Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Detecting Wales Rally 73 - All Hail Emperor Dawson  (Read 20699 times)
briggs1969 ( Dawson )

Xp Deus

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 09:16:36 PM »

I must congratulate  Sir Neil  Grin on that great report once again great day thanks again  Wink

watch out there's foil in that soil Smiley
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 09:18:18 PM »

awsome guys an gals .weldone it looks cold by the way jeff is dressed.

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
diggaduff

Xp Deus user

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 09:23:17 PM »

Fantastic finds, will make a rally one day Smiley

Life's about getting Hammered                                               Pembrokeshire Searchers
jayhay69
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:40 PM »

great finds well done everyone Smiley

1 x Gold Guinea
1 x Gold posy ring
8 x Roman coins
2 x Roman Brooch
2 x Silver Denari
6 x Hammered
3 x Silver Milled
1 x silver thimble

Caius Vipsanius Ursus
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »

Detecting Wales Rally 73 All Hail Emperor Dawson

A return to Shepton Mallet was on the cards, as we knew it was soon to be ploughed and inaccessible for a few  months.  A short notice rally was duly arranged thanks to the ever so helpful farmers who own this site.

An early start for most saw everyone arrive by 9.15am and shortly after we were in amongst the stubble, fossils, hail and pasture. 

A beautiful early morning turned into a day of strange weather with intermittent hail throughout the day. It must have hailed at least five times in the 8 hours we were there, often scattering detectorists for the cover of trees and hedgerows.

When the hail stopped for five minutes I bumped into Wayno’s dad DB4 who was sporting a lovely silver late Victorian buckle ring. They must have been quite vogue at some time as buckle rings often turn up made of copper, silver or gold. They normally have the large buckle catch on them, which this one doesn’t – quite the different design and a great start to the day.

More hail, and I bump into Cheffy and Justin – one of whom has just found his first ever coin. I’ll let you guess which of the two it was.  Justin in case you were struggling was the answer, and he also had a 1400’s buckle and a giant ‘fossilised Snail’ which he kindly gave to TaffLaff.  Cheffy not to be outdone had a silvered Roman coin in his hand, and was the first of the day to smile back at us.

Throughout the day a few grotty hammered also put in an appearance for Dragons Breathe and  John Sheely who kindly gave the farmers wife his Lizzy clipped groat at the end of the day. Grotty was also the theme for the Romans that is until Jeff the Wizard rocked up with a stunner of a siliqua that has been pierced in antiquity. Just like the buckle rings, there was a point in time when Roman coinage was fashionable to wear – we’ll probably all be doing it next year!

He who you normally hear before you see, aka Rambo had kept his shirt on today and had unearthed a nice example of a George II farthing to add to his blossoming collection. The prize of the day though belonged to his partner (not in the romantic sense I hasten to add) Dawson!

We were all hanging around the cars chatting with the farm owners at the end of the day, when I spotted Dawson idling over with a “I’ve got something nice in my pocket look”. He wasn’t lying either as he pulled out a cracker of a 2nd century fibula with the scarcity of having its pin still intact. As Cheffy pointed out the catch plate had snapped and that how the Roman lost it nearly 2000 years ago. A prized find for any Roman collector.

Other finds were drifting in, but by now I was frozen and we headed home with a crazy Dylan following our every move. Hope you enjoyed the deliberate detour via the housing estate in Bridgewater!

Thanks as always go to Taff for finding the land and the wonderful farmers for having us again. I am sure we will return once the plough has worked its magic and replenished the farm.

We have a number of irons in the fire at the moment with farms all over the place  lined up from now until November, so keep checking in at Wales’ Number One Detecting Forum.

Keep The Faith
Neil

Well done guys and girls, the second time I missed this rally, due to other commitments and not 20 minutes from doorstep Huh Will be at next one for sure, well done to the guys for organising a great day out again Wink
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 10:39:43 PM »

i am gutted too paul,bloody mother in law still wont die,time to up the dose Roll Eyes

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
jtalbot0001

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 10:53:45 PM »

Some lovely finds everyone, for me the fibula is the find of the day. I have to be honest and say I am jealous not having found that one lol, but good on you for finding it and saving it from further destruction from the plough. Nice write up once again Neil.

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Doug

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 10:57:52 PM »

Thank you everybody for making me feel very welcome at my first Detecting Wales rally.

Yes it was a tad bit cold,wet and windy but thats the name of the game.

I did find the odd couple of bits which I was more than happy to donate to the farmers wife.

Doug
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 01:22:46 AM »

Thanks once again fellas for another great DW rally .Although not much in the way of finds for me , it was a really enjoyable day out as always on these rallies, with all the camaraderie amongst everyone. It was nice to be greeted by a beaming smile from Taff and a big hug from Cheff after they came skipping down the farmyard and a warm friendly handshake from Neil with one hand as he wrestles £7.00 away from you with the other. On the way home I'm sure Taff  was practising being a driving instructor and trying to give Neil lessons ( which he obviously needs) Grin . If you are ever looking to buy a house near Glastonbury, then just see Neil, as he knows all the local council estates.
Just one question. How on earth did you manage to take a photo of Little Red Riding Hood holding a buckle at yesterdays rally?

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
anthonyjay

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 09:30:17 AM »

Well done everyone who had finds at this dig, some really nice pieces. ATB AJ
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »

A great day out so thank you all who were there. Dylan all I can say is that Neil must have left Taff in control of the Sat Nav because after a rally at Ludlow we both needed fuel and Taff says "follow me there's one on the Sat Nav" and yes you guessed it we ended up in the middle of a housing estate Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 11:25:55 AM »

Yes well done DW on the great rally and once again Neil great write up even thou Cardiff struggling,

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 01:23:20 PM »

Lol  Geoff they even had me doubting my sat nav, but somehow they or should I say Neil
Still Managed to end up on the right road  Huh .Was that by luck or judgement ? I'll leave that for the viewers to decide  Roll Eyes Grin

Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »

I don't know I get abused for late rally reports, my driving, navigation and now my beloved Cardiff City - the membership of this site has gone to the dogs I can tell you! I remember the days when there was respect and honour amongst detectorists! Wink

Oh and of course I knew where I was going Dylan! Roll Eyes

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 02:14:59 PM »

Of course you did Neil, I never doubted you for a minute  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Huh Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal