Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Illegal detecting  (Read 5660 times)
chantalpoole

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »

i hope that in the future better relationships can be forged with national trust and councils and cadw .perhaps where the national trust call on reputable clubs to further their research on particular areas closely monitored  and regulated of course.Or perhaps allow particular areas to be detected on set days with flo in attendance.I believe that detectorists have and can still help to piece together the jigsaw that is our history to the benefit of all involved if we were all able to negotiate with the above authorities .

started detecting nov 2013
3 x hammy
6 x rings (1 gold 3 silver)
2 x romans
10 x full silver coins
92g of silver
1 x trade weight
a million odds n sods
and a bucket of scrap

it was this or prozac
Phil Aberaman
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »

I Agree chef, at last the voice of reason,  but isnt it better to do remedial work before artifacts are put on ebay or sold to coin dealers?  but this dog in a manger attitude of the long heads and then pissing and moaning when these,s sites are robbed has got to stop it just bad PR for Detectorist,s.

Ive never heard of Nighthawk digging randomly in the hope of finding anything.
On the most important sites, get some academic and Detectorists together, dig and record anything within the depth of a detector jobs done.
They can be added to any groundwork data at a later date if and when they get funding to dig it properly.
Leaving it in the ground to be stolen is just daft its like putting a group of kids in a sweet shop and tell them not to shop lift.

Phil Aberaman
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »

Good post chantalpoole
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »

I sort of agree Paul but I have a feeling that when you start talking about remedial solutions the powers that be are far more likely to just outlaw metal detecting with a heavy fine AND imprisonment if caught using a detector even in your garden as it is in Ireland, illegal to use, illegal to sell and illegal to market we have it very cushy in this country and it's up to us to police it if and when we can Wink
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 10:23:19 PM »

We all express our disgust of night hawks but how would you feel if you suddenly discovered you'd been rubbing shoulders with a now convicted paedophile.
Seems a certain fella from Haverfordwest was a member of Johns flying club. All the other members are amazed. They all say what a nice bloke he seemed to be.
Just goes to show, you never know who you're mixing with.

Val

Well, I'm straight and normal.

What you been up too, Val?  Grin

Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 10:28:59 PM »

Not much Bob.  Merely expressing a fact.  There are worse animals than Night Hawkes.

Turns out that a certain Mr.Smith was an accepted member of Johns club and personally I would have preferred to rub shoulders with a thief than a scum bag like that.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Phil Aberaman
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 11:05:35 PM »

Your right Val  There are worse animals than Night Hawkes.
We dont need the press stiring up hated. i doubt if every hole the Police and Archys  found had a Artifact in it, i bet they dug up some rubbish like we all do.

I bought 2 mini shovels once from the Army Surplus shop in Pontypridd, the young lad asked what i was using them for, i said im a "Detectorist " he called me a Grave robber and detecting should be illegal, turned out he was a 1st year Archaeology student.
I would have got more respect if i said i was going to club a Badger to death with them. lol
Phil Aberaman
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 11:07:57 PM »

HI Bob
i havnt seen Salty around here much is he still Detecting ?? ??
chantalpoole

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 12:14:05 AM »

sorry to hear you met an obvious idiot when getting your spades.personally i would have demonstrated on him how you swing your detector.
i bet the shop owner would have been very annoyed at his young cashier.I think detecting is kinder to the enviroment than pumping lead and plastic balls into the ground during airsoft games ,paintballing ect.As detectorists we all know where those gun cartridges end up (in our rubbish pouches)
I do hear about negative attitudes in some areas,however in west wales iv never seen this.I have a friend who works for the national trust as an archiologist (he found the walkway up by borth when after the tidal storms) and he has never said anything bad about detecting.I also have a good friend who i was in school with who worked for the national trust and now does the planning department and he offered me his land to detect recently and told me of some great spots i should go and get permission on.
Next time you go to that surplus store be sure to bring in a nice big bag of tin foil,nails and ring pulls and tell him to write his thesis on them  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:18:46 AM by chantalpoole » Logged

started detecting nov 2013
3 x hammy
6 x rings (1 gold 3 silver)
2 x romans
10 x full silver coins
92g of silver
1 x trade weight
a million odds n sods
and a bucket of scrap

it was this or prozac
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 07:39:51 AM »

HI Bob
i havnt seen Salty around here much is he still Detecting ?? ??

No, he hasn't detected for a couple of years. He had trouble with his knees. I think he's had a op on them and is losing weight with weight watchers.

I don't know whether he will make a come back. He's so many hobbies. The last couple if years it's been radio ham and the guitars!

rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 07:46:52 AM »

Not much Bob.  Merely expressing a fact.  There are worse animals than Night Hawkes.

Turns out that a certain Mr.Smith was an accepted member of Johns club and personally I would have preferred to rub shoulders with a thief than a scum bag like that.

Val

Oh dear, and you've been watching Rolf Harris and Stuart Hall, et al.

You really do mix with the wrong people!  Grin

Phil Aberaman
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »

Lol Im a same Bob, The only pass time ive stuck at is eating  lol
I,ll have to give him a bell and catch up.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal