Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this Sir Walter Raleigh's ship?  (Read 5638 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: March 06, 2014, 09:04:37 AM »

By Sarah Griffiths

A ship that was part of a famous fleet led by Sir Walter Raleigh, which sank without a trace, could have been found at last.

Scientists are testing the remains of a shipwreck thought to be the Flying Joan, which was scuppered as the legendary explorer began his search for the ‘Lost City of Gold’.
The 50ft boat set sail in 1617 as part of a fleet led by Sir Walter looking for the mythical riches of El Dorado.

The stricken 50ft boat set sail in 1617 as part of a fleet led by Sir Walter Raleigh looking for the mythical riches of El Dorado

It sailed from Plymouth, Devon, towards the West Indies, but was destroyed by a huge storm and sank without a trace.

The 120 tonne ship has lain on the sea bed for nearly 400 years but divers think they have finally found its remains off the coast of Cornwall, along with Tudor guns and pottery.

Early analysis of the wreckage has proved inconclusive but English Heritage has this week sent off hull samples to be carbon dated by experts in a bid to solve the mystery once and for all.

Divers Todd Stevens and Robin Burrows found the wreck in the summer of 2012 after using a magnetometer to pinpoint unusual objects on the seabed.
They say their photos and artefacts prove it is Sir Walter’s ship, but experts have never verified the find.

Divers Todd Stevens (pictured) and Robin Burrows found the wreck in 2012 after using a magnetometer to pinpoint unusual objects on the seabed. They say their photos and artefacts prove it is Sir Walter's ship, but experts have never verified the find. In this photo, Mr Stevens is holding a 'bung hole jug' circa 1550

SIR WALTER RALEIGH
Sir Walter Raleigh (1554 - 1618) was an English aristocrat, writer, poet, soldier, politician, courtier, spy, and explorer.

He was popular with Queen Elizabeth I and instrumental of the English colonisation of North America, paving the way for settlements in Virginia.
In 1594 he heard about a 'City of Gold' in South America and sailed to find it, publishing an exaggerated account of his experiences in a book that contributed to the legend of 'El Dorado'.
But after Queen Elizabeth died in 1603, he was imprisoned in the Tower of London for being involved in the Main Plot against King James I.
In 1616, he was released to lead a second expedition in search of El Dorado in 1617, but it was unsuccessful and men under his command ransacked a Spanish outpost.

He returned to England and to appease the Spanish, was arrested and executed in 1618.

.The Flying Joan, captained by John Chindley, was known to have sunk off Scilly on June 12, 1617 as it departed the West Country, led by Raleigh’s 440-tonne ship called The Destiny.

The fleet of 30 ships was scattered by a storm shortly after setting sail and two ships, including the Flying Joan, sank.

The expedition was Raleigh’s second failed attempt to find a ‘City of Gold’ thought to be somewhere between Trinidad and the north east coast of Venezuela.
Mark Dunkley, maritime designation advisor for English Heritage, said the carbon dating analysis will likely take several months.

‘The remains of Elizabethan wreck sites are extremely rare and when discovered in English waters, they are considered to be nationally important,’ he said.
‘English Heritage cannot commit to any association with Sir Walter Raleigh until we have completed our investigation of the site and have analysed the results of tree-ring dating, which we will be undertaking within the next few months, to determine whether the hull timbers are Elizabethan or not,’ he added.

* article-2573757-1C0D571200000578-673_634x508.jpg (59.69 KB, 634x508 - viewed 1285 times.)

* article-2573757-1C0D598400000578-203_634x545.jpg (52.58 KB, 634x545 - viewed 1506 times.)

* article-2573757-1C0D5B3F00000578-691_634x443.jpg (39.72 KB, 634x443 - viewed 1480 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:26:59 AM »

Like a lot of interesting sites reported on land 'THEY', the powers that be, seem reluctant to verify anything they haven't found themselves.
It is well known that there are hundreds of ship wrecks around our coast. Think we'd all love to find just one with some treasure still hidden in it.

Thanks for posting Neil.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 05:35:54 PM »

Excellent read Neil. Thanks for posting.

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
diggaduff

Xp Deus user

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:18:50 PM »

Thanks Neil, I love reading about  new discoveries as it gives some of us a  little glimmer of hope  to finding the big one Grin

Life's about getting Hammered                                               Pembrokeshire Searchers
wet feet again

xp Deus

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 11:52:26 PM »

The wreck is in shallow waters by light penetration. Single cylinder no nitrox.12 to 15m at a guess, loads of bottom time.
Great visability to and a fantastic wreck find hope it is looked after and the bods do protect it from wreck divers. As in my day anything and everything was removed from wrecks declared and left in shed, some things went to museums.
a great story to follow

legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 01:01:48 AM »

very interesting read,and i never knew raleigh was executed,mind you he still made a good bike  Grin

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »

yes indeed i had many of sir walter's bikes when i was young Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

the mighty xp Deus

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal