present, all that we can safely say is that the ring was a mark of rank, and probably belonged to an important officer or visitor to Raglan during the second half of the 15th century.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:16:38 AM »

Wow what a beautiful ring  Grin

Maybe one day Hey!

Regards Phil
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 04:24:08 PM »

Grin great ring that its at Cardiff museum Grin
1morecoin
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 11:20:55 PM »

We have a club site at Raglan Castle, it goes right up to the fish ponds which are very close to the original road into the Castle, club members avoid the site because of the musket balls, i have detected the site once and apart from 40 odd musket balls i had 3 hammered, a silver modern riding brooch and a purse loss of pre decimal silver, also a tudor spoon, so still worth a go.

Steve.
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 11:39:53 PM »

That is amazing, the stuff that dreams are made of!
Well done to you Ron.  Smiley
Are you a Forum member?

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub
Jeb

from the N Wales Mountains

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 03:49:54 PM »

I never cease to be amazed at the great finds that still pop up. Stunning!

Heaven won`t take me, and Hells afraid I`ll take over.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal