Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New Pinpointer....Xpointer  (Read 31849 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: February 25, 2014, 05:32:20 PM »

Well I have finally got around to opening the box of the new pinpointer and done some comparison testing with the Garrett Pro-pointer.
It is called an Xpointer by Deteknix and comes boxed with a security lanyard, instructions, battery and holster.
Overall the appearance is identical to the Garrett probe so much so that the two battery covers are interchangeable, the Xpointer cover having an O ring fitted to help protect from water ingress.

The first difference is that the Xpointer has two buttons, the forward button when pressed singularly is your power button and the rear button allows you to choose between audio and vibrate as on the Garrett or vibrate only or audio only, I'm not to sure why you would use these latter two but there they are.
When the rear switch is held in and the front button is pressed it scrolls you through the sensitivity settings from 1 to 4, one, two, three or long tone signalling which you have chosen.

I've never been one for a pointer having greater sensitivity as in my book that defeats the object, if you feel you need a pinpointer with lots of range then you either need a new machine or you need more practice in pinpointing (and that comes from one of the worst in the business Grin)
So initial build quality is the same as the Garrett but what of performance?
Using a modern 5p and swapping the battery to try and give a level playing field performance was a little less than the Garrett on sensitivity 1 and a little more on 4, the difference between the individual settings are so slight that I think 1 and 4 would have sufficed.

With build quality and performance being roughly equal the main question is going to be longevity and that I'm afraid I can't test, my trusty Garrett is in its 4th year and is going strong but you don't have to look far to find others who have not been as lucky so one can only keep the fingers crossed that they have a far better standard lifespan.
The big bonus of the Xpointer is that it's only £60 as opposed to the Garrett at almost £90, the pointer will be available from a UK supplier very soon (now available from Detectorbits) who I hope will keep the price near the same and if so then I think the Garrett, Minelab and soon to be released Whites and their ridiculous prices will be forgotten.

http://www.detectorbits.co.uk/the-all-new-pi-xpointer-from-detecnix/

Wink Wink
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 04:58:11 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

utrinque paratus , Gwell angau na Chywilydd

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »

geoff i think you missed a worthy note , i seen a few people wondering around on the last rally looking for their pinpointer that they had left by a hole ,  Embarrassed Embarrassed this one actually beeps continually after not being moved for three minutes , it wont make you remember to pick it up lol but it will be easier when you go back to locate it and its happily beeping away  Wink Wink
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:45:31 PM by jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones » Logged

the mighty xp Deus
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »

Very true Justin but you do have the security lanyard so you never leave it anywhere, I've had my Garrett, and still do, as I said for nearly 4 years, no alarm and no lanyard I do wonder at times who gets these people dressed in the morning Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 05:51:08 PM »

haha Cheesy Cheesy quite a handy feature though geoff

the mighty xp Deus
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »

looks good Geoff and a nice test , I see its listed in $$$ will it attract vat and / or import tax if you order 1 from china via hong kong

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 05:58:26 PM »

No, well at least mine didn't and being under the magic £100 mark it should come through fine Wink
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 06:02:30 PM »

No, well at least mine didn't and being under the magic £100 mark it should come through fine Wink

not sure on £100 Geoff , from the usa its gift up to $40 anything above that you get a right hiding  Angry

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 06:10:02 PM »

Well the "Rules" state that if it's over £15 then you must pay VAT and over £135 you pay import duty but from experience on Chefphones components if you stay under £100 then you're safe Wink
HAMMERRHOID

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »

Got to watch you for them customs charges plus the royal mail handling fee

You can kill a Sheep once , BUT YOU COULD SHEAR IT EVERYDAY
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 07:17:41 PM »

DHL!
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 07:32:25 PM »

DHL!

surely all parcels go through customs and excise  clearance before they enter the uk regardless who ships them , iv been done loads of times with items  under £100  from the states , bill was £18 once  Shocked Shocked

jcb (THE THIMBLE) jones

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 07:40:13 PM »

i must be lucky then i have bought stuff from america , china and lots of other countries and quite a few of them have been over 100 pound and i have never paid anything extra  Smiley Smiley

the mighty xp Deus
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »

DHL!

surely all parcels go through customs and excise  clearance before they enter the uk regardless who ships them , iv been done loads of times with items  under £100  from the states , bill was £18 once  Shocked Shocked

As I say you don't pay import duty on items under £135 so we can forget that, VAT is 20% if caught so the bill would be £12 but like Justin I've been lucky Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 07:56:39 PM »

Very true Justin but you do have the security lanyard so you never leave it anywhere, I've had my Garrett, and still do, as I said for nearly 4 years, no alarm and no lanyard I do wonder at times who gets these people dressed in the morning Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Wink

A good report Geoff, what im sure will come in handy for someone.

Iv never been one for a probe, but back in the day when I first started 9 out of 10 copper penny's I would spade (big time) Cheesy..... I think one would of been handy back then coin shooting Wink
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »

Great report Geoff very informative well done mate. 

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal