Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Land history  (Read 3968 times)
Scott1989
Rally attendee

« on: March 16, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »

Hi all,

In everyone's opinion what's the best way of choosing a site to detect? I have thought about going to my local library and trying to find old maps showing land prior to development. Just wondering does anyone have any other tips?!

Thanks
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:36:24 PM »

Hi all,

In everyone's opinion what's the best way of choosing a site to detect? I have thought about going to my local library and trying to find old maps showing land prior to development. Just wondering does anyone have any other tips?!

Thanks
Old maps are good, county archeology journals are excellent for research, personally I would sign up to Archi, Find U.K. Archaeological Sites, there you have a massive amount of research at your finger tips. Also don't for get to drive round looking at old churches, and land near abouts.
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 06:11:29 PM »

Any piece of land can hold the unexpected I've detected in a field adjoining a 9thC Saxon church and found squat but I've also detected fields in the middle of nowhere and founds more history than the local museum. Just get land and detect it you'll be surprised Wink
carling2

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 06:23:34 PM »

any land can hold a few nice surprises as Geoff says ,, known historical areas can be quiet for finds or if your lucky quite productive,,i find the best way to pick good sites is see if any land sits on a parish boundry {usually very good for finds} close to water sources {but not to close}  fields that have high banks with trees in there hedges can be a good indication of history,high points {even very small ,when you see when the shadows are across the fields , good thing the sun is about now Wink  land on or near crossroads can also be good ,,so I guess the best way to get good sites is look at a map then spend a few hours staring at some birds eye shots of the land such as google earth and then do some door knocking....good luck.
davethepaint

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »

Just found this site today when researching a new permission in Bolton http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/ found it quite useful as it shows maps of different dates. hope this helps Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal