Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Archaeological dig  (Read 2779 times)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« on: September 15, 2014, 10:20:03 PM »

I thought id do a quick thread to show a few photos I took today in Somerset, im lucky enough to be working on a dig 2 miles away from a well established a roman town, the area we are excavating is the farm land between two small settlements, it would of been used for cattle and growing crops, the field systems go back to Neolithic times then bronze age, iron age, roman, and medieval lol, its amazing to look at, there's field boundaries everywhere cut in to the ground, the area dug must be the size of 3 football pitches, I was told the land is so flat and perfect for farming it probably goes on for miles Shocked before I came to the site they removed a roman burial, its the photo with the dark soil (back fill) the shape was very odd, like a wine glass about 2m to about 500mm il ask why tomorrow.
The widest ditch shown in photo is the medieval one its about 3m wide I walked the length of it and managed a eyes only, a iron key I handed it in and told them I found it in the medieval ditch, they were very great full but told me its not a key Huh I asked them what it was and one said I don't know but its not a key Cheesy please correct me if im wrong Cheesy
The next area should be a little more exciting, as its on the settlement itself Wink 

* 016.JPG (108.98 KB, 640x480 - viewed 289 times.)

* 018.JPG (94.17 KB, 640x480 - viewed 398 times.)

* 019.JPG (114.6 KB, 640x480 - viewed 411 times.)

* 020.JPG (71.95 KB, 640x480 - viewed 524 times.)

* 021.JPG (149.67 KB, 640x480 - viewed 526 times.)
jtalbot0001

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:45:06 PM »

That was an interesting read Dale. Look forward to reading more. I can't believe they say that is not a key becasue its got key written all over it in my opinion. Doesn't even need cleaning to reveal the teeth its that easy to see, well to me anyway.

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
roaljodaka
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:41:28 AM »

Interesting read Dale and also it's not a key WTF, sometimes you just wonder what they are thinking  Undecided
anthonyjay

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:52:18 AM »

Nice write-up and I agree with the others that is a key without doubt. I sometimes think these archaeologist live in a different world to the rest of us. ATB AJ
stever

"Wise is he who collects the wisdom of others."

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:00:41 AM »

interesting read mate

Finds Since Feb 2012
Gold Rinds x2
Gold  35g
Hammered-7
Silver coinage-53
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 10:12:02 AM »

I just think that some of them hate the thought that anyone else could possibly know anything about archaeology who is not an archaeologist.

XP Deus user
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »

Your 2nd pic tells more than one story Dale.  If you look to the right, where the cars are, you can clearly see how much top soil has been removed.
It shouts out the fact that most of us wouldn't or couldn't possibly be disturbing or removed the Archaeological record. What it also shows makes you wonder how many 'finds' have been removed and dumped.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 08:54:53 PM »

Your 2nd pic tells more than one story Dale.  If you look to the right, where the cars are, you can clearly see how much top soil has been removed.
It shouts out the fact that most of us wouldn't or couldn't possibly be disturbing or removed the Archaeological record. What it also shows makes you wonder how many 'finds' have been removed and dumped.

Val

Cheers all, I stick with the key idea then Smiley

Well spotted Val, in places the dig was 800mm and there was still evidence of the field boundaries, some of them was dug right next to each other, there was 3 with in 2 meters of each other, so it tells you haw long the area was used.
The whole area shown was destroyed by modern plough, so the whole area was reduced to the clay all the plough soil was carted away by lorry, no items was recovered Embarrassed
all the ditches you see in the photos was cut in to the clay that's why there still visible, only 1 bit of roman pot was found and one coin in a shallow ditch, the rest went to land fill, all the archaeologists was interested in, was recording the field layouts
before it was lost, they did a pretty good job at that but its a shame what artefacts was lost.
I was chatting to Doug awhile back, he told me when the council cleaned the river/ditches out in the area they spread 1000s of roman coins over the farmers fields  Grin   
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 09:14:14 PM »

Did you find out where it was dumped.?
   I found a nice babies silver name thingy in some stuff a local Farmer had dumped to build up an area.  Don't know where it came from but it looked like someone had cleared a tip. It was full of all sorts of rubbish.
I've got a very low area at the bottom of my field (used to be a lake) and often thought it would be a good idea to allow soil only land fill.  Trouble is, I believe you need a permit.  Just think, I could go and detect every fresh load that came in and earn a bob or two in the process. Grin

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal