Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: why did you get in to metal detecting  (Read 6590 times)
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 08:38:10 PM »

The psychiatrist at the High security prison where I was an inmate, suggested that I get a hobby, so he gave me a detector and a
spade, first signal I dug was so deep it took me under the prison walls, I haven't looked back since. I joined DW and its just
like being back with my fellow patients.

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 11:58:35 PM »

Curiosity I guess..... I also met a very nice fella on Porthcawl beach named Alan known as ThePastFinder on dw. I recently learned he has since sadly passed away and all my finds up until now I dedicate to him. He pointed me towards dw.com and from there I became more interested in the historical side of detecting and learned so much more about the hobby. The sheer variety of objects that come out of the ground and anticipation of what will come up next keeps me going  Wink

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
Bill from Lachine

carpe diem = seize the day.

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 01:16:18 AM »

Folks,

My wife thinks that anyone who detects is pretty much crazy....lol.....so here's a tune for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkOsjxh0htU
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 08:05:21 AM »

come on guys what's your story ,what was your reason for getting in to metal detecting
Having been interested in history at school (probably the only subject)  Grin I suppose the seed was planted then, one way or another, then I met a chap who had recently found a hoard of Siliquas who told me he had found them in the bank along side a lane which I could see from my house, for the next year or so I thought that if he had found it may be I could find some treasure as well, I started purchasing treasure hunting and that was it. Up until then fishing was my hobby,but it was not long before the rods and reels went and I was the proud owner of an Arado 120, that was it 30 years later, it's my life as far as hobbies are concerned  Tongue Tongue Tongue Wink
b.buoy
NWDD Member

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 09:06:35 AM »

I had the Arado 120 for many years also. I knew that machine so well and it used to talk with me through the tones. Only really needed the meter for deep iffy signals. Had the 95 as well for beach work but still preferred the 120B
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 09:29:34 AM »

come on guys what's your story ,what was your reason for getting in to metal detecting
Having been interested in history at school (probably the only subject)  Grin I suppose the seed was planted then, one way or another, then I met a chap who had recently found a hoard of Siliquas who told me he had found them in the bank along side a lane which I could see from my house, for the next year or so I thought that if he had found it may be I could find some treasure as well, I started purchasing treasure hunting and that was it. Up until then fishing was my hobby,but it was not long before the rods and reels went and I was the proud owner of an Arado 120, that was it 30 years later, it's my life as far as hobbies are concerned  Tongue Tongue Tongue Wink

Paul you said he found the Siliquas in a bank, its surprising how many hoards are found in banks, I know of a small groat hoard found in the bank splitting two fields, when the hedges was pulled out to increase the size of the field that's when it came to light.
Im waiting on a book now about all about hoards it should be interesting..... but with out doing research I think the name bank we use today comes from the day it was buried in banks ( the bank of its day literally) Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »

but with out doing research I think the name bank we use today comes from the day it was buried in banks ( the bank of its day literally) Wink

Don't you start with that rubbish Shocked It's the longest lived bit of tripe in metal detecting Grin....Bank, financial, is the Lombardic word for counter and nothing to do with earthen banks end of.
This little gem is my pet hate and the next person that even mentions an association gets......
 Cheesy
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 11:44:05 AM »

Calm down dad .watch the blood pressure

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
chantalpoole

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 11:59:21 AM »

I got into it because i find it very calming and good for my stress levels which have been high for the past 6 months.
whats more relaxing than sticking headphones on and digging your worries  away  Grin

started detecting nov 2013
3 x hammy
6 x rings (1 gold 3 silver)
2 x romans
10 x full silver coins
92g of silver
1 x trade weight
a million odds n sods
and a bucket of scrap

it was this or prozac
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »

Paul you said he found the Siliquas in a bank, its surprising how many hoards are found in banks, I know of a small groat hoard found in the bank splitting two fields, when the hedges was pulled out to increase the
size of the field that's when it came to light.
Im waiting on a book now about all about hoards it should be interesting..... but with out doing research I think the name bank we use today comes from the day it was buried in banks ( the bank of its day literally) Wink
Dale it was a slope not bank Wink and I agree a lot is found in them, I'm not disputing with Geoff, that guns bullets he put up could take someone's eye out Wink of course he's rite thou  Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 03:37:46 PM »

but with out doing research I think the name bank we use today comes from the day it was buried in banks ( the bank of its day literally) Wink

Don't you start with that rubbish Shocked It's the longest lived bit of tripe in metal detecting Grin....Bank, financial, is the Lombardic word for counter and nothing to do with earthen banks end of.
This little gem is my pet hate and the next person that even mentions an association gets......
 Cheesy

LoL can I put my hands down now?
Jimi nugget

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »

i was a great believer in blood sports fishing,shooting,hawking even spear fishing and a really good friend of mine and musket ball off DW were out all the time i was constantly taking the mickey telling them to get a proper hobby.
Then 1 nite they talked me into going down to one of the local beaches after a really heavy storm as the shovel boy the finds they where pulling out was amazing i,ve always loved history from roman to norman and after that i was hooked rods and guns haven't surfaced since.

Also i would like to note that an elderly gentleman told me that one day the blood thurst would leave and i would prefer to see the little animals alive in all there glory instead off killing them.
i don't no if hes right and i,ve grown up or detecting has taken over time will tell i suppose.

p.s i even swerve to MISS the rabbits these days lol

If you lye down with the dogs!!!!!!!! be prepared to wake up with fleas
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »

I s'pose it was a natural progression for me.  I was always a Tom Boy and a collector of all things a bit different. I don't think I've ever been able to get back home after a walk without something in my pocket.
I saw someone with a detector and said I'd love to try that and guess what,  Father Christmas brought me one. Unfortunately I didn't have the confidence to take it out on my own and it languished in the cupboard for about 4 years.  Then one day I saw a couple detecting on the beach and wondered over to speak to them about it. He agreed to meet up with me and introduce me to some proper detecting. I found a couple of old coppers and a shoe buckle and that was it, I was hooked.
I wish now that I'd had the confidence to start earlier. I love the hobby, the history, the identification of the most obscure bits and the freedom of being out in a field in the Sunshine with the birds singing and some beautiful scenery to look at when I stop for a breather. And, of course there's always the hope of finding something nice.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »

great storys thanks all Smiley Smiley

the mighty xp Deus
welsh john

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 03:55:06 PM »

I've always been interested in metal detecting but did not have the time, not a lot of free time untill I went semi-retired in work
and could then devote some time to the hobby, I brought a whites coin master and joined a club,the coin master was replaced with a
second hand Explorer SE not that the Coin master was no good it's a great machine for the money, but every one else was using Minelabs so I thought that I should have one.I love metal detecting and hate not being able to go out detecting it's like an addiction
and makes me look at history in a different light.

Minelab Explorer SE.
Sef 8x6 coil,Platapus coil,10"stock coil.
Garrett pro pointer.
Finds,
Queen Ann trade weight.
Bronze Axe Head.
Roman partifact.
1350 Bronze Token.
William lll Sixpence.
George lll Shilling.
Victoria Shilling.
Silver......80g.
Gold.........0g.
Scrap