Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amman Valley man's hunt for heirloom home - plus he's a DW Member!  (Read 2755 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: July 17, 2014, 09:25:42 AM »

Amman Valley man's hunt for heirloom home

An amateur Amman Valley metal detectorist who believes he has found a pocket watch belonging to a poet born over 100 years ago is hoping to reunite the time piece with the relatives of the original owner.

Martin Matthews, who took up metal detecting as a hobby only five months ago, came across the find while scanning in a Betws field.

“I’ve found many items while out searching, from old Victorian coins to bullet shells and even 1930s toys, but when I came across the pocket watch I knew straight away it was a fantastic find,” said Martin of Ceidrim Road, Glanaman.

“Fellow detectorists have told me it is very rare to find something so precious so early into the hobby. I feel very fortunate.

“Unfortunately, there is some damage to the face of the watch, but after a little clean up I was amazed by what I found on the back,” he said.

The watch has an inscription that reads – Presented to Ald J. Harries, JP, B.E.M, Pantyffynnon workmen for services rendered.

Following some research, Martin believes he may know who owned the watch.

“I’ve been doing a bit of online searching and so far I believe the man is John Harries, a councillor and poet from Betws, born in the 1870s,” said the 42-year-old.

“If there is a relative out there I would love to be able to pass the watch on to them,” he said.

“I would really like to know the history behind the watch.

“I’m sure there is a fascinating untold story. It would mean a lot to me if I could reunite the watch with its rightful owner.

“Many detectorists get a bad name for being scroungers, but we are here to help.

Imagine you have lost a ring in your back garden or out walking, that’s where we are able to help out.

“We don’t all do it for the money, it’s my hobby and I love it,” he said.

Do you think you may have some information about the pocket watch, the South Wales Guardian would love to hear from you.

If you can help contact the Guardian on 01269 590895.

* 8194410.JPG (21.27 KB, 458x344 - viewed 1272 times.)

* 10537930_742700729127792_462870833_n.jpg (31.44 KB, 458x258 - viewed 1257 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 11:35:38 AM »

Well done Matthew, what a great story and a great gesture from you. It really goes to show our hobby in a good light. I hope you get a lot more permissions from this.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
marknewbury1

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:56:15 AM »

Well done Matthew, what a great story and a great gesture from you. It really goes to show our hobby in a good light. I hope you get a lot more permissions from this.
I Matthew wot a find hope you find out more
Jimi nugget

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »

well done mathew

great find mate hope you find an ancestor/owner to have a happy ending to a great story Smiley

If you lye down with the dogs!!!!!!!! be prepared to wake up with fleas
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 06:28:13 PM »

weldone martin im from betws bud.i was in school with your brother.nice find

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
stever

"Wise is he who collects the wisdom of others."

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »

nice find well done

Finds Since Feb 2012
Gold Rinds x2
Gold  35g
Hammered-7
Silver coinage-53

Pages: [1]