Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MUST HAVE BOOKS  (Read 4953 times)
NEMESIS

« on: February 27, 2014, 05:37:25 PM »

Hi.   Its the nuisance again (try in to get my post ratings up see) LOL.
        Are there any recommended 'must have' books for identifying objects and coins?  I know there is a plethera of books with info out there , but are  there recommended ones that would  cover a wide range of objects/ materials etc.
    I would rather purchase 3 or 4 more expensive books than 20 cheappie ones, if you get my drift.     
       Cheers.
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 06:30:16 PM »

you may like this series by gordon bailey

http://www.greenlightpublishing.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9452075

or a spink coins of england book, [cheaper to buy one a couple of years old, rather than brand new!] .. Chef may have a few for sale, unless he's  got rid of them by now!

then theres the buckles book, by whitehead

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 07:31:14 PM »

God Alan that was 3 years ago since I was selling Spink catalogues Undecided
It really does to a certain extent depend what you expect to find, it's pointless investing £70 in a Roman brooch catalogue if you are unlikely in finding them because of location.

As Alan says the Spink "Coins of England and the United Kingdom" is a must to help id your coins, the new one is only £16.75 from Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/England-United-Kingdom-Philip-Skingley/dp/1907427317/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393526364&sr=1-1

"Benet's Artefacts of England and the United Kingdom" is a handy reference work to have as it contains a broad range of possible finds, not cheap but good
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Benets-Artefacts-Paul-Murawski/dp/0953617211/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393526747&sr=1-1

"Identifying Roman Coins" by Richard Reece, a very handy book to pop in your bag as a field guide. currently out of print but look for a reasonably priced one on the Bay (no more than £15)

"A Visual Catalogue of Richard Hattatt's Ancient Brooches" again a great field guide and indispensable if you have the area that throws them up.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Catalogue-Richard-Hattatts-Ancient-Brooches/dp/1842170260/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393527330&sr=1-1

There are some great downloadable archaeological reports (PDF and legal lol)  that include finds which are used by FLO's to help id finds;
http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/resources/AY17-15-Medieval%20Finds%20from%20York.pdf

http://cat.essex.ac.uk/reports/CAR-report-0002.pdf

The Gordon Bailey books are OK but very expensive and not enough references for my liking.
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 07:40:46 PM »

mind you ,you can just use your computer  Grin

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
galoshers

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 09:02:09 PM »

books by nigel mills are ok , an old thames mudlark mate of mine  who has dug up most of what he writes about
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:15:23 PM »

I started off with (at that time Seaby's) Coins of England / the Uk.

It's cheap and it'll cover enough of the coins to give you a fairly good idea.

In answer to Chef and his books on brooches, some of us by the books because they have pretty pictures in them Smiley

But seriously - the Spinks book is gold dust - I check things in it a couple of times a week probably - anything else, and you can post it here - it's amazing what you can learn from a forum - I've certainly learned a lot on this and other forums.
legio11augustus
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 01:03:11 AM »

had hattats brooches book,havent found 1 brooch in all my time detecting ,,think i opened it a few times ,sold it last year

non atrocitate non clementia mutabatur
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 02:06:32 AM »

In answer to Chef and his books on brooches, some of us by the books because they have pretty pictures in them Smiley

Typical Oxford grad Grin Grin Grin
NEMESIS

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »

Thanks again everyone.  You've all been a great help.
     Im old school see and I rather have it in black and white in front of me other than researching non stop on the NET.  Suppose I will still be doing loads of that anyway, but a few basic books will cut my PC time down a bit .....    I HOPE.     lol, 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal