Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: South African Wreck Finds...  (Read 3253 times)
jtalbot0001

« on: August 28, 2014, 11:16:59 PM »

As I don't do much detecting, and therefore cannot post may finds on here, I thought I would show everyone some wreck finds I found (eyes only) while living in South Africa. These finds I made many years ago when I was much younger and we went for a summers holiday down the south eastern coast to a place called Morgans Bay. This is not too far from a major river that flows to the sea called the Kei River, and on either side used to be the former Republic of Transkei and Ciskei which now no longer exist. The whole of the South African coastline is littered with ship wrecks but more so along the Cape of Good Hope and the Eastern Coast where the weather can be unforgiving and the coastline very rocky. Well this wreck we did not know about till we were on holiday and we managed to read about a beach in a brochure, which was about half an hours walk from where were staying, and this was referred to as "Bead Beach". This was given its name due to the fact that Carnelian Beads (Carnelian is very similar to agate but is orange in colour) tend to wash up from time to time along the beach which come from a Portuguese East Indiamen wreck called The Santo Espirito in 1608. The beads originate from India. The only reference to the Santo Espirito in Portuguese literature is that it ran aground on "the coast of Natal, and the survivors escaped by boat to Mozambique". Apart from beads, Chinese Ming Porcelain can also be found washed up at the site and the porcelain is thought to have been made towards the end of the 16th Century. There are several wrecks in that area, a lot of them Portuguese East Indiamen, there is one called the São João which also carried, like so many others, cargo from China and India destined for Portugal and Europe. The beads and shards I found could have come from either wreck or even from others. I can't tell you how much fun I had looking for it, and we only had a day to do that in so I was very fortunate to find what I did in the time I had. That day too was one not to forget as we had to cross a lagoon (it had broken its banks going which was going out to sea) in order to get to Bead Beach, and that was very fast flowing and difficult to cross. Apart from that the depth of it, it meant that there was the posibilty of small sharks in that area as they find that a good place to feed but it was well worth the cross. As you can see I came away with four beads and quite a few pieces of Ming shards and also some Cowries too, these are shells that were also carried on these ships. "The cowrie shell is one of the most remarkable primitive currencies ever used before the advent of gold and silver coinage. This shell extended its range further than any form of money before or since, spreading from China and India to the Pacific Islands, travelling across and encircling Africa and then penetrating the New World. In Africa, the cowrie shell is not only a symbolic allusion to wealth and prosperity. For thousands of years it was used as the main medium of exchange. Although not used anymore as money, the shells are still believed to have occult or supernatural powers, so they are used in divination, traditional medicine, fertility, ancestor worship and other rituals. Cowries formed the common currency throughout this vast expanse of the trading world and Africa." If I could go back and metal detect that beach I definitley would since you can also come across other items on the beach such as this gold bell which was found by a local resident. Enjoy the pictures.

* South African Wreck Finds.jpg (277.4 KB, 1389x1158 - viewed 1815 times.)

* Bell.jpg (276.43 KB, 803x836 - viewed 1702 times.)

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 06:28:43 AM »

Great story john - I enjoyed reading that over breakfast.

Wouldn't life be simpler if we were reverted back to the cowrie as a currency?

I wonder how many a new detector would cost? Smiley

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
grego
NWDD Member

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 06:57:21 AM »

Very interesting read.

Grego
wet feet again

xp Deus

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 07:23:46 AM »

A great read, as i collect pottery from shipwrecks i have some from
various chinese wrecks with a pic of that bird around that period.
would love to dive one of the wrecks

Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 07:27:34 AM »

I remember using small cowrie shells as counters in the infant class in primary school many years ago, how times have changed. Nice read thank you.
bristolminelab
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:14:12 AM »

great read jon thanks  Smiley
dragonsbreath(Paul)
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 09:16:49 AM »

Enjoyed the read John....I do like to see whats being found around the world .....PaulB. Cool

Greetings from the Dragon.
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »

Very interesting read, I'll offer to detect that beach with you if you decide to return lol Grin
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 06:21:20 PM »

As I don't do much detecting, and therefore cannot post may finds on here, I thought I would show everyone some wreck finds I found (eyes only) while living in South Africa. These finds I made many years ago when I was much younger and we went for a summers holiday down the south eastern coast to a place called Morgans Bay. This is not too far from a major river that flows to the sea called the Kei River, and on either side used to be the former Republic of Transkei and Ciskei which now no longer exist. The whole of the South African coastline is littered with ship wrecks but more so along the Cape of Good Hope and the Eastern Coast where the weather can be unforgiving and the coastline very rocky. Well this wreck we did not know about till we were on holiday and we managed to read about a beach in a brochure, which was about half an hours walk from where were staying, and this was referred to as "Bead Beach". This was given its name due to the fact that Carnelian Beads (Carnelian is very similar to agate but is orange in colour) tend to wash up from time to time along the beach which come from a Portuguese East Indiamen wreck called The Santo Espirito in 1608. The beads originate from India. The only reference to the Santo Espirito in Portuguese literature is that it ran aground on "the coast of Natal, and the survivors escaped by boat to Mozambique". Apart from beads, Chinese Ming Porcelain can also be found washed up at the site and the porcelain is thought to have been made towards the end of the 16th Century. There are several wrecks in that area, a lot of them Portuguese East Indiamen, there is one called the São João which also carried, like so many others, cargo from China and India destined for Portugal and Europe. The beads and shards I found could have come from either wreck or even from others. I can't tell you how much fun I had looking for it, and we only had a day to do that in so I was very fortunate to find what I did in the time I had. That day too was one not to forget as we had to cross a lagoon (it had broken its banks going which was going out to sea) in order to get to Bead Beach, and that was very fast flowing and difficult to cross. Apart from that the depth of it, it meant that there was the posibilty of small sharks in that area as they find that a good place to feed but it was well worth the cross. As you can see I came away with four beads and quite a few pieces of Ming shards and also some Cowries too, these are shells that were also carried on these ships. "The cowrie shell is one of the most remarkable primitive currencies ever used before the advent of gold and silver coinage. This shell extended its range further than any form of money before or since, spreading from China and India to the Pacific Islands, travelling across and encircling Africa and then penetrating the New World. In Africa, the cowrie shell is not only a symbolic allusion to wealth and prosperity. For thousands of years it was used as the main medium of exchange. Although not used anymore as money, the shells are still believed to have occult or supernatural powers, so they are used in divination, traditional medicine, fertility, ancestor worship and other rituals. Cowries formed the common currency throughout this vast expanse of the trading world and Africa." If I could go back and metal detect that beach I definitley would since you can also come across other items on the beach such as this gold bell which was found by a local resident. Enjoy the pictures.
Nice story John, thanks for sharing with D/W  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal