Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How deep ?????  (Read 3175 times)
Loner
Rally attendee

« on: November 19, 2008, 05:48:40 PM »

Just like to know how deep down people have managed to dig things up from and what detector they used to do it. How deep do these detectors actually get to ...?
1morecoin
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:14:03 PM »

Bronze Age Axe heads at varying depths between 16-22 inches with an Explorer XS in pasture, good solid two way signals, Archaeologists excavated the find holes and measured them so this is accurate.
12 inches on a Groat in pasture with the Explorer SE, again this was measured and not guessed.
Pot of Silver Denarii at 17 inches with a Minelab Sovereign XS 2A pro.

These are a few accurate depths that i can remember.

Steve.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:41:22 PM »

Silver shilling dated 1919 at about 14 inches. Have a look at the in the soil shots in the Gallery as proof. My spade is there for scale.

Huge lump of iron/copper mix that myself and Mark (DetectingWales.com member) dug at 25 inches plus on the Explorer II. We had visions of a bronze axe head hoard! right location for it as well! Signal was nice all the way down - must have been the size that fooled the machine!

Hard work in swelttering sun in a stone  infested soil!

Remember that one Mark?

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Jeb

from the N Wales Mountains

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:51:52 PM »

Just like to know how deep down people have managed to dig things up from and what detector they used to do it. How deep do these detectors actually get to ...?
I never like to express "depths". To be honest with you , I don`t carry a tape measure with me so i don`t ever know what depth they are . Of course i could guess but then i`d feel like the Fisherman tale  Grin

Heaven won`t take me, and Hells afraid I`ll take over.
borderfox.1495

I HAVE FOUND MY FIELD OF DREAMS IN WALES

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 10:59:14 PM »

my record is 18 inches with the ex 2,  bronze age turrett ring, but was nearly under a large stone with a little bit showing, that was with the 1050 coil, i now have the dd coil on and last week was digging most of targets between 12inches to 18 inches or more  mostley shilling size or less bloody hard work  john
simon c

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 11:38:54 PM »

Deepest find with an XP goldmax power was a purse frame at 10 inches,"Jeb" an easy way to fairly accurately measure depth is to mark 2 inch markers on your spade,then you can reasonably determine the depth,obviously you need to check this after a while if the spade wears down at the tip,Picture shows 10 inch deep purse frame with spade for depth.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:43:03 PM by simon c » Logged
PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 08:29:05 AM »

Hi loner

Its like saying how longs a piece of string really.
Unfortunatly Metal Detectors technology still has its limits,
Soil compositing, moisture,size of the object,type of metal all plays its part.
As a general rule the larger the object is the deeper you,ll be able to detect it .

My finds rate had gone down since getting an Explorer because it finds items deeper and i spend more time digging then my Old Advantage Pro, the phrase swings and round abouts springs to mine lol
This weekend i found a half penny at least 13 inchs down, the blade on my shovel is 12inchs long and it was past that. and last time i was at porthcawl i found a 6inch dia pipe 26 inchs down

Regards Phil
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:17:24 PM by PHIL YNYSBOETH » Logged
BottyBurp (Kris)

To "Search and Protect"

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 10:29:12 PM »

I don't think I've ever really had to dig beyond 12" (I tend to give up after that)!!

I know I shouldn't but I get in a Kuffuffle & move on...

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE & SIGN THE GUESTBOOK.
H.M.D.C. Member
S.H.R.A.D.S Member
N.C.M.D. Member
www.freewebs.com/krisupfold
www.freewebs.com/hucclecotemetaldetectingclub

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal