Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: dissapearing signals  (Read 1855 times)
david995

« on: August 05, 2014, 09:10:42 AM »

I'm finding there are a few targets that get a  signal with the detector but not with the garret probe.

outwardly appears to be a kind of hard plastic but obviously can't be if being detected by the detector ,

so my question is what can give a signal to the detector but not to the prope ?  might explain a lot of dissapearing targets ( as well as the usual dropping deeper in the whole so out or range or the halo effect broken etc

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 10:55:48 AM »

Where about on the smart screen does it register David?
david995

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »

hi geoff , just checked now , its right at the bottom and dead centre of the smart screen  but it does nt make the BRRRR  low sound  you would expect from there   but a mid tone like you would get if gold or lead   ( im on conductive sounds  )  Huh  very iodd

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 03:33:35 PM »

David, have you double checked the hole after removing the suspected target.  Could be there are more than one item in the hole and you haven't quite reached the one that registers on the detector.

Also check sides and spoil and shovel.

Val

p.s.
 Had another thought about mineralised ground.  There are many Iron Ore seams throughout Wales.  I had a couple of fields that kept registering iron by the bucket load.  Even tried digging some but never found anything.  The land owner told me about the Iron Ore mining back in the 1700/1800's.  If that's what was there it made detecting almost impossible. Could be you have the same problem.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
david995

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 03:39:45 PM »

hi val  , i have recovered the items but they don' t register on the prope but do obviously on the detector

the nulling is because the ground has lots of small  iron,  its red soil caused by the iron  i have around 15 farms affected like that,  so not a one off

other farms i have are fine no problem

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 03:49:51 PM »

Sounds like very old ground that hasn't had much cultivation.  I've got an old farm like that.  Was sold about 3 years ago and the new owner ploughed all the fields. 1st time in a life time, or even 2. I think.  I could see patches the red soil especially in one field. 
I seemed to have double trouble there because I found chunks of very old charcoal and slag, which indicated Iron working. Combined with the age factor it made for very hard work and little to show for it.
We live and learn.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
david995

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »

some of the problem farms have been ploughed a lot its just the solil im afraid ,

i see from other posts they have a similar problem in areas in the usa ie red ground same problem lots of nulling 

as geoff has said only answer is to lower sensitivity and gain  and smaller coil or go all metal ,

the other way is to have a machine without the sensiivifity of the explorer and not be aware your missing lots of good stuff when the machine is nulling !!

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal