Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Garrett EuroAce - tempted to buy one, are they worth it?  (Read 10418 times)
ShadowPilot
Rally attendee

« on: October 10, 2014, 05:45:22 PM »

Hello all,

I'm tempted to buy a Garrett EuroAce, I've seen them on offer at £240 which suits my budget.

The only comparison I've seen is against a machine costing £1k more so a bit pointless.

Is the Nel Tornado a worthwhile additional purchase?

Thanks,
Steve.
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:10:31 PM »

Hello all,

I'm tempted to buy a Garrett EuroAce, I've seen them on offer at £240 which suits my budget.

The only comparison I've seen is against a machine costing £1k more so a bit pointless.

Is the Nel Tornado a worthwhile additional purchase?

Thanks,
Steve.
Hi Steve, can't give much advice on the Garrett as I've not had one, however they are popular on here and some good finds fall to them, I'm sure you will get advice from there owners mate Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 12:35:05 PM »

I have been using a Garrett EuroAce for some time now and have been rather pleased with it's performance. I also purchased a Garrett 4.5 sniper coil and a Nel Tornado for use under varying conditions. The Sniper coil has proved it's worth on scrappy ground and in tight areas where even the stock coil will not fit. As for the Nel Tornado; it has speeded up detecting of large grass land areas and I feel that it helps to compensate for loss of depth when detecting over stubble.

As with many metal detectors, the EuroAce can be fooled by rusty iron and some times gives a promising signal for rusty scrap! My one major disappointment with the EuroAce is it's poor performance on wet beach sand. Upon moving onto wet sand, one is required to reduce the sensitivity and consequently suffer a loss of depth; but having said that, I have still made finds on wet sand.

Here are just a couple of my EuroAce finds...

* Silver Lady.jpg (131.93 KB, 422x596 - viewed 644 times.)

* 2nd hammered.jpg (169.81 KB, 391x561 - viewed 629 times.)

* Buckles.jpg (107.11 KB, 422x596 - viewed 612 times.)

* Building project.jpg (177 KB, 356x509 - viewed 1612 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »

Not to mention!!!!!!!!

* Bling.jpg (117.18 KB, 399x576 - viewed 1621 times.)

* Finger ring.jpg (107.51 KB, 596x422 - viewed 1583 times.)

* First gold.jpg (142.87 KB, 392x567 - viewed 1607 times.)

* Pussy cat.jpg (223.16 KB, 399x565 - viewed 1607 times.)

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
alun

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 01:05:37 PM »

Euro ace is a fine unit SP.Price is a big issue on all units as the electronics steps it up a notch. My advice would be to start with the Euro, as it's a reliable set up, just as the finds show from Resurgram, he knows the set up and I am certain he knows a few tricks to help you along.
I use a Whites DFX, which suits me, but there's a 3030 which whispers to me at night  Wink
We all get tempted.
Good luck buddy

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
ShadowPilot
Rally attendee

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »

That is one big hoard you have there!  Thanks for the advice, I'm extremely tempted and there is one up for grabs local to me.  I've watched quite a few videos of the Garrett in use and am quite taken by it.

I've also seen an AT4 Beach hunter second hand for half the money, any thoughts on which is the best?

I'm looking to do a mix of relic hunting on farmland and some beach combing.

Thanks.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 05:25:34 PM »

Sadly, I am unable pass any comments concerning the "Beach Hunter" but as said above..............the EuroAce has a dislike for wet beach sand. Perhaps you should investigate the Beach Hunter a little further before taking the plunge.  Wink

Chris  Smiley

Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 01:38:51 PM »

Garret ace 250 find by Detecting Scotland Member David booth.  Smiley

* david booth.jpg (98.54 KB, 964x616 - viewed 658 times.)

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »

There ya go; what more needs to be said!  Grin

Briser
Rally attendee

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 09:04:48 PM »

I have the Euro Ace and as a first Detector am happy with it.
First time out on a Scotland rally I took Garret's advice and left it on Zero which found me a bucket full of rusty iron and a few bits of lead and only 3 or 4 interesting artifacts and one tiny coin (a Scottish Turner).
Second time out I changed to Custom and blanked off the first 2 ferrous and dropped the sensitivity down by 3 and most finds were small artifacts down to about 8" deep, so much better.
One niggle, when sweeping through stubble the shaft feels like there is a slight play around the snap-in buttons that hold the central shaft.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 03:05:53 AM »

If you do buy a EuroAce; that slight wobble in the shaft can be overcome with a little insulation tape on the inner section of the shaft. I found that the battery box cover can be a little temperamental to replace but whatever you do, don't force it; I know a chap who did and he finished up having to get a new battery box cover.

As with all detectors, a little bit of sh1t in the control box connector, or verdigris, can play havoc with the machines behavior. Always take care whilst changing coils in the field, or on the beach. Kevin at Staffs Detectors often has secondhand EuroAces for sale and I do believe that he gives warranties on all the detectors that he sells. I'm not sure on his prices but it would be well worth you having a look at his web site.

On the beach, the EuroAce is the bees-knees for dry sand but it tends to false quite a lot on wet saline sand but that can generally be overcome by backing off the sensitivity; which of course will give you some loss of depth.

As with all detectors; keep the the coil low and slow and you will find loads of stuff. Would I recommend the EuroAce? Of course I would, just take a look at some of my finds posted above.

Whatever your decision,  stay safe, stay well, and happy hunting.

Chris Smiley         

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal