Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New detector  (Read 4354 times)
Broom90
Rally attendee

« on: April 21, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »

Hello. I'm new to the world of metal detecting and currently using a garrett ace 150. I paid £70 for it second hand.

I'm giving this to a friend and buying a new one for myself. I have a budget of £350 so can anyone advise me on my best option for this price range. What will be the noticeable difference between the garrett 150 and a £350 machine. Also, I've had my first permission on a farm in cowbridge but all I'm managing to find is old foil milk bottle tops. Would a more expensive detector be able to find deeper items?

Cheers
JBM

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »

Buy a quality second user detector and not a cheaper new one.

It will also  be a better financial investment when you want to sell it and move on again. Wink  Jerry.
titanium

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:35:35 PM »

Try the garret euro ace it goes deep an it discriminates well ;-)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:51:12 PM »

Depends on where you want to use it.  Garrets aren't much good on the beach (wet part) but will find on land.
Best have a look around at 2nd hand machines, pick a couple you like the look of at the right price and then ask again.  There's plenty out there.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
bristolminelab
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:08:49 PM »

I bought a new TEKNETICS EURO TEC PRO with 8 inch coil and a new 12 inch Nel hunter coil for around £280 as a backup machine , its a great detector and simple to use, very good in trashy areas with lots of iron around but  no good on wet sand on the beach.
A second hand machine from
 http://staffsmetaldetectorsonlineshop.co.uk/detectors-23-c.asp
they are very helpful and they have a large amount of different machines to choose from and they have a garantee
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »

And he's a great Guy to deal with.  You can ring him for advice. Very helpful, Wink

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 08:12:35 PM »

hi was going to say try
http://www.detecnicks.co.uk
it's a family run shop with honest people and i think free delivery ,always lots of second hand machines there  Smiley Smiley

the mighty xp Deus
trojan

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:23:28 PM »

I bought a new TEKNETICS EURO TEC PRO with 8 inch coil and a new 12 inch Nel hunter coil for around £280 as a backup machine , its a great detector and simple to use, very good in trashy areas with lots of iron around but  no good on wet sand on the beach.
A second hand machine from
 http://staffsmetaldetectorsonlineshop.co.uk/detectors-23-c.asp
they are very helpful and they have a large amount of different machines to choose from and they have a garantee

the guys name is kevin, tell him you spoke to nick from fishguard, and he will give you a discount, hes an awesome guy to deal with, and the only second hand dealer i know that gives a 3 month warranty on machines

E-Track CTX 3030
Broom90
Rally attendee

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 08:39:19 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. After reading up on the garrett euro ace I'm tempted to go for for it however, I'll do a little more research first. I'll give the shop you suggested a call when i finish work tomorrow afternoon. Again thanks for all the help and please keep the suggestions coming. I'll update you soon with my choice.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »

the guys name is kevin, tell him you spoke to nick from fishguard, and he will give you a discount, hes an awesome guy to deal with, and the only second hand dealer i know that gives a 3 month warranty on machines

It's not Kev being nice it's a legal requirement all retailers have to give a minimum 3 month guarantee but in saying that Kev has got the largest stock in S/H to choose from and he knows his stuff. Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 09:05:03 PM »

If you are upgrading then I would seriously miss out the Euroace as while it's a good machine it's still in the lower to middle ranks as far as performance is concerned (yes you can up the performance with after-market coils) and I feel that if you bought one you would be back in the market place inside 12 months upgrading again. Jerry has given the wisest advice in "buy second hand" for £350 you should be able to pick up a Minelab Explorer XS or II which will instantly put you at the top of the tree as far as machines go, there are others that now hold the top spot but only on usability not performance.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minelab-Explorer-XS-Metal-Detector-/191143641628?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minelab-Explorer-XS-Metal-Detector-/321384446761?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item4ad4017b29

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minelab-metal-detector-/331180952347?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Wink
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 09:26:53 PM »

a second hand explorer is a good investment,good for inland and beaches

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal