Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Detecting in salou  (Read 5435 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: June 02, 2014, 03:06:01 PM »

Hi peeps just thought I would share this clip of a detecting trip in Salou in Spain, Cool Cool that is if it has attached itself to the post, Roll Eyes if it does not I will post again! It was filmed by keepmeteethinthejar…..in the nineties when a chap called Chris Martin and Mel from up north arranged coach trips and they would pick us up at Heston services. It was well attended 30 plus people all eager to detect in the warm waters of the med, and involved copious amounts of beer and laughter with a great bunch of blokes, and ladies. As you can see the end result was good as can be seen by the finds tables, Shocked although it was not one of our best trips for gold tally by no means, the blingy watch was found by me old mucker mate keepmeteeth….. Grin and was a lotus watch,  the good looking much younger and now sober chap sat on the big flower pot is yours truly and yes I can’t remember why I was laughing but I may have had a pint or two Smiley, incidentally that same flower pot was responsible for almost breaking my leg when the following evening whilst running I caught my shin on it and tore the skin Cry Cry. Those of you have have used wet suits will know that when you want to use the toilet in the water you just filled up the wet suit (only wee though) Shocked and a nice warm feeling would follow, however this and the sand in the suit caused an infection on my shin and I spent 2 weeks on antibiotics when I got back home in agony Cry Cry. We had several years of trips in May and October. Just thought I would share it on D/W . We have many beach detectorists  on here and most do well with the gold when conditions and tides allow, what you need to remember is the beaches are hammered most of the year and yet still produce, that said get a dry suit or wet suit on and get in the water and an untapped area of the beach becomes available….the vast majority of jewellery is beyond the low tide just lying there….hence my new CTX to try and tap in to this source this year on the south coast with me mate . Time will tell as to how good we do but one thing for sure we will have fun trying and that’s what we all do.
metal detecting salou...1997...chris martin coach trip
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:35:20 PM »

It doesn't quite work like that though Paul at least in Britain...yes there is no doubt a mass of objects waiting just out of reach but not like Salou or anywhere in the Med for that matter and for two very good reasons the first is tides, the Med doesn't have one, night or day the sea is just there and so nice and handy to get into thus the losses are concentrated between certain boundaries, in the UK when the tide is in people lose things and we find them when the tide goes out but when it does go out, and you can be and usually are talking an awfully long way, how many people do you see in it? Not many Undecided
The other is temperature...while the cold helps to loosen that nice jewellery from peoples fingers it does nothing to get them in the water in the first place (especially when the tides out) the summer mean water temperature around the UK is around 19°c....the same as the cold water tap in Summer while in the North and West Med it's around 30°c that's an uncomfortably warm room.
Having been a diver for many years unless your going to confine your water detecting to just August don't even think about a wet suit buy a dry suit or important parts of you anatomy will drop off Grin
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:41:39 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
keepmateethinajar

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:40:34 PM »

Wink Wink...great write up mate...only thing is you mention running in to large flower pot...but forgot to say WHY and HOW...do you want me to say or shall I leave that up to you.. Cry Cry Cry Cry....and as for the beaches in this country well you go back to Victorian times and with sand erosion cutting dunes back to where they are now....going out further from the low tide mark could be a big bonus... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

tis better to have loved a short women....than to never have loved a tall
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »

It doesn't quite work like that though Paul at least in Britain...yes there is no doubt a mass of objects waiting just out of reach but not like Salou or anywhere in the Med for that matter and for two very good reasons the first is tides, the Med doesn't have one, night or day the sea is just there and so nice and handy to get into thus the losses are concentrated between certain boundaries, in the UK when the tide is in people lose things and we find them when the tide goes out but when it does go out, and you can be and usually are talking an awfully long way, how many people do you see in it? Not many Undecided
The other is temperature...while the cold helps to loosen that nice jewellery from peoples fingers it does nothing to get them in the water in the first place (especially when the tides out) the summer mean water temperature around the UK is around 19°c....the same as the cold water tap in Summer while in the North and West Med it's around 30°c that's an uncomfortably warm room.
Having been a diver for many years unless your going to confine your water detecting to just August don't even think about a wet suit buy a dry suit or important parts of you anatomy will drop off Grin
Of course Geoff you are right about tides the Med is no comparison to our tides Smiley, however beyond low tide at least on the south coast people still swim and splash about hence the losses, take Bournemouth, Sandy bay etc.  look at them on a hot day thousands take a plunge Cool its packed and I  have done well when I had my Excalibur , whilst I have never dived nor would I want to (scary things with big teeth and stingy things are about) Shocked having said that I was stung in Majorca by a Portuguese man of war on the hand and got infected when I got back home and ended up at hospital for treatment Cry Cry, I    have detected in a wet suit in May through to September  Shocked as you say when the temperature allows which admittedly is not often, so  a dry suit is the way to detect here as you say. Fancy getting back in the waters for detecting Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink  
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:03:11 PM »

Of course Geoff you are right about tides the Med is no comparison to our tides Smiley, however beyond low tide at least on the south coast people still swim and splash about hence the losses, take Bournemouth, Sandy bay etc.  look at them on a hot day thousands take a plunge Cool its packed and I  have done well when I had my Excalibur , whilst I have never dived nor would I want to (scary things with big teeth and stingy things are about) Shocked having said that I was stung in Majorca by a Portuguese man of war on the hand and got infected when I got back home and ended up at hospital for treatment Cry Cry, I    have detected in a wet suit in May through to September  Shocked as you say when the temperature allows which admittedly is not often, so  a dry suit is the way to detect here as you say. Fancy getting back in the waters for detecting Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink  

Sandy Bay is the beach on my mine !! also Fistral, but I imagine there is tons of tabs and bottle tops there, with the gold Wink 
keepmateethinajar

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy...well hes had 24 hrs to reply....the reason celtic spikey cut himself on flower pot is because he went in to street to use phone..once finished he looked up at our hotel and saw me reading paper on balcony...with that he picked up a large heavy object and whistled it in my direction just missing my head by 3 inches..he ran off and fell over this sharp edged flower pot...on arrival at room I could tell he had been blubbing... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 11:11:18 PM »

ROFL   Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »

right im off peeps Grin

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy...well hes had 24 hrs to reply....the reason celtic spikey cut himself on flower pot is because he went in to street to use phone..once finished he looked up at our hotel and saw me reading paper on balcony...with that he picked up a large heavy object and whistled it in my direction just missing my head by 3 inches..he ran off and fell over this sharp edged flower pot...on arrival at room I could tell he had been blubbing... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Yes it's all true and he did not even try to attach my leg back on Cry and to think like me he was in a caring profession  Angry
galoshers

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 12:34:03 PM »

heavy industry area with polluted water ,yeah great if you want 6 fingers
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »

Brilliant a ring on each finger that's 2 more than we were born with!!!! No dirtier than some of British beaches I know.  Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »

Says he who mudlarks on the Thames Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
keepmateethinajar

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 11:04:47 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin....I don't know anything about detecting....but I do like a nice fluffy kitten.... Grin Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal