Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 ruined cottages, 5 copper coins and a buckle  (Read 2117 times)
chantalpoole

« on: June 09, 2014, 09:14:19 AM »

Went down into a vally and there were 5 ruined cottages along the way.Too much grass and thorns at the moment as the cottages ''gardens'' are overgrown the minelab was falsing when hitting the long grass and thorns so only spent about 20 mins on each cottage. I found one coin at every cottage.
Ended up with 5 copper coins.Problem is the coins were a george ii halfpenny,a george iii cartwheel, a george iii halfpenny, a victoria penny and a george v penny
and  i cant remember which penny goes with which cottage  Tongue
Heres a pic of my george ii with a mid green patina thats about as thick as half of the coin  Grin

http://s2.postimg.org/rwt4uqxop/Picture_025.jpg

started detecting nov 2013
3 x hammy
6 x rings (1 gold 3 silver)
2 x romans
10 x full silver coins
92g of silver
1 x trade weight
a million odds n sods
and a bucket of scrap

it was this or prozac
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 09:23:53 AM »

Well done Chantal it sounds like an interesting area to search, a smaller coil may be an idea or a return in winter when there may be less plant life Huh What type of buckle was it as that could give a better date for land use at the moment the only semi-reliable date you can go by is the 1797 cartwheel penny as all the rest could have been used and dropped over 100 years after their issue date Wink
chantalpoole

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 09:59:26 AM »

The buckle is really standard prob off a harness or something so i dont think it gives any clues.the cottages were crude built stone single room dwellingsdotted along the stream.
There is a huge slate quarry which was open 1700 until 1920 only half a mile away so i think that the cottages were likely to be owned by workers.A railway line was put in to transport the slate in mid 1800 which used to run not far from the cottages.
Its looks like fantastic place to detect but you have to walk about 3/4 mile to get to the cottages and then walk back at the end of the day.Ill go down again in the winter when everythings died back but i do need to get a smaller coil as im using standard safari 11 inch procoil .I need something small and powerful so if anyone has any advice that would be great.

3 x hammy
2 x romans
10 x full silver coins
92g of silver
1 x trade weight
a million odds n sods
and a bucket of scrap

it was this or prozac
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 12:26:59 PM »

Hi Chantal,  well done on the finds and the walk. Wink

If you want to lay out for a powerful small coil go for the NEL Sharpshooter. 9 1/2  X 5 1/2 DD It's incredibly sensitive , good depth and light as a feather. Mine picks out good signals even when on, or surrounded by iron. Pin Pointing so much easier with this little coil.

Val
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:57:54 PM by Val Beechey » Logged

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
chantalpoole

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »

hiya val  Cheesy
thanks for the offer Smiley
I think the damn ferns were the worst everytime i bonked my coil on one it squeaked.The nettles were waist high and took every oppertunity to sting me i even have a nettle sting on my ear and today my hands itch like crazy from the stings.
I had to pull a money spider out of my hair because it was having a great time swinging around by the corner of my eye.
It seems these days val, if im not up to my waist in rivers, losing wellys in estuarys or climbing through thorn patches then im not detecting.
Saying that im fitter than ever and iv seen some amazing things like last week i was spitting distance from a huge heron who was perched in the river looking for lunch  Cheesy

3 x hammy
2 x romans
10 x full silver coins
92g of silver
1 x trade weight
a million odds n sods
and a bucket of scrap

it was this or prozac

Pages: [1]
  Print