Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: why did you get in to metal detecting  (Read 6589 times)
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« on: May 04, 2014, 08:06:26 AM »

come on guys what's your story ,what was your reason for getting in to metal detecting

the mighty xp Deus
adt69

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »

My daughter lost her ring so I went out got a cheap detector to find the rind, then it went from there, I found detecting wales website after doing research, got a Garrett ace 250 worked my way through loads of detectors, its a very addictive hobby.
Al
stever

"Wise is he who collects the wisdom of others."

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 10:06:19 AM »

I have always loved history and bought a detector I love the fact  that when you find stuff it kind of makes history more real if that makes any sense and then once you find  stuff you hooked Grin

Finds Since Feb 2012
Gold Rinds x2
Gold  35g
Hammered-7
Silver coinage-53
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »

Because I didn't know any better Cheesy Cheesy
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 12:08:15 PM »

come on guys what's your story ,what was your reason for getting in to metal detecting

Detecting has been the chosen hobby for my dad, uncle and friends so iv grow up with it really, my brother never liked it he never went out once, he would rather sit at a lake for 3 days looking at a float bobbing about lol where he is now Grin to me that's boring, but he thinks im mad digging tiny bits of lead and buttons, so many people start the hobby, but give up after a few months its not for everyone.

The thing with detecting is how it leads to other things like research when im not detecting or on DW im researching the items I find, the village I detect, even the names of local places interest me, its all history and called it for a reason.....It just goes on Cheesy il stop now Wink 

Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 12:13:53 PM »

i always loved history and finding stuff so that's how i start to do metal detecting .
monkeymad

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:28:16 PM »

Always dreamed of hoards of treasure since been a kid then I had a major accident and the physio said after 3 years of ops and physio I should quit fishing and try metal detecting. It's all gone down hill since then hahahaha.

I love it.

Marcus Porcius Purpurio

2013 finds:-
Hammered x6
centenary medal x1
Fob seal matrix x1
Tons of other bits now.
carling2

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 03:33:24 PM »

boredom and something to fill up the time,1 day I just thought I will buy myself a metal detecter,,then I went obsessed for a while now the pills have worked and im much more chilled out on the topic these days Grin
nonker10

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 05:04:35 PM »

i was fascinated watching a local old boy finding stuff on a field near my home in the 70s so when i saw one in either a janet fraser or kays catalogue and was soon the proud owner of a c scope bfo machine.
marknewbury1

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 05:28:50 PM »

4 years I u to dig old bottles when I was out fishing from the river banks  and out rabbiting my best find in a rabbit hole a ,,,16century silver cockrel

* P080612_11.09.jpg (103.66 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 690 times.)
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »

keeps me off the drugs beer and wild women,well off the first two anyway lol  Roll Eyes
 oh aye and im adiccted to gold.its the thrill of getting something for nothing i supose Grin
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:29:09 PM by dances with badgers » Logged

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
herbie

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »

keeps me of the drugs beer and wild women,well off the first two anyway lol Roll Eyes
lol Mike, I've cut down aswell Cheesy Cheesy

Same sh*t different hole!!
JBM

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »

A interest in history especially local history.

Guaranteed exercise and the pleasure of walking close to the natural world that others fail to see in their lifetime. Wink Smiley  Jerry.
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 06:25:34 PM »

some great answers keep them coming guys and gals
i started in december with no interest in history , i never dreamed of large hoards or bags of gold coins , and to be honest i couldnt care if i never find gold , the reason it interested me was i could not fish anymore with the problems in my spine and i needed a hobby , so after a bit of research and pestering people (chef geoff) lol i came to the conclusion i wanted to start metal detecting to get me out of the house and try to lose some weight , now im hooked and love to get out as much as possible , im more interested in history now than i ever have been and love researching the things i find (when i find )
i have also meet some great people who i class as friends and also enjoy their company and i hope they enjoy mine too

the mighty xp Deus
b.buoy
NWDD Member

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »

Was on hols in Cornwall in 70s when the hippy beach bums used to sign on dole in Devon and Cornwall and just spend the summer surfing etc. (cos in those days they could)
Met a guy with a BFO machine who was doubling his dole money with coin finds in the soft sand. Probably some jewellery  as well but he only showed me pocket full of coins.
Bought a cheap machine when I went home and started that way, mainly on local beaches. Used to bottle dig as well with a local guy who has since become the area historian and is well respected.
My work used to take me abroad a lot so I detected in France, Spain and other parts of Europe when there were few restrictions.
As people say, it is a love of finding history, even a grotty old penny. Gave up for many years but have started again because a grandson is keen.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal