Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Working the wet sand  (Read 6730 times)
Christoph1945
« on: March 10, 2014, 05:16:28 PM »

Having been laid off detecting for over a month; I decided to put in a day's beach detecting and arranged to meet up with Richie Sixpence at Talacre on Sunday. Having given it some thought; I made up my mind to leave the Euro Ace at home and take the CS4PI, a long handled spade with a large blade, and my trusty ProPointer. This time, I was going to give that wet sand some welly!  Grin

It was an interesting day, with good weather and good company. We didn't have any major finds but got plenty of fresh air and exercise. My best find for the day was a 1937, George VI Half Crown. Other than looking very green, the Half Crown was in pretty good condition. Interestingly, I also found a kennel shaped dog tag with the name George on it and a phone number stamped on the reverse side. When the wet dog tag came out of the sand, I initially thought that I had struck gold!  Huh

* Sunday March 9th.jpg (120.44 KB, 422x596 - viewed 641 times.)
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »

well done on the finds  Wink
Christoph1945
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 05:38:20 PM »

Thanks m8. I was dead chuffed with the half crown, but sadly I have never been able to find a Victorian coin on those sands.  Roll Eyes Once had a Victorian penny at Barkby.  Smiley
grego
NWDD Member

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »

Nice to see you back Chris.

Grego
Christoph1945
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 06:28:28 PM »

Nice to be back. I never realise just how addictive detecting was going to become; it must be those little shots of adrenaline into the blood stream each time the bloomin detector beeps and you wonder what you are going to unearth.

Me thinks that I will take the EuroAce with us to Spain when we next go on holiday to Benidorm. The Mrs suggested that I take a detector this year but I declined. Silly me; suffered major withdrawal symptoms for a whole month!  Roll Eyes

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 07:45:33 PM »

Yep, take the detector and leave the wife at home Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 07:49:16 PM »

you might want to ring the number on the dog tag mate to tell the owners George aint coming home  Roll Eyes Shocked Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 08:00:32 PM »

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
Christoph1945
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 08:29:15 PM »

you might want to ring the number on the dog tag mate to tell the owners George aint coming home  Roll Eyes Shocked Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Area code was 01978. I think that's Wrexham; isn't it?   Wink
diggaduff

Xp Deus user

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 08:31:50 PM »

Well done on getting out and finding stuff  Smiley

Life's about getting Hammered                                               Pembrokeshire Searchers
Richie sixpence

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 03:47:32 PM »

Hi Chris
Have you cleaned the Half Crown up yet? I would love to see a better picture of it  Wink Nice and shiny  Wink

Regards Richie sixpence  Smiley

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
Christoph1945
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »

Good Morning Richie,
                                   I haven't yet decided to clean that half crown, it is still just as it came out of the sand. When the little blighter first came up, I thought that it was going to be a Victorian coin; but hey ho one can't have everything.  Sad

It's strange that we have never had any Victorian coins off that beach. The oldest coin that I have found was a George III halfpenny and I am wondering if that could be linked in to those two wrecks that I told you about!  Wink

What you were telling me about high and low tides makes a lot of sense now and I understand why that should be.

I am presently trying to organise an other trip down there but the wife presently has several United matches to attend and I'm not certain when we will be opening the van up. PM me and we can see what can be organised.  Smiley
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »

I'd have thought that a little time in vinegar / lemon juice / coke should help with the green on the half crown, although I find that the half silvers either clean very well, or end up a little porous (especially the 1920s George Vs). I use (currently) phosphoric acid, which is just like having strong coke Smiley
Christoph1945
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 10:49:37 PM »

Thanks Probono,
                             I haven't yet decided on what to use for the cleaning of the half crown but I do have lemon juice / white vinegar / salt / and hydrogen-peroxide in stock, but no phosphoric acid!  Smiley

I think that lemon juice would, perhaps, be the gentlest medium to use. I will keep you posted on my progress and post a pic on this thread when I have cleaned it.  Wink

dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 04:05:22 PM »

cillit band Wink

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal