Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Night hawkers  (Read 3532 times)
alun

« on: August 21, 2014, 08:48:18 PM »

Just come back from Fidington near Bridgwater, and managed to gain permission on four large fields close to where we were staying. The going was tough but enjoyable, and I was then approached by two guys who were also detecting.
We introduced ourselves and as usual the stories began. That's when they openly admitted they detect on any ground they come across, and if approached just play dumb. I asked if they had permission on the fields we were on where they blatantly said no.
Now I ain't no angel, but the land owner who I asked was polite and willing for me to use his land. So why not ask. There was nothing I could do at the time, so I played along and asked more of where they have been. No wonder we get S::t from archeologist and land owners if people like these just take the p--s.
I left after a short while and let the land owner know what was going on.
I wish I could post images of a bag full of finds, but apart from one battered hammy, one cartwheel, and a few other Georgian furniture fittings that was my haul.
Great place approachable land owners but shame about the tossers.
So John from Bristol, and Richard from Bridgewater, thanks for making it harder to gain respect from those we need.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 08:00:20 PM »

Just come back from Fidington near Bridgwater, and managed to gain permission on four large fields close to where we were staying. The going was tough but enjoyable, and I was then approached by two guys who were also detecting.
We introduced ourselves and as usual the stories began. That's when they openly admitted they detect on any ground they come across, and if approached just play dumb. I asked if they had permission on the fields we were on where they blatantly said no.
Now I ain't no angel, but the land owner who I asked was polite and willing for me to use his land. So why not ask. There was nothing I could do at the time, so I played along and asked more of where they have been. No wonder we get S::t from archeologist and land owners if people like these just take the p--s.
I left after a short while and let the land owner know what was going on.
I wish I could post images of a bag full of finds, but apart from one battered hammy, one cartwheel, and a few other Georgian furniture fittings that was my haul.
Great place approachable land owners but shame about the tossers.
So John from Bristol, and Richard from Bridgewater, thanks for making it harder to gain respect from those we need.
Back in the 90 s there was quite a few night hawkers from Bristol area Alun, they use to hit Wiltshire sites regularly and some of mine, clearly from your experience there are still some around , it makes gaining permissions so difficult for those of us who have the balls and honesty to approach these landowners  Wink
Svaipa

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »

When out on some of my permissions hunts, I've had so many farmers telling me how they are so fed up with finding their fields full of big holes done by people metal detecting their fields without permission. I was actually quite shocked in the beginning, to learn just how much of this is going on. And I can't blame the farmers for being grumpy and totally against the thought of any more detecting going on in their fields.
I think that when we see people out here that we are not sure should be there, we should take pictures if possible. then inform the farmer, the police and post the pictures up online (forums, FB etc). There's bound to be someone out there who will know who these guys are.
JBM

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:16:14 AM »

Its got a lot worse in recent years with the national media and especially the internet to blame.

Folks think its thousands of ££££££`s to be made for the outlay of a cheap detector.which are readily available everywhere.

I will not relate personal experiences here, but many of us have suffered from these get rich quick merchants.

Perhaps Licensing should come back before its to late for all the responsible younger detectorists to have the pleasure of a lifetimes detecting that some of us have had. Angry  Jerry.
db4

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 01:34:19 PM »

If they are willing to break the law and nighthawk do you thing they are going to be good boys and pay for a licence, I think not. The likes of you and me will end up putting money into the government coffers, it's a big no to licencing for me

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »

I'm with Jerry on the license front and a damn site more than the old 15 bob one too Grin Granted as db says if they're prepared to break the law then a license isn't going to dissuade them but unfortunately the majority of nighthawks are just your run of the mill detectorist by day, forum members, UKDFD/FID members and club members and it would allow easier spot checks by the powers that be.
If it were left to me owning a detector would be dependant on completing an short course and test but we can't put the genie back in the bottle Undecided
swansea clarky
Rally attendee

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 02:31:33 PM »

should've taken a photo of them and reported them to the farmer and police.it'll eventually dissuade them from nighthawking once a few hefty fines are received.but at the end of the day are the police that bothered...who knows
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 02:32:23 PM »

I don't think that a licence would be effective, as there are so many detectors about now . You could only charge new buyers of detectors a levy. The problem lies with " The get rich quick attitude" which is fostered by the national press. Most old hands know it's just a hobby and will never make money out of it, obviously there will always be  the people who have no regard for any law and will do anything to further own greed. This happens in any walk of life and licensing can't be a solution as it will never work. Detectorists as a body must report nighthawkers and stop them in their tracks otherwise the hobby will banned as in lots of other European countries.
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 03:06:14 PM »

Unfortunately and I agree with Dungbeetle, licensing what good would it do, other than make life difficult for all the responsible detectorists who abide by the rules. A little like the gun lobby scenario.

If people go out night / day hawking making them buy a licence wont stop them.
alun

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »

Never stop them. Possible ignorance of a few but the rest don't care.
Most of us have tales of them, but the truth is it's us lot who suffer.
Since I passed on that info in Fidington I have been welcomed back down whenever I am down that way. Silver lining maybe but it still does not change the fact.
Good luck guys and gals.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home