Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unexpected signal  (Read 2920 times)
Old Pete
Rally attendee

« on: October 01, 2014, 09:48:24 PM »

I was down at the beach over the weekend with my sovereign xs set with discrimination on and I got a signal very similar to a buried drinks can but not as strong and with no nulling of the threshold. On digging down about 4" I found a flattish black "bar" of something about 6" long by 3" wide. After removing it I rechecked the hole and spoil and the signal was gone so it must of been coming from the item. I couldn't see any metal showing through so after reading posts on here I decided to crack it open. What I found was a piece of mesh 5" long by 2" wide as in the photo but it is clearly ferrous and sticks to a magnet. As I'm new to detecting can anyone tell me why I got the signal I heard and not a nulling?

* mesh.jpg (46.92 KB, 640x480 - viewed 834 times.)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:06:47 PM »

Don't think it's big enough or was close enough to the surface to cause nulling.  Wait till you find half a car engine. Roll Eyes  Plus it's got holes in it. They might have made the difference from a big solid item.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
david995

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:13:04 PM »

with mine labs big bits of iron can give you a  "good " signal even when you are discriminating iron , in other words small iron will null and  big lumps will still give a signal

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:22:09 PM »

Not if they're big enough and close enough to the surface. If they're very deep and very corroded they might tell you they're made of something else other than iron. Just a matter of getting used to the signals.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Old Pete
Rally attendee

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:36:09 PM »

Thanks Val and thanks David, I just thought that with discrim on then iron shouldn't give me a "good" signal, I guess I've got a LOT more to learn than I first thought   Embarrassed  Grin
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 11:06:31 PM »

the sov will null over iron on the surface or overload on a big lump like a plough share ,deeper iron can give a signal round items like nuts or washers can be a pain , listen closely to the tone , if you get a one way tone its almost always iron , a 2 way tone is usually good but on iffy targets the tone will be slightly different as you sweep over it , sweep slowly over the target and listen if it a consistant bing bing dig it , if its bing bong ( sounds silly but that's all I can think of lol ) its usually iron  .
if in ANY doubt dig the signal and keep a mental note of the tones , soon you will get used to it and dig less iron .

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Old Pete
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »

Thanks Mike for your really helpful information. I understand now that I need to listen a lot closer to the difference in tones to learn the machine - I think that's a good excuse to go out and get more practice  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal