Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A tad bit hot today!  (Read 4062 times)
Doug

« on: July 24, 2014, 03:29:25 PM »

The coin looks to be a very worn Roman.

The village church with no village?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:34:56 PM by doug turner » Logged
Doug

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:37:15 PM »

Rest of the finds, I am sure the 'clod shot' is a Roman coin?

Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »

Your right Doug it is to hot mate, its not the best for detecting.

The coin is a roman, and it looks like you have a possible book clasp to.

Doug the church looks a old one with the square top, maybe 12th 13th century? so it may have something to do with the Black death why the village is gone, hundreds of villages was abandoned and never returned to, they were also knocked down except the churches, as so much of the population died  Smiley

Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 07:50:24 PM »

That's an urban myth Dale, there are very few villages that became deserted due to the black death itself most DMV's are a result of sheep farming in just the same way as Scotland suffered the Highland clearances and Ireland the Evictions of the 18th and 19th centuries Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »

The roman to me looks like one of the 'Genio Pop Romani' types - certainly early 4th century
Doug

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 06:10:11 PM »

Your right Doug it is to hot mate, its not the best for detecting.

The coin is a roman, and it looks like you have a possible book clasp to.

Doug the church looks a old one with the square top, maybe 12th 13th century? so it may have something to do with the Black death why the village is gone, hundreds of villages was abandoned and never returned to, they were also knocked down except the churches, as so much of the population died  Smiley

Thanks everybody.

The Church:

"The Church also has Norman origins with the chancel being rebuilt in the early 15th century. It formed part of the former  family mansion on the site. The chapel was erected as the south aisle around 1450, demolished in 1844 and rebuilt again in 1910. The tower was rebuilt in 1521."

Most of the small houses was demolished in the 1500's to make way for the manor house below. (Manor house is long gone and the site now built on)

Doug

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 06:10:35 PM »

The roman to me looks like one of the 'Genio Pop Romani' types - certainly early 4th century

Thank you.
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »

That's an urban myth Dale, there are very few villages that became deserted due to the black death itself most DMV's are a result of sheep farming in just the same way as Scotland suffered the Highland clearances and Ireland the Evictions of the 18th and 19th centuries Wink

Shhhh Geoff it sounded good Cheesy

Its what iv always been led to believe, I heard it a few times on programs, also local farmers il have a little Google at some point, having a think about it its surprising how many churches there are with no village, Winterbourne is one by me, its got a lovely medieval barn there though, one of the finest known in England it very big.... Wink

One of my favourite detecting (hammie) spots is near a church with no village, Geoff you have detected within a mile or so of it Grin
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 10:26:30 PM »

Strange, that.  Where I live is listed as Medieval and there was a chapel mentioned in the records in 1604 as being dedicated to St.Thomas and serving the needs of the residents of Begelly.

But where is it, or was it.  No one knows. We have a village with a religious name and NO church.  I have a theory that a village always grew up around something and that was often the Church.  Unfortunately I'd probably get lynched if I tried to prove where I think it might be.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »

Strange, that.  Where I live is listed as Medieval and there was a chapel mentioned in the records in 1604 as being dedicated to St.Thomas and serving the needs of the residents of Begelly.

But where is it, or was it.  No one knows. We have a village with a religious name and NO church.  I have a theory that a village always grew up around something and that was often the Church.  Unfortunately I'd probably get lynched if I tried to prove where I think it might be.

Val

Val the post I did with my two boys kicking the mud dust is a village with no church, it is mentioned in the dooms day book, it was only small with a few ploughs and slaves, but the church a mile away was large in its day with over 200 homes and its completely gone Smiley
carling2

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 09:05:38 PM »

it may be worth bearing in mind that some villages didn't have a church and people used to travel to the nearest village/parish.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »

If it didn't have a church it wouldn't be a village it would be a hamlet Wink
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 10:24:39 PM »

Hamlet ? thats a cigar and you can't smoke in church

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »

If it didn't have a church it wouldn't be a village it would be a hamlet Wink

So that's what a hamlet is  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal