Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For id please  (Read 1750 times)
roaljodaka
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »

Hi, found this yesterday it has a lovely old green tarnish to it, it does look very old as other club members have said, photos don't do it justice, it has been said it is a steelyard weighing arm on the forum thanks for possible id, i have looked but can find nothing like it, we were thinking some sort of harness mount??.

* roman 001.JPG (173.95 KB, 852x639 - viewed 258 times.)

* img024.jpg (7.6 KB, 311x54 - viewed 257 times.)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »

Can you include something in the photo for scale Roger also are there any signs of a break or is it complete?
roaljodaka
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »

Can you include something in the photo for scale Roger also are there any signs of a break or is it complete?

Totally complete geoff plus no stress marks as it being bent and it is exactly 100mm long, it looks like some sort of leather strap went through the groove at top, it 's deffo not modern, and like i said pics don't do justice.
Btw thanks for looking in to it  Wink
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:23:43 PM »

No I've had a trawl though my usual books but nothing Huh I can assure you it's nothing to do with a steelyard not even close, there are some areas where the corrosion has come away leaving what looks like reddish marks if this is accurate then it could indicate that the metal is probably brass which would mean that it's not that old also it's round and the older the time period the more that craftsmen tried to avoid "round"  though there are exceptions to every rule. I shall keep looking Wink
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:34:37 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »

I had a look at this find yesterday and it's not brass. It is almost certainly some  alloy of bronze. After that I'm baffled, but not a steelyard. Definitely has the look of age, it's a moulded piecee. Hope someone comes up with an id.
roaljodaka
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 02:24:44 PM »

I had a look at this find yesterday and it's not brass. It is almost certainly some  alloy of bronze. After that I'm baffled, but not a steelyard. Definitely has the look of age, it's a moulded piecee. Hope someone comes up with an id.

Oh thank you chris someone to back me up  Smiley Smiley, means alot, thanks chris  Wink Wink
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »

"Back you up" what do you think this is a gun fight Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
The problem is that if it isn't broken and it had a strap attachment then all you're left with is a stick Grin It bears a slight similarity to a latch lifter but the other end would need to have broken off Huh
roaljodaka
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 08:06:46 AM »

"Back you up" what do you think this is a gun fight  Grin Grin Grin Grin.
lol i thought all the lads were on a wind up again, that's why i said back me up.  Roll Eyes
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:32:13 AM »

lol i thought all the lads were on a wind up again, that's why i said back me up.  Roll Eyes
Strap your guns on for the next club dig Barry and we'll have a shoot out. It's got to be more fun than digging scrap up like last Sunday !
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »

Strap your guns on for the next club dig Barry and we'll have a shoot out. It's got to be more fun than digging scrap up like last Sunday !

Some of us didn't dig much scrap  Grin

XP Deus user
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »

Some of us didn't dig much scrap  Grin
That's the way Will rub it in while you can. Wait till I get back in form, you'll never hear the end of it then !!
roaljodaka
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 07:02:52 PM »

What happened to your finds in your baccy pouch chris you secret squirrel  Wink Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal