Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First 4 Hour session with my Etrac  (Read 3473 times)
Bojangle
Rally attendee

« on: July 17, 2014, 06:22:41 PM »

Well, loads of progress to report. I have my first permission to detect on a farm and have all the land owners contract signed in duplicate......that was a big hurdle to get over but feels good now I have a 26acre farm to work on.

First 4 hour session gave me loads of learns. Firstly how to dig plugs with care and replace without significant trace of being there took some practice , the grazing land I was on at the farm was fairly rough so it was a good opportunity.

I was using Andy Sabisch's pattern and managed to detect a whole load of iron and a few more interesting but fairly unidentifiable items. My first Horseshoe was a landmark, I am sure there will be many more.

My kit got very dirty especially my headphones which I was taking on and off every time I was digging and they looked like the colour of the earth by the time I was finished. It's good to get past being precious with this kit or you don't focus on the task at hand.

My first and only coin was a decimal penny 1977, ah well you have to start somewhere. I seemed to target a lot of lumps of slag which give off a fairly strong signal, dark lumps with shiney bits in.

My gardeners gloves now have holes in the ends of the fingers so I need something a little more robust.

What was good was the fact that I was able to sweep areas with an occasional target rather than my MD going off all the time , this gave me an opportunity to begin to listen carefully to the tones. It's going take a lot of practice to get those down to memory.

Great fun
Bo

* image.jpg (25.05 KB, 320x240 - viewed 1872 times.)

* image.jpg (26.58 KB, 320x240 - viewed 1876 times.)

* image.jpg (33.49 KB, 320x240 - viewed 1906 times.)

e-trac
Money 1 Pence
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »

Well done Bo. Nice mix of objects and plenty of proof of habitation. Always a steep learning curve, especially with your 1st machine.
I'm sure some more interesting finds will be coming up for you in short order.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
welsh john

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »

Hi Bo,
you will be surprised how quick you'll learn the different tones,it's a great feeling when the day comes and you just know what your machine is telling you.
Above all have fun.

Minelab Explorer SE.
Sef 8x6 coil,Platapus coil,10"stock coil.
Garrett pro pointer.
Finds,
Queen Ann trade weight.
Bronze Axe Head.
Roman partifact.
1350 Bronze Token.
William lll Sixpence.
George lll Shilling.
Victoria Shilling.
Silver......80g.
Gold.........0g.
Scrap
bristolminelab
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »

keep at it , you will rewarded with great finds soon Wink
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:18:19 PM »

Lots of stuff there!

Once you've cleared up all the iron, I'm sure you'll start to notice the other finds (and where they are on your ETRAC screen)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 09:22:04 PM »

Well, loads of progress to report. I have my first permission to detect on a farm and have all the land owners contract signed in duplicate......that was a big hurdle to get over but feels good now I have a 26acre farm to work on.

First 4 hour session gave me loads of learns. Firstly how to dig plugs with care and replace without significant trace of being there took some practice , the grazing land I was on at the farm was fairly rough so it was a good opportunity.

I was using Andy Sabisch's pattern and managed to detect a whole load of iron and a few more interesting but fairly unidentifiable items. My first Horseshoe was a landmark, I am sure there will be many more.

My kit got very dirty especially my headphones which I was taking on and off every time I was digging and they looked like the colour of the earth by the time I was finished. It's good to get past being precious with this kit or you don't focus on the task at hand.

My first and only coin was a decimal penny 1977, ah well you have to start somewhere. I seemed to target a lot of lumps of slag which give off a fairly strong signal, dark lumps with shiney bits in.

My gardeners gloves now have holes in the ends of the fingers so I need something a little more robust.

What was good was the fact that I was able to sweep areas with an occasional target rather than my MD going off all the time , this gave me an opportunity to begin to listen carefully to the tones. It's going take a lot of practice to get those down to memory.

Great fun
Bo

You got a great machine Bo and clearly commitment you will succeed mate  Wink
roaljodaka
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 09:36:27 PM »

Hi bo, well done, at least your digging!!, second picture down top left may look like a victorian seal stamp  Huh Huh maybe, better pic would be good.
Bojangle
Rally attendee

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 07:18:28 PM »

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I sure am enjoying it and completely get that  I have to get in tune with my Etrac and that it's going to take time.
Bo

e-trac
Money 1 Pence

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal