Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman for ID  (Read 13686 times)
diggaduff

Xp Deus user

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »

Nice coins all  Smiley

Life's about getting Hammered                                               Pembrokeshire Searchers
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »

I was thinking the same thing Paul that bluey green colour is or can be verdigris formed between coins Huh
hoover-G

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 07:39:53 PM »

constantius/constans, mid 4th century,  Virtus leading young barbarian from hut beneath tree

Thanks pal. Looked it up found this page it's just over halfway down

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/ccc.html
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 07:45:46 PM »

i must admit that of the myriad of reverse designs that were used on the roman coinage, this is one of my favourites and most symbolic. The imagery is powerful.

I also like the twins suckling romulus and remus. If yo uwant to know more about the wonderful reverses that are out there, try this link.

http://finds.org.uk/romancoins/personifications

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 08:00:44 PM »

I was thinking the same thing Paul that bluey green colour is or can be verdigris formed between coins Huh
As you say Geoff it can be formed between coins, mine was no doubt as I found another coin and it matched the verdigris marks exactly on the first coin, where they had laid in the ground together over many years ,I had 7 coins in the area Roll Eyes still looking for the mother load Shocked it's just a hunch and worth Rob concentrating the area as I'm sure we all agree Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 08:03:40 PM »

If anyone wants a reference work for Roman coins you can download the previous (2005) ERIC from here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxtf-O7KMnEnTGdEQ19ZbDhXNFU/edit?usp=sharing
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 11:17:58 PM »

I'd beg to differ on that one, I'm not sure what the difference in the alloy is between your average grot and the follis but 9 out of 10 of the ones I find come out in pretty good condition whereas the grots have suffered badly. Wink

Well, the larger ones I've found have all been pants. I think the reason they are better (in some cases) is that they have a slightly higher silver content and this is mostly on the outside. At some point too there was a change from brass to bronze to leaded bronze. I know (having heated them up) that you can often get beads of lead from coins of magnentius and the like.
CUT/HALF

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »

Lovely coin
Rob Two Spades

XP Deus

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »

As you say Geoff it can be formed between coins, mine was no doubt as I found another coin and it matched the verdigris marks exactly on the first coin, where they had laid in the ground together over many years ,I had 7 coins in the area Roll Eyes still looking for the mother load Shocked it's just a hunch and worth Rob concentrating the area as I'm sure we all agree

Its from a scattered hoard probably. Had about 55 coins spread over a 50yds x 100yds plus lots of pottery, 3 brooches and a bracelet. All roman. Under crop now of course, will be ploughed in late September. With so many nails in the area nothing was over 4" deep so I expect a lot more over next few seasons.

2017:
9 Hammereds - best: Edward IV Groat
46 Roman Bronze
1 Roman Denarius
Late Saxon strap end
2 Roman rings
2 Roman brooches
1 Roman Seal box
Rob Two Spades

XP Deus

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2019, 04:49:29 PM »

Well this topic has very happy ending  Grin
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48215635

2017:
46 Roman Bronze
1 Roman Denarius
Late Saxon strap end
2 Roman rings
2 Roman brooches
1 Roman Seal box
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 05:48:56 PM »

Wow - great news Rob. What a fantastic find.

I saw this posted on another forum this morning and didn't make the connection that you are a member here.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 07:29:22 PM »

Nice to hear some good news. Great outcome Rob. Bet your having sweet dreams about the settlement.

Take its time going through though. A mere 5 years  Shocked  Roll Eyes

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Rob Two Spades

XP Deus

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 07:02:12 PM »

Thanks!  Yes, it took a lot of searching before the hoard that was first mentioned here finally got found. The top of the pot had been clipped and about 8 or 9 similar coins found their way into the plough soil.  The hoard was quite deep and it was a pottery scatter that gave the best clue.

2017:
46 Roman Bronze
1 Roman Denarius
Late Saxon strap end
2 Roman rings
2 Roman brooches
1 Roman Seal box
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2019, 10:32:26 PM »

it's interesting to hear these things - in your earlier posts you were mentioning that quite a number of coins came from that area.

How deep was it? You say that it was the pottery scatter that alerted you - was there no other pottery of a similar date in the area? Where I detect there's often tons of pottery (and very little else tbh!) - or no pottery - I've got a roman site where I know it is there, but have only found two sherds so far......did you make a educated guess and then dig out and area?

For the hoard I found, I'm pretty sure I found one of the coins about 6 months earlier, and it was only when I bought a new coil and found another, and then checked the hole and found some more that I knew I'd found something - and then the next day took off about a spade's depth in an area around the initial finds to look for the others - which in my case seems to have been a scattered purse loss.

What a cracking find anyway Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal