Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Out this morning for a couple of hours 23/11/08  (Read 7454 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 23, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »

After a week with manflu, I was itching to get out of the house this morning, so I went on a brief jaunt with Mark and Johnny (DetectingWales.com members). We went to an area we had never been before, past Bridgend with views of the sea. Lovely setting.

Mark did the honours by door knocking and was quickly rewarded by a friendly farmer. Farmers really seem to warm to Mark and he has oficially become our door knocker! His keeness to get us land was to be equally rewarded, and rightly so - more on that in a minute.

Anyway the fields had been harvested and were left in a "weak stubble" condition - perfect for us.

After only an hour or so I glance across this huge field and can see Mark in the distance doing our "Milled Silver hand signal" and reeling around in a frenzy of dancing, and looked like he was doing the robot! Thats not right for a bit of milled silver I thought - why is he so happy?  Anyway I down tools and head to Mark who is by now beaming from ear to ear as he hands me a William III (William of Orange) - 1697 (a rare year as most are 1696 - The Great Re-coinage year) Half Crown in lovely condition (apart from where there was a new mark - which looked suspiciously like it was from a spade! Wink). A cracking coin and the best Milled Silver we have found in our time as a Detecting Crew! Well done Mark - you deserve it mate!

So from there I headed off full of expectations, but no silver coinage for me today - just shed loads of buttons. I did however find a Medieval Strap End  (doubt anyone can date it?). I also found what looks like a coin weight - needs cleaning.

As I was about to leave I checked in with Mark and Johnny again. By now Mark had found an Edward hammered in decent condition (any details - mint, ed, etc anyone?) and Johnny had a rather battered Tudor hammered coin.

I left them in the field and headed home to my cooking duties. Greek lamb in lemon and feta sauce is on the menu - although I was half tempted to stay and let my wife make a toastie! Grin

Cheers
Neil
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:36:28 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:29:48 PM »

Some more photos. Once again we prove that "Nobody finds anything in Wales!"

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:38:11 PM »

nice finds them Neil, just got back from our Swansea w-end. nice morning detecting for you all m8.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »

Well done Neil and the team  Grin
I would have loved to have got out this morning but it wasnt too be  Sad

All the best
Phil

The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 07:03:02 PM »

Well done all. Great Halfcrown!!!!!!...I'll find one someday.....
JohnF

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 07:35:45 PM »

Well done, some lovely finds. Love that halfcrown.
John

You wont find a thing if you aint got that swing.
jaydogg
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 02:16:25 PM »

What I managed to scrape together after you had left Neil.  Hammereds a bit battered but nevermind.  Some interesting finds on Welsh soil! Didn't find one tube all day as well!!
jaydogg
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »

Flipside
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 02:32:56 PM »

Well done mate - good result - I knew I should have left the wife to starve!

The one on the bottom right certainly looks like a Henry III. The blankish one on top next to the sixpence I would go for a commonwealth penny.

Cheers
Neil
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:06:10 PM by Neil » Logged

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

1morecoin
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 03:29:41 PM »

some nice finds there Gents.
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 06:11:36 PM »

Nice find lads

Welcome to the forum Jaydogg  Grin
jaydogg
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »

Thanks gents.  Commonwealth Neil?  I wish; It's probably a Tudor coin, taken a battering unfortunately. 
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 06:53:16 PM »

Top right I am talking about mate - the commonwealth coins have a similar edging, unless in real life you can see more detail - have a look in your book. Bottom left is hard to see. Better photo?  Set your camera to macro.

Later
Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

maxine
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 12:09:12 PM »

Well done, some nice finds.  Smiley
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 10:30:04 PM »

Nice one Neil, I just love that William III.
Great finds ...

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal