Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dylan Thomas gate found by Michael Sheen on sale at auction  (Read 3130 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: August 27, 2014, 07:45:47 AM »

Actor Michael Sheen's little-known past as a metal salvager has come to light through one of the more unusual items in an auction devoted to Dylan Thomas.

As a teenager the stage and screen star found the gate of the poet's boathouse home stuck in mud while walking with friends at Laugharne, Carmarthenshire.

Artist Charley Uzzell-Edwards - who helped recover the rusty relic in 1984 - said they got some puzzled looks.

The gate is expected to fetch up to £800 at auction next month in Cardiff.

Events have been taking place throughout 2014 to mark the centenary of the birth of Thomas, who died in New York in 1953 at the age of 39.

Sheen himself appeared in a new BBC Wales TV adaptation of the Swansea-born poet's "play for voices" Under Milk Wood in May.

'Mud larking'

Dylan Thomas spent his final years in Laugharne, a fixture on the tourist trail for fans from all over the world.

The gate has been a feature in the garden of the Uzzell-Edwards family home
Mr Uzzell-Edwards told BBC Wales how he and his artist father John found the gate while visiting Laugharne with Sheen.

"We were walking down the hill on a jolly boys' day out to check out the boathouse when we saw this metal sticking out of the mud," he said.

"Me and Michael were wearing cords and chunky sweaters in the Brideshead Revisited style of the time - not really dressed for mud larking - but we managed to get it out.

"My dad had a photo of Dylan Thomas standing in front of the gate of the boathouse so we knew it was the actual one.

"Some American tourists passed us on our way back up the hill with the gate - they must have thought we were a funny looking bunch."

Mr Uzzell-Edwards, whose father died earlier this year, said the gate had been on show in the garden of the family's Carmarthenshire home and he wanted to sell it to raise some money for his mother.

"It would be nice if it went to a collector who would appreciate its history - in my dreams an American will see it and think it's just the thing he needs," he said.

A bust of Dylan Thomas said to be the only one sculpted while he was alive is one of the other highlights of the centenary auction, which includes a range of books, letters, manuscripts and mementoes.

Made by sculptor and friend Hugh Oloff de Wet, the cold-cast resin bust is predicted to fetch up to £5,000.

It is accompanied by the sculptor's original drawing for the piece and one of 10 bronze miniatures he cast.

The bust of Dylan Thomas has been featured on the BBC's Antiques Roadshow
The 60 lots of Thomas-related memorabilia also include a medical report on the actor Richard Burton clearing him as fit to take part in filming for the big screen adaptation of Under Milk Wood in 1971.

The last lifetime portrait of the Swansea-born poet - an oil painting by Gordon Stuart - is also on offer.

The auction takes place at the Rogers Jones salerooms in Cardiff on Saturday 6 September.

* _77176110_dylan_gatefoundrotated.jpg (40.83 KB, 624x351 - viewed 839 times.)

* _77176564_dylan_gate.jpg (41.48 KB, 304x490 - viewed 848 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:45:19 AM »

I wouldn't mind betting that if it is spotted by an American it'll fetch a lot more than is expected price.  I'm always amazed to see how much they pay for some memorabilia.

Interesting article Neil.   By the way I've got an old gate like that. Do you think any one would be interested  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal