Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: hereford searchers md club  (Read 16113 times)
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 09:56:56 AM »

Carling,   don't know what part you're from but I can tell you, without any doubt, IF a Roman coin were found in my Parish it would make news head-lines in all the local papers.
Although I see your point. It wouldn't prove they were here. What Roman has been recorded around here is not pure but Romano which only proves an influence not a presence.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 11:42:40 AM »

The information you see on the PAS records open to the public aren't the detailed records they hold Huh older records just give "parish" the newer records give a 6 figure ref number but this is the reference is the centre of one square kilometre so that all finds within that square have the same number.
I obviously don't know but in my experience the majority of detectorists who record give the correct information, those who don't I would think are either detecting illegally and don't have permission to detect that land, don't want the the land owner to know what's been found or are just paranoid.
To many detectorists the importance is on the "thing" to archaeologists it's what the "thing" represents in terms of time and place, nobody cares if you've just found a rare Mary half groat that you've been wanting for 20 years but it does pin that place with usage in the Tudor period. Giving the wrong details is worse than not recording at all IMHO.
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 04:09:34 PM »

It seems that hereford has some of the latter detectorists Geoff which is a shame  Angry

the-BANGOR-citizan

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »

The information you see on the PAS records open to the public aren't the detailed records they hold Huh older records just give "parish" the newer records give a 6 figure ref number but this is the reference is the centre of one square kilometre so that all finds within that square have the same number.
I obviously don't know but in my experience the majority of detectorists who record give the correct information, those who don't I would think are either detecting illegally and don't have permission to detect that land, don't want the the land owner to know what's been found or are just paranoid.
To many detectorists the importance is on the "thing" to archaeologists it's what the "thing" represents in terms of time and place, nobody cares if you've just found a rare Mary half groat that you've been wanting for 20 years but it does pin that place with usage in the Tudor period. Giving the wrong details is worse than not recording at all IMHO.
Well said Chef. I will point out in addition that the system is seriously undermanned and under funded IMO as well. The only face for most detectorists is the FLO but would like an official explanation on why all finds are not displayed on the database and why a simplified version of the PAS Database is not available for the public. Paul it would be criminal to display exact grid references of all finds. Common sense tells you why.

Remember Farrar Road
Farmer Phil (always remembered)

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal