Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mudlarking  (Read 14107 times)
HAMMERRHOID

« on: February 23, 2014, 07:48:24 PM »

On the 2nd March me HAMMERRHOID and my son CUT/HALF are going mudlarking on the Thames we have our permits , but would welcome any advice and tips we can use a metal detector but is eyes only better  Huh

You can kill a Sheep once , BUT YOU COULD SHEAR IT EVERYDAY
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 07:50:38 PM »

I'm really envious, I would love to do that

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 07:54:44 PM »

On the 2nd March me HAMMERRHOID and my son CUT/HALF are going mudlarking on the Thames we have our permits , but would welcome any advice and tips we can use a metal detector but is eyes only better  Huh
Cant give you advice but would love to do theThames? May be D/ W can arrange a Thames rally  Shocked Grin
HAMMERRHOID

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »

I'm really envious, I would love to do that
Anyone can do mudlarking you just down load the application form from the port of london web site and apply to the crown estate for your permit you must have a permit or you will not be even allowed to lift a single stone without one  its quite expensive though £30 for just a day and it is tidal relyant

HAMMERRHOID

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:02:02 PM »

Cant give you advice but would love to do theThames? May be D/ W can arrange a Thames rally  Shocked Grin

Thats a great idea it would be something different

Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 08:03:16 PM »

But whos going to be on guard while you're gone ? Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
galoshers

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 08:06:20 PM »

30+ years of Thames ML under my belt Grin ,eyes only may be best IMO Wapping is giving up finds at the moment ,and generally east London area. the time of tide makes a difference as mud can collect on some tides and you want some sun from the right direction to illuminate the lost finds.,so your eyes can see them .and get down low .some old eyes only experts used to wear knee pads and crawl along the foreshore.
late tides are usually mud free whereas early tides can be very muddy making it hard to see finds on the surface.

if theres a hammered 1/4 or 1/2 ,which there must be tons as they were missed ,you need to be low and slow to see them amongst the tiny bits of slate and general debris that has been smashed to smithereens over the millenia..

i was on a dig once and my pal was using the compass 77B which rarely missed much and i checked his spoil with a sieve ,and he had missed a hammered 1/4 with the compass 77B !

and you dont need a licence to do eyes only .   only if using a machine.
some areas are out of bounds now like Westminster near parliament which used to be very good.
if you are seen even walking along there the riverboat cops will go ballistic ,with a loud haler, and threaten you with arrest  

in front of the house of commons i used to find loads of plates and cups with the parliament crest on them  where the MPs had chucked them into the river over the years .the canteen must have wondered where all the crockery was going to

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:19:18 PM by galoshers » Logged
HAMMERRHOID

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »

30+ years of Thames ML under my belt Grin ,eyes only may be best IMO Wapping is giving up finds at the moment ,and generally east London area. the time of tide makes a difference as mud can collect on some tides and you want some sun from the right direction to illuminate the lost finds.,so your eyes can see them .and get down low .some old eyes only experts used to wear knee pads and crawl along the foreshore.
if theres a hammered 1/4 or 1/2 ,which there must be tons as they were missed ,you need to be low and slow to see them amongst the tiny bits of slate and general debris that has been smashed to smithereens over the millenia..

i was on a dig once and my pal was using the compass 77B which rarely missed much and i checked his spoil with a sieve ,and he had missed a hammered 1/4 with the compass 77B !

and you dont need a licence to do eyes only .   only if using a machine.Thanks for your advice we will be at Bermondsey any good ?
some areas are out of bounds now like Westminster near parliament which used to be very good.
if you are seen even walking along there the riverboat cops will go ballistic ,with a loud haler, and threaten you with arrest 

deepersweeper

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 08:20:30 PM »

have a great day Hammerrhoid i can't make this one but might do the next one :)have a great day

I'd rather be having a bad day out detecting,than a good day at work.
XP Deus,Garratt probe,Ws5
jonty

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »

I notice all the mudlarking detectorist on the TV programmes use a mini coil of about 5 inches. I suppose this is to minimise the effects of mineralisation which must be very high on the banks of the Thames.
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 08:45:05 PM »

Good luck to you both, it will be a very enjoyable day im sure.
Take plenty of photos, for us and il look forward to your report Wink

Id use the smallest coil you have, for getting between the rocks, and all the  iron/nails.......... Smiley
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »

hope its gone down by then bud or you will need scuba gear

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol
galoshers

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »

the miniest of coils is needed to overcome all the scrap metal on the foreshore ,zillions of nails and screws and washers and minute scrap metal pieces .from centuries of shipping and general metal waste accumulated over the millenia  .
its a worst case scenario for a control box to sort out the signals .
thats why its just better to use eyes .
ship and boat nails and rivets and washers can be brass or copper so discrim wont help you .squillions of them to battle thru ...and good luck bro
HAMMERRHOID

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 07:24:50 PM »

Good luck to you both, it will be a very enjoyable day im sure.
Take plenty of photos, for us and il look forward to your report Wink

Id use the smallest coil you have, for getting between the rocks, and all the  iron/nails.......... Smiley
Thank you for the advice

HAMMERRHOID

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »

the miniest of coils is needed to overcome all the scrap metal on the foreshore ,zillions of nails and screws and washers and minute scrap metal pieces .from centuries of shipping and general metal waste accumulated over the millenia  .
its a worst case scenario for a control box to sort out the signals .
thats why its just better to use eyes .
ship and boat nails and rivets and washers can be brass or copper so discrim wont help you .squillions of them to battle thru ...and good luck bro

Thank you for the advice

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal