Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lesson Learned  (Read 2209 times)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« on: April 16, 2014, 08:02:40 PM »

They say you're never too old to learn.  Well I had a good example of that this afternoon. I finally got into the last of my really badly mineralised fields, complete with my new Ultimate coil.  What a bad idea but at least I know now not to do it again.  A few weeks ago I saw Chef(Geoff) had put a post on after a Rally with some of his thoughts about big coils.
I have to agree with every word.  They are over sensitive to some conditions. I started with settings the same as last time I was out and it nearly drove me crackers. In the end I had adjusted to High Trash and sensitivity down to 10 before the coil stabilised. That's down from 18 so nearly half. Enough to make the new coil on this ground useless.
Things improved when I got into a field that has been cultivated but it makes me wonder how it will react to the messy beaches around my part of the coast. Not well I think so I'll take my little NEL coil as back up next time I go.
Another lesson learned.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
roaljodaka
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:23:20 PM »

Hi val, when researching the safari, there is a clip on youtube about different coils on an air test and he was very disappointed with the results as in saying not worth bothering with!!  Undecided
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:49:52 PM »

Roger the Safari is an FBS machine the same as the Etrac or Explorers, this has an advantage of continual ground balance which means that is requires a constant background reading from which to measure the difference when passing over a metallic target, airtesting as the guy did on you-tube means that there is no measurable background as the coil isn't moving to the ground so the Safari isn't really working. The only plus of this type of test is that smaller targets (small hammies) give a better distance reading because there is no mineral camouflaging of the target Wink
roaljodaka
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »

Roger the Safari is an FBS machine the same as the Etrac or Explorers, this has an advantage of continual ground balance which means that is requires a constant background reading from which to measure the difference when passing over a metallic target, airtesting as the guy did on you-tube means that there is no measurable background as the coil isn't moving to the ground so the Safari isn't really working. The only plus of this type of test is that smaller targets (small hammies) give a better distance reading because there is no mineral camouflaging of the target Wink
Gottcha, cheers cheff  Grin blumming youtube lol. Wink
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:28:56 AM »

on beaches it will be awsome val.i wouldnt have one otherwise love

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:30:04 AM »

air tests are bollocks by the way roger

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
outlaw

Chairman Brecon MDC ( since 2013 )

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »

air tests are bollocks by the way roger

I will second that also  Roll Eyes
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 06:42:29 PM »

A further up-date to the learning curve.  I wasn't going to bother taking the Ultimate Coil to the beach after my experience in the mineralised field but reading Mikes comment I thought, give it a try. Not fair to judge till you know. So a quick tidy round and off I went for an hour. (That lasted 2 and a bit) 
What a difference. It was nice and stable, no falsing.  Clear concise signals that I could actually pin point. In all honesty though I was on a fantastic piece of washed out beach.(very odd)   Plenty of diggable signals but sadly no bling.
One interesting find was a ship half penny with gilding still on it.  Couldn't think why any one would gild a half penny till I noticed the date,,,,,1954.
It's restored my faith in beaches, as long as the conditions are right.

Val

* 001.JPG (292.66 KB, 900x600 - viewed 320 times.)

* 002.JPG (236.13 KB, 900x600 - viewed 318 times.)

diggaduff

Xp Deus user

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »

Well done Val, and obviously 1954 is a good year  Wink

Life's about getting Hammered                                               Pembrokeshire Searchers
bristolminelab
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »

use my safari with a ultimate coil on the beach Val and it works great. Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 07:45:29 PM »

Take no notice of me Paul, just having a Senior Moment.  Thought that was the year the Queen was crowned  Roll Eyes

Feel more confident with it now Bristolminelab. Wink

Val

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal