Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: ultimate coil and iron  (Read 7459 times)
chantalpoole

« on: July 31, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »

iv been reading a lot of reviews about the ultimate coil for the safari/explorer/etrac ect.
People do seem to love them !!
I was reading that they can pick up a coin even if there is iron on or next to it.
My 11 inch procoil on safari will not pick up a hammered coin on the surface of the soil if there is iron below it (when i found my last one i wated to check the signal sound so put it on the ground in the field and nearly lost it again as i put it down on iron)
do ultimate coils really outperform procoils on iron infested sites or would i be better off buying a smaller coil and winkling between iron.

started detecting nov 2013
3 x hammy
6 x rings (1 gold 3 silver)
2 x romans
10 x full silver coins
92g of silver
1 x trade weight
a million odds n sods
and a bucket of scrap

it was this or prozac
bristolminelab
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:26:16 AM »

i have the ultimate coil on my safari ,i do feel it out performs the procoil but if there is a lot of iron etc because it covers a larger surface area it can be hard to seperate them out , i also have a small  coiltek joey coil which is great in high trash and Stubble and still goes quite deep,
So in all i have 3 coil size which all have there uses small medium and large and would not be without any of them, i must admit of the 3 coils i use the ultimate most of the time.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:48:23 AM »

As BM has said the ultimate has a greater surface area and so in highly contaminated areas it will suffer the same as any large coil and for those areas your suspicion of needing a smaller coil is the way to go but where the Ultimate does out perform the Pro coil is it's ability to signal two targets I don't mean two individual signals but the tone you get is completely wrong for either the id number or smart screen, where these may give an iron reading the coil sort of averages out the tones Undecided I had a silver denarius a couple of years ago which according to the screen was iron all the way to the bank but the tone just didn't match, when dug the denarius gave the correct reading but deeper in the hole was a large piece of iron. Wink
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:13:24 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
carling2

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »

I use a explorer se with the ultimate coil {well now I do Grin}, I have used the pro coil on the explorer for years and thought that it would take some beating, but I must say having used this ultimate coil twice now I can see it out performs the pro coil and I base this on several factors ,, I have only took the ultimate coil on a field that I had given up on some time ago {I have been tectin this said farm for close to 8 years} as a test and with the ground being so dry I wasn't holding out much hope but my last 2 decent finds have come from there using the ultimate and ive only done a 30 metre wide strip of the field,,, this thing is deep I aint one for measuring holes but looking at the hole once the object is retrieved I cant help thinking how the hell did I get that ?,,, with the coil being so big you would think it was heavy , its no heavier than a pro coil and the signals it picks up are clear and crisp,,,, im now looking foreward to going all over the other fields ive done in the past cause I know this thing will do the bizz Grin
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »

Hope Ctx gets a ultimate coil  Grin

david995

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 03:21:35 PM »

Are any particular coils better in mineralised ground ? or is all to do with the machine and ite frequancy ?

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »

Smaller coils are better in mineralised ground

david995

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »

yes thanks for that, 

ive gone down from a sef 15" to a 12"  and still a problem also ive  reduced sensitivety and going slow  i have explorer se smaller coil again maybe ?

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 09:01:55 PM »

ultimate coils kick ass especially on my etrac Wink.hits rings at a ft plus

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
Little_bro
NWDD Member

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 06:49:10 AM »

Ulitmate is good but on trashy ground I prefere the nel sharpeshooter coil.

Heus, modo itera omnia quae mihi nunc nuper narravisti, sed nunc Anglice

NWDD & NCMD
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »

iv been reading a lot of reviews about the ultimate coil for the safari/explorer/etrac ect.
People do seem to love them !!
I was reading that they can pick up a coin even if there is iron on or next to it.
My 11 inch procoil on safari will not pick up a hammered coin on the surface of the soil if there is iron below it (when i found my last one i wated to check the signal sound so put it on the ground in the field and nearly lost it again as i put it down on iron)
do ultimate coils really outperform procoils on iron infested sites or would i be better off buying a smaller coil and winkling between iron.

I think the main problem with minelabs is that hold the signal for to long and mask out some small non ferrous in iron contaminated areas....But iam avid fan of the Deus  Grin
david995

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »

carling,   i notice you use the explorer se same as me , how do you cope in minerialised ground if you have it with not have having a ground balance ? im finding on some fields i have to reduce sensitivity down to 20 or even 17 to get a hum !

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 02:37:31 PM »

David all the Explorers, XS, II, and SE work the same, they do ground balance but automatically I've got land that you can't detect much above a sensitivity of 9 so count yourself lucky if you can get 17 and remember your using way to big coils for mineralised land and a sens of 17 on a WOT coil could equal 27 on an 8" coil Wink
david995

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 03:09:41 PM »

hi geoff  i tried a  wot instead of a 15" sef but found the wot not so good on our beaches when the sef would be great .

but back to mineralised ground  as i say i've gone down to a 12 " sef from the 15" sef  as thats what i had , perhaps the 15 b" wot would be a better option the wot i have is the all terrain 2029 not sure if there are alternative wots  ? or i have the best one

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
carling2

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 05:43:05 PM »

I just think some people try to hard  Grin,,,ive never had me explorer sensitivity below 29 in the umpteen years I been using it and on many many varied sites ,, I dunno I must be the explorer master  Grin,,anyways enough tectin talk I been painting the house for what seems like years so the only thing ive swung lately is a paintbrush Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal