Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dowsing Rods V's A Metal Detector  (Read 8302 times)
Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan )
Superhero Member

Star of Radio, T.V. and now Youtube, lol.

« on: October 29, 2008, 04:17:54 PM »

Dowsing Rods V's A Metal Detector  
A few years ago one of my farmers phoned me to ask if my metal detector could find a metal water pipe that was running under his field and up to his house.
I said "yes as long as its not too deep",  I jumped into my car and drove to his farm to see whats what,  he said he remembers laying it quite a few years ago and pointed to a field the other side of a small wood and bog,  he said it runs down there through the wood and the bog and comes into this field somewhere and up to the house, but couldn't remember the exact line.

I asked him how deep it was, "ohhh  it's not deep he said,  only a couple of inches down".
I spent the next couple of hours  slowly walking back and forth a large part of the field trying to locate it,  but gave up in the end thinking I should have had it by now.

I went to see another detecting pal who's detector detects a bit deeper than mine and asked him if he'd come with me the next day and try it with his,  he readily agreed.
We spent another couple of hours walking slowly back and forth the area,  but again, no signals from a water pipe,  a few coins maybe but no water pipe.

I thought this is strange as its only supposed to be a couple of inches deep.
not one to give up easily I done a bit of thinking to see if I can come up with another way of finding it,  I remembered that when I was younger I was watching a water board man looking for a land drain running through a playing field,  he was slowly walking along holding 2 pieces of stiff wire out in front of him,  to my supprise at one point the wires crossed by themselves, wow,  he said that's where it is.  he dug down a bit  and there was the drain, covered by small stones.

I just had to ask him for a go at that, blimey, real magic I thought.  It worked for me too,  I asked him about finding coins or rings, can it find them,  he said yes, just hold a simular one in your hand when your divining, we tried it with a coin,  and again they crossed when i walked over it.

This gave me an idea,  anything is worth a try at this stage,  so I went home and looked for some wire, I found some old fencing and cut 2 pieces from that and bent the one end down for a handle.
After a quick trial over as man holecover in the back garden  I went back to the farm to try them out there.

I showed them to the farmer and his wife and explained how they are supposed to work,   ohhh  dear,  they just laughed at the idea and thought I was going Cuckoo,  "Are you expecting me to believe that load of mumbo jumbo he asked",
I said "well,  lets just give it a try and see what happens hey".

I slowly  walked back and forth over the same patch as before,  and sure enough every now and then the wires would cross, I found a stone and placed it on the ground at the point of the  first signal to mark it,  when I received another signal I asked the farmer's wife to gather some stones which were lying about on the surface and place them at the point where my wires had crossed.

After a little while and quite a few signals the farmer appeared in front of his house,  he shouted out ," Hey Alan,  those stones are running in a straight line to the marker I have in the other field,  I can see it from up here",   he couldn't believe it, saying hey, there maybe something in this Mumbo Jumbo after all.

We went on to dig a couple of exploritary trenches about 8 to 10 inches deep, but he stopped me  there,  saying " No their not that deep,  It can't be it,  Never mind he said,  thanks for trying anyhow".
A couple of days later he got a small digger in to dig small trenches to look for it,   Luckily he started at the end of my line of stones,   he found the pipe just a couple of inches deeper, and again in a couple of small trenches he dug along my line of stones.

He phoned me to exitedly tell me that I was spot on with my strange pieces of wire after all and just wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes.

So another satisfied farmer and another well pleased detectorist. Untill next time,  keep thinking positive.

Wink  Alan
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:26:12 PM by Al.Thepastfinder, ( Alan ) » Logged

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »

Hi Alan
Great Detecting story you must has a million.

Keep um comming
Regards
Phil Jones
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:50:44 PM »

Great story Alan! I know Steven King at the Cardiff Scan Club is a big believer in the power of divining rods. Never tried it myself, but he seems pretty confident that it works. I also met a farmer once who swore blind that his father used to use it to find water sources for other farmers in his village quite regularly at the turn of the last century. There must be something in it.

Keep them coming
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 01:15:45 PM »

Thanks Phil and Neil,
  Yeah they do work  and they are still used to find underground water i understand,
 best wishes
Alan

digger

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:32:08 PM »

Hi all, Steve King of Cardiff Scan Club lost his dowsing rods at the Longbridge
Deverill rally. Some lucky devil is probably finding lots of water pipes and manhole
covers in Wiltshire fields. He swears they really worked. Anyway, he said he would
call on the great god Vulcan to send him a replacement set.    Digger
bymatt666 (byron)
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E.member

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 09:53:02 PM »

i've got some divining rods alan...i made them a couple of years ago...unfortunately they did'nt work for me...tut...but having read your tip about holding a coin in your hand at the same time..i'm going to try it again !.great story by the way.......byron

i'd give up chocolate....but i'm no quitter !
minelab explorer xs
NCMD member
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:35:11 AM »

Hi all

Byron you could have practiced in my back garden.

After the recent flooding in my area  rct have been clearing the culvert on the mountain above my house .The councel just called in to find a 4 foot manhole i didnt know i had buried in the garden.
I offered my service,s to find it ,I think its the most interesting find ive had in  along time lol
digger

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 09:52:53 AM »

news flash.---- following on the massive success of their latest model, a snip at
only £1200, Minelab have announced that they will be unveiling the new,improved
version of the latest set of dowsing rods. They say they,ll be easy to use,dont take
up much room in your car, and will only cost £35.00 Look forward to next year
release date on April 1st.  Be first to get your order in, tyey,ll sell like hot-cakes.
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes                                   Digger

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 09:59:56 AM »

lol digging
Sounds like a bargin to me  Smiley
digger

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 11:18:15 AM »

Oh,I forgot to mention it comes with a standard phones socket, so you can listen
for Ley lines,and also you might hear Gollum calling out for his "Preciouuus"
Cheers,happy listening.   Digger
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 04:28:43 PM »

Well Thats another thing i,ll have to add to my xmas List lol
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 03:03:17 PM »

Well im Shocked

I was bored yesterday so i typed Dowsing rods in the Ebay Keyword box..200+ items for sale
some go for £.00 free post
you can even hunt coins with them !
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 03:04:41 PM »

wow, at that price your wife can get you one for christmas Phil  lol

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 03:45:36 PM »

Im not telling her i want one Because the other thing i want is an Explorer SE PRO or an Etrac

I know what id be getting up to Xmas Morning and i wouldnt need batterys and have Minelab on the box  lol
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 08:28:52 PM »

Nice one Alan, I know that over where I live in Slimbridge their is a "Devining Club" & they reckon that they can find vertually anything so it's good to keep an open mind!

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal