Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: depth  (Read 5661 times)
david995

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »

How about the Minelabs GPX and the new SDC and the Garrett ATX  or Whites TDI SL.  do any of them have even just iron discrimination ?

even if they had iron and foil ring pulls that would proberbly be enough for me as i dig medieval and roman sites so have to dig most signals anyway do they have different tones so you can decide to dig or not ? 

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 05:00:34 PM »

No, no and no  Grin They are all made primarily for gold prospecting 90% of this is done in the gold fields of the States, Australia and Africa where habitation has been thin on the ground and so is the detritus that goes with it.
david995

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »

As you say when someone events something to enable the pi machines a decent discrimination they will be onto something

A different thread i know ..but  i was out with the explorer again with the 15"wot coil on the fields with high mineralisation ,

had to turn sensitivity down to between 18 and 25 depending on which part of the  field i was on and also turned the gain down a bit , seemed to be ok ish and ran smoothly i had a few things to decent depth,  the ground is so hard and dry too at the moment so im sure that effects depth a bit , not sure if dry ground is worse or better for mineralisation ? 

The wot coil i have on it is the all terrain 15" model 2029 not sure what KHZ that is and was wondering if there is a different 15" wot with a different frequancy that might help in the mineralisation

of course using a smaller coil would help ! 

david

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »

No David the Explorer is multi frequency and so is the coil it emits it's primary search frequency between 11kHz and 16kHz but it also measures the returning harmonic frequencies and while this is what gives it the edge on id'ing iffy targets it's also what confuses the issue on heavily mineralised ground. Yes moisture in the soil will always give you greater depth (thus I don't detect in the summer) but it will also tone down the effect of the mineralisation but at the end of the day a small coil is the best option.
david995

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 06:33:52 PM »

Thank s again geoff   i will try my 12" sef ,i realise i may need smaller still  than that but i will try it ,   could you reccomend a coil to cope better in the mineralisition  ( explorer se  )

finds 2014/15/16

silver hammered x 83
milled silver x 89
 roman coins x 6
rings 14 ...4 gold
galoshers

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 10:13:21 AM »

Lets be honest, if i wanted to bury a hoard<I would want a REALL LONG shovel...  LOL.
     IMHO  I think most people would bury their hoard at least 12"+.. 

its not difficult to dig out a deep hoard so long as your equipped with the right tools .a normal spade is not much use.but if you use a fork to soften the soil then a spade to dig it out its no big deal to dig a 3 foot hole . in most cases its been added to over the millenia so the depth has increased from where the hoard was . XP were supposed to be selling a hoard hunter attachment for the Deus by now but no sign of it. the bigger the hoard the greater the depth IMO .then the displaced soil would need to be scattered about to level out the ground after burying the hoard .i dig a lot of deep holes and after 2 -3 feet you need to be in the hole to get the soil out.
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »

the depth i find most gold on beaches is at about 10''. the gold is always there on every beach but unfortunatly so is the sand ,at moment all my beaches got too much sand on but i keep checking just in case.you need to wait for the right moment then hit the beaches hard when conditions are good.
 inland is a totally different kettle off fish,i dont think i will ever suss out the score with inland detectin but thats part of the fun i guess
.you dont need a detector than hits deep if you get a good field. Wink

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
carling2

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 07:32:15 AM »

had myself a continuous high tone yesterday dug down about 2 ft and it was still there ,, thought bugger this and filled it back in, I wonder what was in there as the field to left and in front has produced plenty of roman bronze and silver and field to right a few saxon items,, oh well guess I will never know .
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 08:15:38 AM »

had myself a continuous high tone yesterday dug down about 2 ft and it was still there ,, thought bugger this and filled it back in, I wonder what was in there as the field to left and in front has produced plenty of roman bronze and silver and field to right a few saxon items,, oh well guess I will never know .

In all honestly after reading the above post I could not walk away and leave a diggable target without finding out what the target was even whatever the depth of the hole.

Using the Deus it does like deep iron, but but I did on a DW rally in Abergele have a croatal bell  it felt like 18", it was a cracking tone. Admittedly I was on the point of giving in  Roll Eyes and then got the target. Grin

I agree with Geoff these hot summer months the ground is now too hard in most cases to detect. I just picked up new ground  near a known roman site, and as much as I would love to nip over there now and detect. I explained to the landowner, that the fields need a fair bit of rain on them, so as to avoid causing damage. Detectorists who are considering digging 18" - 2' holes in dry soil would whoever you are struggle to replace the soil in a tidy fashion.

As to the original thread, I believe that a lot of the top end detectors offer too much discrimination to the user and reliance on a screen, when in fact the user should become more accustomed to the sound in your ear. A good tone or iron tone whatever you like to call it should be investigated, one flip over of a clod should either improve a tone or worsen more so on known historical sites.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal