Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unwelcome Visitors  (Read 3522 times)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« on: September 11, 2014, 09:15:11 AM »

I made the effort to get down to the beach on Tuesday. As usual I was approached by a few people interested in whether I had found anything nice.  Among these was one from the Midlands, who unexpectedly gave me a great big hug when he discovered I came from 'just down the main road'  and a couple from up north. Holidayers, of course.
During both of these encounters I became more and more angry when they started telling me where they had been with their detectors.  Places, I recognised from directions and descriptions, places I had asked for permission and been refused.
Who are these people who think they can come down here and just go where they like without any thought that they need to ask.  After trying to do things 'the right way' I feel really angry.  I doubt they even had Beach Permits.
All I can say is, it's no wonder we all get a bad name.  The only consolation, if they could be believed, is they didn't find anything worth keeping.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 09:29:14 AM »

totally agree val , ' a few bad apples ' as they say .

with all the tv shows , treasure finds etc glamorising metal detecting some people get interested , buy a detector off ebay and wander up the nearest footpath blissfully unaware they need permission from the landowner  , it only after they are approached or get more info on the hobby they start to do things properly , however there is always the guy who doesn't give a s### and will put the landowners off genuine detectorists forever  Angry Angry Angry

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
welsh john

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »

Some bad apples reside in our mists when we hold rallies everyone is told to fill in the holes, but I seem to spend more time filling in other peoples holes then I do detecting and it annoys the hell out of me,and it's not just DW rallies there are bad apples on all rallies
and until we start to identify the culprits it will go on happening.
I know it's not quite the same as what you are saying Val but leaving holes all over someone else's land also gives a bad impression of us all.  Angry Angry Sad

Minelab Explorer SE.
Sef 8x6 coil,Platapus coil,10"stock coil.
Garrett pro pointer.
Finds,
Queen Ann trade weight.
Bronze Axe Head.
Roman partifact.
1350 Bronze Token.
William lll Sixpence.
George lll Shilling.
Victoria Shilling.
Silver......80g.
Gold.........0g.
Scrap
sinky

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 09:02:29 PM »

I agree with  val  and the filling in of holes on digs .the times  I have done it how long does it take to fill in your holes seconds so  come on people fill your holes cause when we are all sat In the house wondering why we haven't got any rallies to go to don't blame Geoff and neil when they say we haven't got any rallies for a while cause the farmers wont have us back on their land .the times Geoff and neil have asked us to fill in your holes do it please cause I don't want to be sat in the house on a lovely day watching the rubbish on the telly I would rather be out on a field detecting that's why I bought a metal detector for .ive had my moan now so please support Geoff neil and rob cause they do a good job fo us  thanks sinky  Cool Wink Smiley Angry take care out there people .
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:07:49 AM »

dont worry val not worth gettin stressed about love

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
nonker10

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 07:50:04 PM »

good im glad they found bugger all.maybe these places will change hands and you'll be able to detect on them.imagine how annoyed you will get when these people have been on them then.gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Smiley
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 08:06:42 PM »

Naaa   No chance nonker.  Been in the family since George 3rd. Latest Heir gave up his title when he inherited. The other land is Council owned.

Val

nonker10

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 09:38:29 PM »

cest la vie then val.
chantalpoole

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »

been there val , was in a vally one time met a dog walker who told me all about his past detecting experiences including detecting around manorbier castle
i cant imagine he was allowed to do that .
you cant fix the problem val but you can refuse to be part of the problem.

started detecting nov 2013
3 x hammy
6 x rings (1 gold 3 silver)
2 x romans
10 x full silver coins
92g of silver
1 x trade weight
a million odds n sods
and a bucket of scrap

it was this or prozac
alun

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 05:01:02 PM »

Arrogance gets responsible detectors a bad name. Val I think we have all been there, three weeks ago in Bridgewater two locals well kitted out with E trac and CTX came over to a field where I had gained permission, and blatantly bragged about going on places without permission, even to night hawking.
We just  got to do it the right way, nothing else we can do but  let the land owners know if possible.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 06:31:08 PM »

Am I to believe that detecting rallies are not supervised, and people who don't back fill holes in a decent manner are not asked to leave the property?  Roll Eyes

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 07:04:17 PM »

Not only that Chris but I re-dug 3 holes with re-buried drinks cans in them. Now that isn't playing to the rules, is it.

I hope they know who I'm talking about and feel a least a bit guilty.

Val

welsh john

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 08:53:37 PM »

Not only that Chris but I re-dug 3 holes with re-buried drinks cans in them. Now that isn't playing to the rules, is it.

I hope they know who I'm talking about and feel a least a bit guilty.

Val
I went on a rally the other day, and my mate saw someone rebury a lump of iron and when my mate asked why he had done that he was told well I'm not coming here again,and this person on another beach rally left holes all over the beach at Barry I went behind him and filled in most of them,he's been detecting for years so he should know better,some people don't learn.He was using a ctx3030 when he dug up the lump of iron so perhaps he should leave it there if he can dig up iron with a ctx what chance have we got of him filling in his holes?

Minelab Explorer SE.
Sef 8x6 coil,Platapus coil,10"stock coil.
Garrett pro pointer.
Finds,
Queen Ann trade weight.
Bronze Axe Head.
Roman partifact.
1350 Bronze Token.
William lll Sixpence.
George lll Shilling.
Victoria Shilling.
Silver......80g.
Gold.........0g.
Scrap
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 09:20:03 PM »

I s'pose in part I can understand the logic of not filling holes on the beach when you're detecting the water line. Half an hour and they will be gone anyway.   But it annoys me to see pot holes dotted here there and everywhere.  I always feel guilty and think to myself, 'I hope they don't think I did this.'  Nowhere as big as the holes Dads dig for the kids though.
At least I had some satisfaction. Within inches of one hole I had a signal and dug out a nice condition 1928 shilling.

Val

Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 08:13:22 AM »

Nice going Val. Well rewarded with a shilling!  Wink

I am still amazed that rallies are not overlooked and supervised so that bad practises do not take place. I have even heard of some peoples finds being swapped and removed from finds displays on the day!  Shocked

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal