Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice for newcomers to our hobby.  (Read 4459 times)
alun

« on: October 08, 2014, 12:36:59 PM »

Hi all, everyone of us here has been a "newbie" before we gained experience as far as searching is concerned. I have been approached by many newcomers as to where they can go and to what detectors is best?
I won't go into the boring long termed theme of "I have been doing this for bla bla" but I have been amazed in how many just blunder onto private property and get a real earful, through no fault of their own. Gaining permission is not as hard as it's made out, I opt for face to face meeting and explain about historical aspects, and offer finds to the landowner. Not everyone is forthcoming but around 80 percent will.
I am no beach detector, pasture or ploughed is my preference, and there are many more experienced guys in here, as I find beach work has many factors which kill off newcomers. Detectors are a real hard choice, especially the price, Garrets are affordable and good at their job. Also mine lab have great starter units, along with Whites and the rest.
Whatever your choice the way forward is coil to the ground, and a slow left right sweep. This may sound so bloody boring, but I have seen ppl swinging like Benny Hill on speed and would give a race horse a good bet. There are finds nearly everywhere, and local to where you are is the best place to start. Don't expect to dig gold on your first visit!!!! Although I have know others who have. Most detectors have pre set programmes set up for you, from beach pasture coins etc, chose these to start as knowing your unit is the key.
I gained a new permission yesterday by utter chance, which produced 21 coins mostly modern to pre decimal. Many detectorists would be gutted at this, but finds are finds so try to imagine how and why they would have been lost. I did say no bla bla,,,, sorry..
There is no easy quick fix unfortunately, just common sense and gaining as much knowledge you can.
The guys  ;)and gals In here are open to give advice, many of them more experienced than I am, so just ask. Over the last four years I have known 7 ppl in my area of Neath who have bought good units and sold them after a few months, all saying that our area is useless for detecting on. Truth is, the finds are there it's up to the individual to winkle them out. Stick at it and ASK for help.
My detecting has spanned over 15 years on and off, and still I learn new things.
Happy hunting guys and gals.
 Grin

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 04:41:07 PM »

Great post Alun, when are we going to see you on a rally ?

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »

Hi all, everyone of us here has been a "newbie" before we gained experience as far as searching is concerned. I have been approached by many newcomers as to where they can go and to what detectors is best?
I won't go into the boring long termed theme of "I have been doing this for bla bla" but I have been amazed in how many just blunder onto private property and get a real earful, through no fault of their own. Gaining permission is not as hard as it's made out, I opt for face to face meeting and explain about historical aspects, and offer finds to the landowner. Not everyone is forthcoming but around 80 percent will.
I am no beach detector, pasture or ploughed is my preference, and there are many more experienced guys in here, as I find beach work has many factors which kill off newcomers. Detectors are a real hard choice, especially the price, Garrets are affordable and good at their job. Also mine lab have great starter units, along with Whites and the rest.
Whatever your choice the way forward is coil to the ground, and a slow left right sweep. This may sound so bloody boring, but I have seen ppl swinging like Benny Hill on speed and would give a race horse a good bet. There are finds nearly everywhere, and local to where you are is the best place to start. Don't expect to dig gold on your first visit!!!! Although I have know others who have. Most detectors have pre set programmes set up for you, from beach pasture coins etc, chose these to start as knowing your unit is the key.
I gained a new permission yesterday by utter chance, which produced 21 coins mostly modern to pre decimal. Many detectorists would be gutted at this, but finds are finds so try to imagine how and why they would have been lost. I did say no bla bla,,,, sorry..
There is no easy quick fix unfortunately, just common sense and gaining as much knowledge you can.
The guys  ;)and gals In here are open to give advice, many of them more experienced than I am, so just ask. Over the last four years I have known 7 ppl in my area of Neath who have bought good units and sold them after a few months, all saying that our area is useless for detecting on. Truth is, the finds are there it's up to the individual to winkle them out. Stick at it and ASK for help.
My detecting has spanned over 15 years on and off, and still I learn new things.
Happy hunting guys and gals.
 Grin
Enjoyed your post Alun, nicely put mate Wink
nonker10

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 10:26:02 PM »

hi alun
nonker10

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 10:44:18 PM »

hi alun have been detecting for over 30 years now and have found many special things.it doesnt matter whether your'e old or new to the hobby if you walk over it you will find it.like alun says make freinds of your farmers and be straight with them it goes a long way,because they all know each other.i have tried new farms mentioned my name and they already knew who i was and let me on they're land.
alun

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 02:33:28 PM »

Hi Dryland. You will see me soon buddy on a rally, now my hand is back together.
True there Nonker, it's hard for newcomers to start, especially when they see some of the amazing finds on here.
Location is a big factor to higher end finds like hammereds solidus etc; but even though I am in Neath most of the history has been built on. But saying that I have managed 2 battered hammered and the odd grot along with bags full of rubbish.
Next rally Dryland, saw you last year in Hereford with Mike on the RNLI one I think lol Grin

Medieval 15
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
carling2

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 02:40:05 PM »

advice for newcomers to the hobby eh?   DONT DO IT    it drives ya nuts and turns ya into  a social outcast Grin
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 02:12:32 PM »

We are still learning after decades of doing this hobby and my first two pieces of advice is newbies...No site is finished,just might take longer to find the artefacts and slow down, its not a race to get to other side of that 100 acres holding  Wink
marknewbury1

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 06:31:54 PM »

We are still learning after decades of doing this hobby and my first two pieces of advice is newbies...No site is finished,just might take longer to find the artefacts and slow down, its not a race to get to other side of that 100 acres holding  Wink
I've been detecting 4  about 4 years now and I'm learning something new everyday but I can honestly say if u go out and enjoy yourself u will find stuff
alun

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 08:45:21 PM »

Nice one Mark, exactly the point. Finding items comes in time,

Medieval 15
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
Al
Rally attendee

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »

Another tip for anyone new to the hobby, when I first started detecting I thought you could detect on the beaches without permission. (Wrong) you need a Permit for Metal Detecting on Crown Estate Foreshore which has to be renewed every year.
Good hunting
Al

Garrott Ace 250

Finds to Date:
Coins £5.24
Ring Modern =1 (Nice)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal