Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning hammered coin  (Read 36546 times)
WEBBER

« on: April 03, 2014, 08:56:09 PM »

Been out today after work and found a lizzie half groat but the one side is really black I have tried the foil but its still very dark .I have had this before and I think it must be the chemical sprays they put on the crops affecting the coins does anyone have anY ideas on how to clean them up?
Jeff The Wizard

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »

I am taking it for granted you are familiar with the foil method, and obviously wet the coin before wrapping it tightly in foil, shiny side towards the coin.
Did your coin become very hot, or was there no reaction ?

If ring pulls and bottle tops were currency I would be a rich man
roaljodaka
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:08:40 PM »

I am taking it for granted you are familiar with the foil method, and obviously wet the coin before wrapping it tightly in foil, shiny side towards the coin.
And you forgot to say stink  Grin
Jeff The Wizard

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:14:50 PM »

How could I forget that  Tongue Cry Pew

If ring pulls and bottle tops were currency I would be a rich man
roaljodaka
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 09:15:43 PM »

How could I forget that  Tongue Cry Pew
Lol  Grin
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »

Nobby tends to use his dremel Grin

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 09:26:05 PM »

Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »

If its not great condition use a silver cleaner on it to clean it. Then dip it in bleach until it goes black. Then use some more silver cleaner on a rag pulled taught to clean just the high points of the coin. I did it to this one.

* james.JPG (49.94 KB, 640x321 - viewed 1666 times.)

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Jimi nugget

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 09:51:50 PM »

Heya guys I'm sure my mate used buffer sol or break cleaner on his hammered coin it can up amazing double check with musket ball but I'm sure that's what he used buffer sol is used to clean alloy wheels to apply stick on weights n I doesn't damage alloy or chrome wheels at all it's amazing stuff hope this helps jus check tho

If you lye down with the dogs!!!!!!!! be prepared to wake up with fleas
nonker10

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »

i'll tell you the best way i've found and works every time.spit on the foil because the ensymes in saliva help break down the rubbish on the coin,but do not rub.if you dont smell eggs ie no reaction.what i do is get cream cif(jif) and rub the suface not for long.you will find that this highlights the high points whilst leaving the rest of the coin as is.if neccesary repeat the cif process if you hav'ent quite done it enough.i dont recommend this method to anyone but for me i have had virtually unrecognisible coins look as if they have been in a cabinet for years.dont forget to thoroughly was off the jiff though.let me know if you've tried it and had bad-good results

WEBBER

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 05:17:05 AM »

Thanks guys I did try the foil didn't get the usual fizzing and mell so I will give some of your ideas a try I will post the before and after pics if I can later.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 06:28:47 AM »

Hmm.

When I first started collecting coins, I used to use a lot of damaging techniques to clean coins.

twenty years later, or so, I've cut down what I use and try and be far more gentle in cleaning - after all any mechanical rubbing on a coin will quite possibly remove detail from it.

Cif and silver polish both contain abrasives - like very fine sandpaper and are partly loosening the black sulphides with chemical action and partly by abrasive action.

My current process for silver is to modify the silver foil and spit method to one where you wrap the coin in silver foil, but then you put in a plastic (or ceramic) pot with a generous helping of washing soda (which you can buy very cheaply from Asda and the like) and hot / boiling water (the hotter the water the quicker the reaction).

After a while you will see bubbles and scum forming on the surface (if you are bored you can always light the bubbles). you will know that this has worked because the silver foil will have decayed where it touches the coin.

Clean the coin using an old cellulose sponge (which is softer than the silver, so won't sratch it). You might need to repeat this a few times.

I don't use bleach to tone coins - even handling them a few times will tone back the silver.

If I wanted a quicker darkening, I use a combination of liquid soap and some spent jewellers' pickling (i.e stuff I've used to take the red and green corrosion off silver and copper).

I'm usually pretty lucky though - most of the silver coins I have had haven't needed much more than a wash under water.
anthonyjay

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 09:06:33 AM »

I use AMMONIA, just soak the artefact for a short while, then using an old tooth brush, clean under running water. ATB AJ
chantalpoole

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 09:14:21 AM »

plastic bowl lined with foil, put coin in bottom touching foil , pour generous amount of bicarb of soda on top of coin. take kettle of just boiled water (hotter the better) pour over coin and soda .wait to get knocked back by the stink of eggs as the sulpher leaves the coin and attaches itself to the foil. leave 5 mins then repeat until you are happy with results

started detecting nov 2013
3 x hammy
6 x rings (1 gold 3 silver)
2 x romans
10 x full silver coins
92g of silver
1 x trade weight
a million odds n sods
and a bucket of scrap

it was this or prozac
nonker10

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 10:50:56 PM »

sounds good probono i think you've sussed the cleaning,a nice subtle way sounds good.i know it's abrasive but i still like cif because it's quick and i'm impatient.+ i'm a nonker

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal