Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Treasure hunter strikes gold to find ring belonging to wealthy 17th-century  (Read 2925 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: April 17, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »

By Hugo Gye

A gold ring made by a wealthy money lender who owned the land where Buckingham Palace now stands has been found in a field by a treasure hunter. 

The 24-carat piece of jewellery was a 'mourning ring' made in memory of Hugh Audley, a major landowner in the Jacobean period. 

It was found near Tibenham in Norfolk by John Reed using his metal detector, and was yesterday declared treasure trove by a coroner. 

Treasure: This mourning ring was made in memory of Hugh Audley, a famous money lender
Hugh Audley was one of the most famous - and notorious - money lenders of the 17th century, and was worth the equivalent of £30million when he died.  He owned land across Mayfair, which was then on the edge of London, including the plot where Buckingham Palace would later be built. 

He also became sheriff of Norfolk, and owned land across the county including Old Buckenham Castle, New Buckenham Castle and Tibenham Hall. 

Discovery: The ring was found by enthusiast John Reed using his metal detector in Tibenham, Norfolk

Property: Audley owned the land where Buckingham Palace now stands, then just outside London

After he died in 1662, he passed his fortune to a great-nephew, and it was eventually inherited by the Grosvenor family which still owns swathes of central London.

He also left a number of mourning rings to his family, like the one found by Mr Reed. 

'According to Mr Audley's will, he had 11 rings made in two different sizes - one to fit men and the other for women,' he said. 

'I haven't heard that any of the others are in existence.' 
Home: The remains of Old Buckenham Castle, one of the many properties owned by Audley
Legacy: Audley Street in Mayfair is named after the landowner and money lender
Mr Reed added: 'I am so excited about it. 
'I have found some lovely 13th-century thimbles but not something you can associate with a specific person like this. 
'If I keep metal detecting for the next 20 years, I don't think I will ever find anything as good as this.' 

The ring is currently being held at the British Museum, and it is not yet known what its final destination will be.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 03:55:44 PM »

imagine finding that on the beach badgers , you would get 300 scrap for that  Cheesy Cheesy

the mighty xp Deus
HAMMERRHOID

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »

Find of a life time a lovely ring with great history

You can kill a Sheep once , BUT YOU COULD SHEAR IT EVERYDAY
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:26:12 AM »

oooh look at dat beauty oooooooosh bang tidy

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
whosyouruncle

Dig attender

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 07:54:12 PM »

Wow ,what a find.

whosyouruncle
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:02:33 PM »

Cheers for posting Neil Wink